• ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Help me spend my money, INGO!

I’ve been on a center fire kick for a few years, but I’m looking to get back to shooting 22. I have a 10/22, a 22/45, and some antiques. I can’t find any info in my search other that “buy what you can find” from 4 years ago.

Must be reliable, accurate, and clean-ish in that order. $0.05/ round would be great. There’s a lot of stuff out there and I don’t want to end up with 5k rounds of junk.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Target sports USA has had cases of CCI SV (5k) for $250 shipped for a while now and mini mags for $300 a case. Kinda hard to go wrong with either

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    CCI 0035 Standard Velocity.

Brownells...and wait a day or week until they have a sale/promo that appeals to you.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use cci blazer in pretty much everything other than my precision 10/22. Very reliable and accurate. Can be had in the .04 cents per round cost. So many great deals anymore the sky is the limit. Watch for sales and you can get cci sv for .05 and under as well. Armscor has ran well fro me too. Plenty of federal out there at or under .05 per round thats accurate and reliable as well. Check out the sticky thread on ammo and if you dont already, keep an eye out at slickguns.com as well. Psa and brownells regularly have great deals. And midway as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer the Wolf rimfire ammo; Match Target & Match Extra. The stuff shoots amazing out of all my guns.

CCI SV & Green tag, Winchester Super X, Federal GMM all shoot very good.

I've had zero luck with Federal Auto Match. I sold all of it at a loss.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just went through some testing of .22 LR ammo because I keep hearing that each rimfire gun has ammo that it prefers, and ammo that it does not.

I fired 10 rounds of each ammo type into the berm before testing to properly lube the barrel (I guess each ammo uses a different lube or wax), and ran a bore snake down the barrel between brands. I tested at 20 yards with my S&W Victory pistol.

I post this just to show that what works in one gun may not in another, and of course, comparing my pistol to your rifle is apples to oranges.

CCI SV and Eley seem to shoot best for me, but surprisingly, the Aguila Super Extra is really cheap and shoots pretty danged well in my gun.

Winchester Super X did NOT shoot well for me at all (worst of all the ammo I tested), and the Federal Champion looked "promising", but I need to test it a bit more (great windage-wise, but had some elevation issues which might have been the shooter's fault).

I found my gun did NOT like the CCI mini-mags which surprised me, and the Blazer (CCI), although better than the mini-mags, was towards the bottom of the list just above the Winchester.

BOTTOM LINE: You should buy some 50 round boxes of different brands and see what works for you. I know I was surprised a bit by what I found.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I completely agree that you should do a little playing around with whatever ammo shoots best in your gun. Back in the day I used to buy the Fed 550rd bulk packs at Walmarts just because those rounds always seemed to run well without a lot of jams. When those disappeared I switched to Fed Automatch bulk packs because they were available, but they also shot well and cycled. Those are the two I'd look at for normal everyday plinking and pest control.

I've never been a big CCI Mini Mag guy, but I'm starting to get into them just because the price has gone down and I'm starting to value quality more than quantity. They've got a top notch reputation for a reason.

For really tight groups and playing around with accuracy, the Wolf Match ammo is what I use. This is exclusively what I run through my bolt 22lr for plinking out to 300 yards.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Winchester Super X did NOT shoot well for me at all (worst of all the ammo I tested), and the Federal Champion looked "promising", but I need to test it a bit more (great windage-wise, but had some elevation issues which might have been the shooter's fault).

I'm seeing conflicting accuracy reports about the Winchester Super-X. Was yours in the 100 round plastic box or the smaller cardboard box?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Super-X, Wildcat, Automatch, Goldenbullet, etc. ammunition types will always have proponents of their virtue as excellent, accurate ammunition, and in some rifles, they can be.

But for general advice, staying with something like CCI SV is going to be a better long term investment, more cost effective when purchasing cases, and of more universal acceptance by multiple firearms than most of the above.

SV will not likely shoot EXTREMELY well in anything you own. It's not built for it. But what it WILL do is shoot pretty darn okay in almost everything, and it won't damage anything. It has also been made to the same spec since at least the 1950's, so much so that manufacturers have designed chamber reamers around it.

In 2.5 cases + a nauseating number of separate boxes over my life, I can recall 3? misfires with their ammunition. Painfully reliable.

I shoot a lot of Eley (Target for squirrels and 50m or less, Club for the same if I really need to make sure I hit or if I got a good deal, and Match for when I want to kill the *&^* out of something at long range), and SK Rifle Match ammunitions, depending on which rifle I am using and what I'm using it for.

But I've said before, and I'll say it here: If I could only ever have one more case of any .22 LR ammunition to last me the rest of my life, it would be CCI 0035.

-Nate

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think you have the general idea. CCI Standard Velocity is the best bang for the buck out there right now. I've shot many thousands of rounds of it, with no duds. Out of your Ruger pistol, it is probably capable of shooting 2" groups all day at 50 yards from a machine rest. Once you can do that, it is time to upgrade to some premium ammo that might cut the group by 1/2".

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been running aguila (red box) in my MKIV 22/45 and my mossberg 715T i use for steel challenge matches
    zero problems with the ruger after 1000 or so rounds.
    the mossberg is erratic, sometimes it runs several mags without a problem,
    then jams up tighter than a horse ass at fly time....

i have a match this weekend, gonna try some mini mags and federal auto match in the rifle and see what happens.
    :cheers:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Funny you mention the Mini-Mags again... I just ran my ammo test a second time yesterday, and the Mini-Mags kicked butt. I am not sure why they did not score very high the first time I tested them, but I am sure it was shooter error. I do notice that I start getting tired by the time I get through a few brands of testing, so yesterday, I took a break between ammo types to rest my arms.

Similar test to last time, but I shot 20 rounds on target this time (10 rounds into the berm, 20 rounds into the target), and ran the bore snake through the barrel between tests. 20 yards to the target. I also repeated the CCI Mini-Mag testing to verify the results.

Here is the order I got this time:

Eley Force High-Velocity
    CCI Mini-Mag
    CCI Standard Velocity
    Aguila Super Extra
    Blazer
    Federal Champion Value Pack
    Winchester Super X

The results really did not change much other than the Mini-Mags which moved way up on the list. All the other ammo type stayed pretty much the same, which is sort of what I expected.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm seeing conflicting accuracy reports about the Winchester Super-X. Was yours in the 100 round plastic box or the smaller cardboard box?

100-round plastic box.

Here is the picture from day 1 of my testing. Day 2 looked even worse (20 rounds instead of 10), but I haven't uploaded any pics yet from my phone. 20 yards, from a sandbag rest, red dot sight. The inner "1" circle is two inches. Pretty pathetic. My gun hates it!!! :)

32RRDst.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My home built 10/22. Likes almost everything. This pic is at 50 yards with just some standard 22lr ammo readily available. It shoots even better with Eley sv. Believe its the orange box Eley
    1zl4qrb.jpg

Top Bottom