• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'd like to hear some general tips or thoughts on running cast lead reloads through a 1911. Is there anything special I need to know that wouldn't apply to other .45s? What are the reasons to use truncated cone vs rounded, and what are the applications for lighter vs heavier cast bullets?

I'm working on developing a .38 load as my first jump into reloading, but .45 is next on my priority list. Looking to use the HP38 that I already have on hand. I'm already seeing a pretty wide range of load data, bullet manufacturers, etc. Any favorites?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I've had some good luck with cast outta my 1911's, Just need to make sure the flare is enuff so you dont shave lead when seating. 230 Indiana Bullet Comp for me.

I dont shoot much cast anymore as plated are just as cheap. I honestly like the looks of the lead better than the copper. Ive messed with lead all my life, fishing jigs and bullets i'm trying to limit my contact with raw lead.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I recommend doing research on "Wild Bunch" shooting matches in SASS or other cowboy action shooting organizations. The 1911 is required for the match and all ammo has to be lead. While I don't currently shoot Wild Bunch, many in our club do. They have the science of loading .45 ACP with lead perfected.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've shot a lot of cast lead in my 1911. don't push them to fast or you'll have leading issues.
    Just a heads up, you don't want to shoot lead in a Glock. So if you have or buy a Glock in .45 use plated of FMJ in it

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Shot a lot of lead through my Glock and my 1911. Dirty as all hell. What I saved of bullets I spent on copper Chore Boy pads and lead solvent.

Tried plated and never looked back. I don't even think about cleaning now until 700 rounds or so then it's a quick wipe down and lube the rails back to shooting.

Not woth messing with lead anymore. Lead exposure, smoke, dirty, dam lube builds up in dies and barrel. It sucks!

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Shot a lot of lead through my Glock and my 1911. Dirty as all hell. What I saved of bullets I spent on copper Chore Boy pads and lead solvent.

Tried plated and never looked back. I don't even think about cleaning now until 700 rounds or so then it's a quick wipe down and lube the rails back to shooting.

Not woth messing with lead anymore. Lead exposure, smoke, dirty, dam lube builds up in dies and barrel. It sucks!

This is great advice.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Shopped around, found some plated bullets within spitting distance of what most places were charging for straight cast. Thanks for the input.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I use HP38, Titegroup and Accawrit 5 and 7 for .45acp. It gets dirty but the gun is going to be cleaned anywho. 1911 is a mudder (apply more lube) and the revolvers (both kinds) don't care. Just not a big concern for me, not racing a clock or defending my life with them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    230 grain cast lead round nose, on 5 grains of Red Dot has worked well for me over the years in several guns.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve switched to SnS red coated 230 grain round point Bullets over 4.6-4.9 grains of Bullseye powder depending on which 1911 I’m shooting. I worked up the loads for each 1911 with a chronograph until I could get the pistol to shoot the groups I wanted. It’s fun and that’s what it’s all about.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Shopped around, found some plated bullets within spitting distance of what most places were charging for straight cast. Thanks for the input.

Yes they are not much more than lead and requires little cleaning of gun and loading dies in comparison.

Can't beat X-Treme on price or quality. Cabelas often runs sales with free shipping and there is a rebate right now for 100pcs of brass.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yes they are not much more than lead and requires little cleaning of gun and loading dies in comparison.

Can't beat X-Treme on price or quality. Cabelas often runs sales with free shipping and there is a rebate right now for 100pcs of brass.

4 days, still waiting on X-treme to ship. Heard they filed for bankruptcy recently, too.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive run a LOT of lead through both my 1911's.
    200gr SWC in the limited gun,
    155gr SWC through the open gun.
    universal clays in both loads.

:cheers:

guinnb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    I run them by the thousands through my 1911 for bullseye shooting. Lee 6-cavity 200g SWC cast or Magnus 200g swaged. The cast I lube/size and also Powder coat. Really liking the powder coating..no lead exposure, little to no smoke, and near zero leading. Also using Clay's..very clean, accurate, and cheap.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you are seeing a lot of leading then your bullets are sized wrong for your barrel. Usually this happens because the bullets are undersized and gas is getting around the bullet. I ran nothing but cast for years when I shot IPSC/USPSA and never had any leading in a quality barrel like a Wilson or Kart.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom