• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Does anyone who has been in the reloading game have some tips or tricks to save money on powder? Places to watch for sales or discount codes, bulk deals, good retailers around Indiana?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bobcat Armament is in Shelbyville. He has good prices on powder and primers and is a helluva guy. He's worth the trip. (and he's an INGO advertiser)

Hell, he is known for bringing the store to YOU. If he's going to be somewhere like Friday Night Steel, he'll bring what you want with him so you can do the deal there instead of you making a special trip to the shop. And whenever I need any special stuff he doesnt stock, he happily adds my item to his regular warehouse order so I dont have to pay extra to have it shipped in special.

Just call or hit him up on the facebooks first to make sure he has what you need before heading over. I have failed to do that and come up short. (not his fault though)

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I second Bobcat. Fair on prices, and like mentioned above convenient. I buy all my powder from him. If he doesn’t have it in stock, he’ll have it by next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Third for Bobcat Steel..Big "K" and His Wife "L" are GOOD PEOPLE..
    His ONLY defect is His choice of College??? You know that there are better schools in Montana ...HA.HA.HA....Bill.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Indiana Gun Club has been my go-to place for powder. Not sure of the stock now since the fire. I'm stocked up for 5 years.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hard to beat Cabelas sales. I live close and can go pick it up. I used to hit shows and trade range brass for powder/primers. Cabelas is my new go to.

Bobcat is awesome. All my new gear is from him and hope to stop in my next trip south.

Just wait for sales. The more you buy the more you save. Keep in mind prices only go up. Stack it deep.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    For what is worth I have started used shooter world powder , it is Lovex, and about 21.99 a pound.....I was using IMR 8208XBR, at $33 a pound.....

There should be some deals to be had a Camp Perry during the NM

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    For what is worth I have started used shooter world powder , it is Lovex, and about 21.99 a pound.....I was using IMR 8208XBR, at $33 a pound.....

Another vote for Shooters World. Not much data on it yet though, so reload 'smartly'...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First of all, I have bought lots of powder and primers from Bobcat and regularly do so. :ingo:

That said, I watch the e-mail adds from the big online suppliers also. Brownells frequently has free shipping with free or 1 cent hazmat. If the powder or primers you regularly use happen to be on sale when these day long specials happen...

...bingo!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

I bought 8# jugs of CFE223 and H335 for $20/lb out of the door from INGC.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    doesnt anyone still buy bulk surplus powder? atleast for common rifle calibers

I do, at the Knob Creek MG Shoot held on the 2nd weekend of April and October of each year. There are at least 3 vendors there who carry surplus/de-mil powder and projectiles. Buying components from de-mil operations is the easiest way to save money on reloading.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    I save money by adding charcoal and a little wet mesquite. :):

tJfBvwM.jpg

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I buy when I see stuff at a good price. I buy at a good price, load with what I found and I’m happy. Precision cartridges get what power I want, so that gets bought new. Other get whatever I found cheap. Pistol particular, so many people are picky. I’m not. For plinking, 10-15 yard competition, etc, I’ve found loading what is in front of me works fine. I have lots of old stuff, Hercules bullseye, unique, tightwad, red dot, reloaded 7, etc. I buy when people sell cheap and I make due. I load 50 pistol rounds and test for function, then load the rest. For rifle, I’ve bought tons of military pulldown powders, h335, etc and use them for plinking and training loads. I have several lbs of powders that aren’t even used for stuff I load. Maybe I’ll purge one day. I’m a volume and discount buyer. Again though, for my precision work, it is rare I’ll find exactly what I want and I buy new, on sale. :)

Top Bottom