would these be safe in a 30/30 tube mag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While a little pointy, I've used another brand version of that bullet in 30-30 before with no issues.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That bullet would likely be safe in a tubular magazine, since the protected point is not going to pierce the primer in front of it.

The bigger question is what range of velocities it is meant to operate at, for best terminal performance? I mean, there are plenty of bullets that are safe in a tubular mag that you can also load in a 30-'06, but many of them will blow up on close range shots.

Since that is a relatively heavy bullet, which Nosler says will still open up down to around 1,600fps, you could probably launch it at around 2,100 - 2,200fps from a 30/30 and get 150 yards out of it. It is designed for use from an AR-10, so 308 Winchester. If you were to drive it as hard as possible from a 30-'06, it will almost certainly still hold together well on close impact shots. In other words, it's probably a better choice for the '06 than it is for the 30/30, but still serviceable for both.

My question is this: Why compromise? The only possible advantage of forcing one bullet to work for two quite different cartridges is you'll have one or two less boxes on your reloading shelf. Since you're taking the time to make excellent quality ammo for your rifles, why turn around and choose a bullet that is NOT optimal for either cartridge? I mean, that Nosler bullet is designed for 308 rounds, fired from an AR...it isn't meant for the 30/30 or the '06. Buy some 160gr FTX bullets and LVR powder for the 30/30, then buy some 165gr Accubond bullets and RL16 for the '06...build the best possible ammo for both of your rifles instead of paying a premium for bullets that won't be "great" in either one of them. :twocents:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    My question is this: Why compromise? The only possible advantage of forcing one bullet to work for two quite different cartridges is you'll have one or two less boxes on your reloading shelf. Since you're taking the time to make excellent quality ammo for your rifles, why turn around and choose a bullet that is NOT optimal for either cartridge? I mean, that Nosler bullet is designed for 308 rounds, fired from an AR...it isn't meant for the 30/30 or the '06. Buy some 160gr FTX bullets and LVR powder for the 30/30, then buy some 165gr Accubond bullets and RL16 for the '06...build the best possible ammo for both of your rifles instead of paying a premium for bullets that won't be "great" in either one of them. :twocents:

Thanks for the tip. I wound up doing exactly what you recommended before I saw the post. Got the FTX for 30/30 and a few different variants of weights for the 3006.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the tip. I wound up doing exactly what you recommended before I saw the post. Got the FTX for 30/30 and a few different variants of weights for the 3006.

Excellent decision...and I bet you'll be really happy with those FTX bullets. They tend to be really accurate, even from a lever-action rifle.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I have used similar profile in tubular magazines with no problems. I also agree that the FTX bullets are a much better choice overall for my lever gun.

Top Bottom