• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mntman0902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    dunreith
    Hey guys. a while back i posted a thread about wanting to devolpe a 10mm hunting load. well i got one worked out. myself and straight shooter, who has a 10mm, worked up a very decent load. in my last post, i wanted to get between 1250 and 1300 fps out of a 180 grain hornaday xtp. with some chrono work, here's what i got.

accurate #9 13.1 grains
    O.A.L 1.250
    S.D 4.56
    E.S 9
    FPS 1328

This load was shot out of my glock 40 mos. with a alpha wolf barrel, 6.63 in. no pressure signs on the casings. primers were not flattened. this should do me just fine.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You are still a little shy of the book maximums, so that's good. Keep in mind that you have over 1.5" more tube than the factory test pistols, which were undoubtedly geard towards the "usual" 5" 1911 frame 10mm.

Having said that, put a magazine of the rounds in a hot car in the sun for 1 hour.

If the pressure signs stay the same, and your pistol stays in one piece, you're probably good-to-go.

-Nate

mntman0902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2018
    dunreith
    thanks nate for the advice. I never leave my handgun in my truck tho. I also shot this same load out of my standard glock barrel with no issues. do you see any problems with the standard barrel for this round.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well, I can't say about the Glock barrel. I'd assume, given the load not being a lead bullet, that it will perform just fine. If you need to scratch that itch though, Bar-Sto is just waiting.

The idea about the truck cab has nothing to do with actually LEAVING the pistol in a truck, it has to do with high-temp testing of the load to make sure that at 110-120 degrees, it is still copacetic. It's just that most guys don't have a temperature-controlled oven that can hit those temperatures and hold.

-Nate

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Well, I can't say about the Glock barrel. I'd assume, given the load not being a lead bullet, that it will perform just fine. If you need to scratch that itch though, Bar-Sto is just waiting.

The idea about the truck cab has nothing to do with actually LEAVING the pistol in a truck, it has to do with high-temp testing of the load to make sure that at 110-120 degrees, it is still copacetic. It's just that most guys don't have a temperature-controlled oven that can hit those temperatures and hold.

-Nate

The high temp testing seems a bit overkill to me for a load that is still under maximum and that is intended to be used for hunting when the ambient temperature is certain to be well under 100 degrees. It would certainly be a good idea if one was planning a hunting trip to equatorial Africa but I'd submit that relying on a 10mm in such a locale would be a far bigger concern. :D

Top Bottom