• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Trying to figure out a round to use in my G20 on my upcoming elk trip. I was looking at either Buffalo Bore or Underwood since I don't reload. Half of what I've read says my G20 will turn into a grenade after 10 rounds of that stuff, and the other half says shoot away with no worries whatsoever. Anyone here have any experience with either of these companies? Mainly looking at 200 grain loads.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I've fired a bunch of hard cast hand loads through my G21 I had left over. I read the same thing.

I used my head. Took a couple shots and see if it leading. It wasn't so I shot a few more and checked again. 500 rounds later no booms. Checked every so often anything sketchy stop for a through cleaning. Used lead solvent and chorboy copper wool.

Not something I would do alot of. Now yhat ammo is gone its plated or jacketed for me.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive always been told that you will just run into leading issues with Glock's Poly rifling. As usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle of what you read.

I would expect your accuracy to suffer if the barrel leads up, but thats it. (Not an expert, but doubt you will have a catastrophic failure due to leading) You can remove the leading with a couple strands of name brand Chore Boy pads wrapped around a cleaning brush. (dont get generic pads because they may be copper plated steel)

See if you can find some loads that are poly coated or plated. That solves the problem. Also Bobcat Armament down in Shelbyville will do custom loads. At least by the case anyway. He is my go to for competition loads when I dont feel like pulling the lever on my press 1000x. :):

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Kind of what I was thinking. I'm not planning on running thousands of rounds of the stuff through it, but a few boxes for practice and then that's what will get carried in the bear woods.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think your best bet is to proceed on course. After sighting in/practicing, use a strand of chore boy to scrub the barrel. Repeat the chore boy step when you get back from your hunt.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If it's truly hardcast (hardness >15 Brinell), leading will NOT be problem.

What's a problem in Glock barrel is really soft lead bullets. Stick with the harder bullets and you'll have no problems at all.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=54

Leading generally is not caused by the hardness of the alloy, it cause by the poor choice of correct lube or the lack of enough lube to run the lenght of the barrel.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Leading generally is not caused by the hardness of the alloy, it cause by the poor choice of correct lube or the lack of enough lube to run the lenght of the barrel.

^^^This is true, along to the size/fit to barrel.

Why not use Powder Coated projectiles and get the best of all worlds??..Bill.

Top Bottom