• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhiteElder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2017
    Central IN
    First just starting to read some books on reloading and doing research. My cousin is letting me borrow his 550 while he is in the process of building a new house. Unfortunately he packed most of his tools to go along with it and are in storage. While I will turn to him for some assistance he has only been reloading a year or so himself.

I was given a Lee 4 die set for 380 and Dillon caliber conversion kit.
    My question is can I use the Dillon powder measure on the Lee powder through die? with or without the funnel adapter? Or do I need to get a dillon powder die and use the funnel that came with the caliber conversion kit?

Thank you

WhiteElder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2017
    Central IN
    Thanks I'll have to look into getting dillon through die.
    Would I be able to use the Lee thru die and funnel adapter and hand pour the measured powder?

WhiteElder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2017
    Central IN
    Guess I was thinking once I get to where I can start worming up loads hand dipping wouldn't be too bad for a few bullets. But I will definitely be contacting bobcat arms in the near future.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    Maybe I am missing something, but the Dillon 550 comes with a powder die and the conversion comes with a funnel.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    OP had said that the owner of the press had packed some of the stuff away. Guessing the powder through die was one of those pieces.

WhiteElder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2017
    Central IN
    Yep my cousin packed most stuff away including tool heads with powder through die. letting me have, for the time being, the press, powder measure, and primer tubes. So I have to get a whole tool die setup which isn't horrible. I just wanted to see if it was possible to use the Lee powder through die with the Dillon powder measure. Still learning so thanks for the info.

Once his house is built I'll either have been bitten by the reloading bug and buy a press for myself or just go use his from time to time.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    If I had choice to hand dip powder for a 550 or buy factory ammo, I’d buy factory ammo every time. It would be like driving a Ferrari with a moped engine. Just no fun. Given your situation, I’d feel really good about buying a 380 conversion for the 550 and going to town reloading. They’re cheap and will ensure you get everything a progressive press can offer. When you’re done with his press, you can sell the conversion for damn near what you have in it, or more likely you’ll be buying your own press. A 550 isn’t a bad place to get that started. Good luck!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    If I had choice to hand dip powder for a 550 or buy factory ammo, I’d buy factory ammo every time. It would be like driving a Ferrari with a moped engine. Just no fun. Given your situation, I’d feel really good about buying a 380 conversion for the 550 and going to town reloading. They’re cheap and will ensure you get everything a progressive press can offer. When you’re done with his press, you can sell the conversion for damn near what you have in it, or more likely you’ll be buying your own press. A 550 isn’t a bad place to get that started. Good luck!

^^^Agreed. 9 out of 10 people will say start with a single stage press, but it is really not difficult on a progressive like the 550. Heck, it can be used a single stage if you have enough time. Go slow at the beginning and always factor safety into everything you do.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Just go buy a Dillon powder measure. You will not lose much money if you decide not to get your own Dillon press. It holds the value very well.

I now have 2 650 and a 550, still I won't get rid of the Lee single stage any time soon. It's pretty handy when you need to fix a progressive press malfunction.

Top Bottom