• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I am struggling between choosing which bullet feeder to add to my Hornady LNL AP. I am looking at the Hornady bullet feeder but tou have to purchase 2 seperate units. One for 9mm and another for 22cal. I can purchase a 30 cal conversion for the 22 cal feeder for $120. But price aside, it sounds like the Hornady bullet feeders are NOISEY but the collater does all the work for you.
    I am also looking into the SOCAL S&W MAG-P bullet feeder. It is quieter but you have to fill the tubes. It also looks like the weight of the bullets on the feed die causes it to cant a little.
    What do you guys think? Do any of you have experience with either bullet feeder?

I know i can count on my fellow HOOSIER RELOADERS for some insight! Thanks in advance!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We've only used the Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die with the tube. Extended the tube to touched the ceiling to add more capacity. Picked up the long clear tubing from McMaster. Havn't taken the plunge into the Mr. Bullet Feeder club yet...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My experience is only with the Hornady dies in both 9 and 45acp, and then a kludged together tube that I hand fed. I've tried using both plated and coated bullets. Initially I couldn't get the bullets to drop into the cases. Finally out of desperation, I used some 400 grit sandpaper on a dowel and "polished" the lower finger assembly. If I belled the cases more than I would like, I got the unit to set a bullet onto the case. but then randomly, the die would puke out like 10 bullets and drop them everywhere. I had only loaded about 1500-2000 rounds and the lower spring fingers snapped in half. Hornady did replace the part w/o cost, but indicated that unless I used jacket bullets exclusively, they wouldn't warrant the part a 2nd time. I've got a friend who also had issues with the Hornady bullet seat dies, and took them back. He didn't have much better luck with the rcbs bullet feeder dies.

Although more expensive, it looks like the Mr Bullet Feeder dies are a much more robust option and is where I would go if I were to pursue a bullet feeder again.

I've ended up installing a 3D printed case feeder, using the Lee case collator funnel and that has sped up my reloading more than the bullet feeder ever did, and this still lets me look into every case to validate the powder charge. I need to print another one and document the assembly and function of it.

--Rick

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just got a Mr. Bullet Feeder for my Dillon press, and I am not sure if they are compatible with the Hornady, but I would guess that it would not make a difference.

Excellent piece of kit for sure. Highly recommended.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have the Hornady bullet feed collator. I had major issues until I called Hornady and was given bullet feed setup advice. Love it

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I just got a Mr. Bullet Feeder for my Dillon press, and I am not sure if they are compatible with the Hornady, but I would guess that it would not make a difference.

Excellent piece of kit for sure. Highly recommended.

I do know for sure now that the Mr. Bullet Feeder will work with the Hornady AP. I had a Dillon 650 and it was a good press. I went with the lock-n-load due to the priming system, the powder drop, and the half stroke on every pull. I still love the blue cool aid! They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Thanks for your input!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have not done, but 99% sure I have seen MBF on LNL AP. I got an ammo plant for $850 + rebate, so I never played with anything else

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't think it's real important how the bullets get to the feeding die.
    GSI, Hornady, MBF, a 3D printed version, or home built, once the bullets are in column I wouldn't think it would matter.

Some feeder dies don't like a big column (weight) on top them, so some use stop switches.
    Hornady uses a cut out push feeder to relieve the pressure of the weight of the column which I personally perfer.
    By dropping, seating & crimping in one die, it saves space in the tool head.

There is a REALLY nice 3D printed version of rotor/flip feeder that's 3D printed on the market, I just bought a couple and I'm impressed.
    It comes with some small fasteners & springs, but the drive motor, drop tube (spring) & feed die will be up to you.
    This particular printer does serious infill so it's a sold unit, and at under $100 it's a deal if motor/wiring doesn't scare you.
    If interested I can connect you with maker in a PM.

IMG_1160 (2).JPG

9mm & .223, notice the difference in the drop tubes and rotors?

wileybelch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2018
    Maries County
    This MBF unit costs $1000 plus $250 for caliber change! You would have to reload at least 100,000 rounds to recover your cost of $0.01 per round just to have a little automation. Vanity of Vanities!!

Shwaisey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Get the 3d printable case feeder first thing. The mini mr bullet feeder for rifle and hornady feeders for pistol. Those run really well on my LNL

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This MBF unit costs $1000 plus $250 for caliber change! You would have to reload at least 100,000 rounds to recover your cost of $0.01 per round just to have a little automation. Vanity of Vanities!!

I paid $469 for my MBF for pistol caliber, slightly more for rifle ($495), where are you getting $1,000? Is there a different model for the LNL version maybe?

Conversion kits are $150.

Still pricey, but half what is being quoted here as far as I can see.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Hornady Bullet Feeder

Well, i figured I would try the pistol version of the Hornady Bullet Feeder. The collater runs perfect and adjustment is simple. I had problems with the Hornady bullet feed die. Collets A and B were not working right after many tries and testing. i finally got pissed and called customer service and they sent me 2 new collets. I will say their customer service is superb! If this doesnÂ’t work out, then i am going to buy a Mr. Bullet feeder die as they are better built. They have ball bearings in theirs. Her are some pics of the set-up. I am currently running 300 BLK, so the bullet feed spring is disconnected.
    Figured i would add a few pics of my 300 BLK set-up i am running now. I think i am going with the “SOCAL S&W bullet feeder for Rifle bullets. It’s pretty cheap and the reviews i see are good. I would love to see the Hornady rifle bullet feeder set up. Especially the rifle bullet feeder. Gotta have my TEA as well in my favorite cup!!! LOL
    D601C49D-3C3A-444A-92BA-9B99EB1C8964.jpeg
    F9491F63-C554-4E45-8798-6DF6579C0674.jpeg
    1FFD7712-22DA-4452-8884-01B5A7434AD0.jpeg
    5CCF8244-0686-4CD8-BA64-F9BE63820203.jpeg

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    That is very interesting to see just how different the Hornady feeder works compared to the Mr. Bullet Feeder. Completely different design for sure.

Let us know how it works out for you.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Just an FYI......AFter using the Hornady bullet feeder on 9mm, I have an update for you all. The collator works very well but don’t waste your time and money on the hornady bullet feed dies. After my second set of collets and spending time on the phone with customer service, it is hit or miss trying to get a bullet to drop. Due to the design, the Hornady dies just lack performance. I will however say that Hornady has OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    I recommend if you buy the pistol bullet feeder system, to purchase the Mr. Bullet Feeder Die instead of Hornady. The Mr. Bullet Feeder Die drops the bullets by 3 ball bearings opening up when the case raises the bottom part of the die. It also “tamps” the bullet into the case mouth via inertia.
    Just my two cents guys but i hope you learn from my mistakes!
    GSPBirdDog

Top Bottom