• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Was wondering on any recommendations on an ultra sonic cleaner. This will mostly be used to clean a .22 suppressor and down the road some cases for reloading. Not wanting to really spend over $100.

Thanks

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Thanks for the info Chezuki... That with a 20% off coupon works for me. I've been looking for a similar type cleaner for small parts. :yesway::yesway:

Edit: Picked up cleaner -20%, red fiberglass fish tape/rod, 33' fish rod kit, new pick kit, free mag parts tray.

Fathers day gifts from myself to myself. Already cleaned a batch of 300BO. Impressed.

Except for ZEP, what cleaners are you guys using?

:ingo:

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The small Hornady ultrasonic cleaner works great using the Hornady fluid. Brass comes out really clean. For the price it can’t be beat.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    For any UT case cleaner, tumbler, size matters, and power is your friend.

Get the used American made dental ultrasonic cleaner off eBay. Mine was 50 bucks, holds 3 gallons and most importantly, has a kickass UT generator and built in heating element, drain valve. 500 pistol brass only takes 20 minutes.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Get the used American made dental ultrasonic cleaner off eBay. Mine was 50 bucks, holds 3 gallons and most importantly, has a kickass UT generator and built in heating element, drain valve. 500 pistol brass only takes 20 minutes.

100%.

Get one in your sights that is big enough, then go one sizer larger.

Be aware that ultrasonic cleaning makes bottleneck cartridge brass fairly, almost, nearly TOO clean. Neck tension may stay the same, but release pressure won't...tread lightly if you have any loads that are on the ragged edge.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I have no practical experience with this but a number of YT vids show that ultrasonic is not that great for brass and much better results come from tumblers and wet media (stainless).

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...which is what I use when I really want to clean casings.

Rice is good also.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I tried ultra sonic for brass and wasn’t impressed. Good old corn cob in the vibratory is fine for me.

The UC is great for cleaning baffles and gun parts though.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

100%.

Get one in your sights that is big enough, then go one sizer larger.

Be aware that ultrasonic cleaning makes bottleneck cartridge brass fairly, almost, nearly TOO clean. Neck tension may stay the same, but release pressure won't...tread lightly if you have any loads that are on the ragged edge.

I'm already sold on looking for a larger unit. Cleaned up some cruddy brass (almost too clean as some mentioned above) and a disassembled BCG almost spotless.

:ingo:

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Thank you all for the input. I was looking at the Harbor Fright one for now. Good to know it is working well for you Chezuki. I'll also check out Ebay and see what I can find.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I second the Hornady. I clean all my brass (with the brass cleaning formula liquid) and small gun parts (with gun formula liquid) with very good results. Stubborn stains may take two cycles but this rarely happens unless you overload the basket. I've reloaded almost 10 k rounds in the last year and have barely used a quarter of the brass cleaner bottle.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    The Harbor Freight one with diluted Krud Kutter works great on my Guardian. It turned this:

Into this:

Have you run the tube and the end caps in the cleaner. I’m looking to buy the Harbor Frieght unit for my Guardian. Thought about trying a AK muzzle brake as well.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Have you run the tube and the end caps in the cleaner. I’m looking to buy the Harbor Frieght unit for my Guardian. Thought about trying a AK muzzle brake as well.

I have. No issues.

When the baffles are really bad, I put them in a small glass jar of straight Hoppe’s and set the whole jar in (the ultrasonic passes through glass).

Top Bottom