• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have found that this ammo is a perfect match for my Savage bolt rifle. I’d like to duplicate it as it generally runs around $.80-$1 per round.
    I’ve shot enough of it to have a supply of cases. The projectiles are easy enough to get but I have no idea what powder or primer Hornady is using. I could pull a few apart and get an approximation of how much powder is being used.
    Would Hornady give out this information if I asked nicely or this something they don’t share?
    Anyone else know?

Thanks, Matt

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Would Hornady give out this information if I asked nicely or this something they don’t share?
    Anyone else know?

Thanks, Matt

No, they will not give that information out, but you don't need it either.

I will get you the numbers for Reloder-15 tonight. I've done that load before, +/- about 5 fps.

In the mean time, go over to Grafs and get a few hundred Lake City casings (new, NO pull-down) on order. While they still have them.

-Nate

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    No, they will not give that information out, but you don't need it either.

I will get you the numbers for Reloder-15 tonight. I've done that load before, +/- about 5 fps.

In the mean time, go over to Grafs and get a few hundred Lake City casings (new, NO pull-down) on order. While they still have them.

-Nate

You must have bought the last of them. New Lake City brass shows out of stock.
    I look forward to your numbers. I’ve never used Reloader powders yet but this is worth buying a pound or 8.

Thanks, Matt

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ah shoot.

Sorry...3 day delay.

Yeah, looks like all the LC is gone for now. I am shooting a batch right now that shows pretty good promise..something along the lines of 1/2 Minute without much prep.

So, on review, here's what I did with the 75 BTHP Hornady Ammo:

Factory
    20" 7.7" Twist speed average was 2,686 fps;
    16" 7.7" Twist speed average was 2,505 fps;

My clone load ended up being:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My best group was .41moa with the factory 8026 loads. The others weren’t bad but they were all me. I could tell I was shaking more and sight picture was not solid. Got worse as day went on.

Matt

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The load, at long last, ended up being

23.6 grains RE15
    2.255"
    Remington 7.5BR

Easy things you should do are, in order:

At 100 yards:
    --test charge from probably 23.5 to 24.0 grains in 0.1 grain increments, then, on the best of those,
    --test seating depth from 2.235" to 2.255" in ~0.007" movements, then, on the best of those,

On a calmer day, or over flags, and at 300 yards or further,
    --try both the BR4 primer and the Remington 7.5 BR primers to see which one gives you tighter groups and specifically vertical.

I run 77 Sierra almost always at 23.8-23.9, but the Hornady seemed to prefer a little less.

Following the above, you should be able to find a load that will shoot in the 2's or 3's pretty easily.

Have fun and don't blow yourself up!

Top Bottom