• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My wife knows the owners of the local antique store they had a bunch of reloading stuff that I was interested in. My wife finally brought it home and I went through it. Many of the boxes were moldy, a lyman ideal 55 powder measure was seized up the original box and papers were covered in mold, a lyman 450 with rust but still works, another piece of casting equipment that looks similar to the 450 that is seized up, brass and gas checks. I also had some dies and reloading trays along with a ATM 5290 oscillating wet stone with buffing wheel that still works.

The thing in question is the lee melting pot. All I can tell from looking it up is its a 10lb pot but it appears the previous owner just left their lead in there as it definitely doesn't look like it would hold 10lbs. If I heat the pot back up should I be able to get the lead out? I don't plan on casting and am looking to sell some of the stuff off to recoup the $50 spent. I figure a clean and empty pot would sell faster than a dirty full one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of casters leave lead in the pot. It reduces surface exposure to air and rust that comes from the exposure. It also heats the lead in the pot faster.

10# of boolit alloy should bring an extra $5 at +/- half price.

I'd just clean everything exposed and tell the buyer just that.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A lot of casters leave lead in the pot. It reduces surface exposure to air and rust that comes from the exposure. It also heats the lead in the pot faster.

Hopefully when I get off work in the morning I can heat it up and transfer the contents to a muffin pan.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can use a fan to blow the fumes away from you also.

Sorry, not trying to overdo the precautions. I figure it's just better to make an informed choice rather than learn later you shoulda...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You can use a fan to blow the fumes away from you also.

Sorry, not trying to overdo the precautions. I figure it's just better to make an informed choice rather than learn later you shoulda...

Nah its all good never messed with casting and don't think I ever will.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I do have a case of lee liquid alox plus one extra for 13 bottles. Could I use this as lube in resizing my 223 & 7.62x25 cases?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Was able to let the lyman 55 soak in pb overnight and get it back up and running. I also was able to melt the approximately 6 lbs of lead and transfer to a makeshift mold. Seems to work fine and doesn't leak as I guess some do. Next up is to fill a bucket with soapy water and scrub all the plastic reloading trays and lee die cases.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    We need some pictures.
    I enjoy casting, but I have about 40K bullets cast and ready for loading, so I don't think I need to do any for a year or two

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    We need some pictures.
    I enjoy casting, but I have about 40K bullets cast and ready for loading, so I don't think I need to do any for a year or two

I'll have to get some pics of the unknown press. I got both soaking right now till Fri when I'm off.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    The Lee liquid aloe is not going to work well for you as a bullet lube. It is very sticky and is not water soluble so very hard to get off of cases (I don’t want to think of the mess in the dies). There are lots of good case lubes out there, I would stick with those.

Top Bottom