• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    .308 Load Development. Images attached - Opinions requested!

Up for discussion:

IMR4064
    175 SMK's
    Lapua Brass
    Winchester Primers.

On the #7 target, I feel like if I wouldn't have pulled the stray, it would have been a .44" MOA grouping. Its probably a bit fast.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What makes you think the velocity is too fast on target 7? You seeing flattened primers or ejector swipes? What length barrel?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Try Remington 9 1/2 primers instead of WLR. I prefer Winchester brass over Lapua but if Lapua makes you feel good, there is nothing wrong with that. Winchester is lighter FWIW.

Unless you are going to compete in benchrest, all the groups are acceptable to me as 100 yard groups. Personally, I shoot 10 shot groups because that is what is shot in High Power matches. I shoot for group at 300 yards. Because the bullet is always rising into a 100 yard target, I shoot for group at 300 yards because the bullet is always falling into the target.

Also, you might consider shooting groups over several days and not emphasize too much on what happens on one particular day. You could have created a 1/4 MOA rifle/ammo combo but you aren't up to that on a given day or string of fire. Looking at photos of your groups does not allow an outside observer to evaluate much of anything. Critical self analysis is essential.

Edit to add; I just realized these groups were shot at 200 yards. You are sitting there gloating and smiling a bit aren't you?:): 39.5 of 4064 is my favorite...

Last edited:

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    What make rifle, my Remington 700 does the same thing to any loads above mid-range.

Below the primers will flow into the beveled firing pin hole in the bolt face

DSCN0407.jpg

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What I do like seeing is consistent velocity strings. I’m slowly improving my technique and equipment when reloading. I picked up a new scale and this is a direct result. The velocities show I’m moving in the right direction, I feel.

ill agree completely that I need more time behind the rifle but if the rifle is capable of shooting X, I know where I need to get to to achieve X as a system. Goals.

i’ll continue to load and heed the advice but I need to have a consistent load. I have some varget and I may try it for grins when I run out of 4064 but I’m pretty happy with the 4064.

Im only using Lapua because Penrod said Lapua and 175 SMK’s if memory serves.

keep in mind these groups were shot at 200 yds. It’s tough at my club to do 300+ yds because when others show up, pistol or someone who wants to shoot under 200 yds, u have to finish up quickly.

i think we can agree I’m on the right path. Just improving and happy with the results.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Because you have Lapua heavy brass which means its internal capacity is less than Winchester which means that you might possibly get one or two more reloads out of your expensive brass before primer pockets enlarge with the slightly milder load. 39.5 will work no matter the temperature. Plus it didn't group all that bad at 200 yards.

IMO, you being able to shoot consistently with a good load is more important than the perfect load. Which might only be perfect on a given day. If the load shoots inside the 10 ring on the F-Class target, you are GTG.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Because you have Lapua heavy brass which means its internal capacity is less than Winchester which means that you might possibly get one or two more reloads out of your expensive brass before primer pockets enlarge with the slightly milder load. 39.5 will work no matter the temperature. Plus it didn't group all that bad at 200 yards.

IMO, you being able to shoot consistently with a good load is more important than the perfect load. Which might only be perfect on a given day. If the load shoots inside the 10 ring on the F-Class target, you are GTG.

Nah. You got a race horse, let him run.

but, seriously- adjust to most accurate load, which I have found to be at near top of Max. Watch primer pockets & measure case h0ead because brass flows and you will know it when you see it.

Have fun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    42.5 gr IMR 4064 2,680 fps 2.800" Fed LR guest
    Exact replication of the Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr Load minus the gold primer they use which is not available to reloaders. Use the Fed GM210M Large Rifle primers instead. Trim case to 2.007. Fed cases use 42.5gr of IMR 4064. If you use brass with thicker case walls than Fed (ie, Win, Lapua, LC, and just about anything else) drop charge to 42.2gr. DOC8531

308 Winchester Load Data - Handloads.Com

Top Bottom