• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I now have a Kel-Tec PMR30 that wants "quality" high velocity ammo.
    I'd like to find some CCI Maxi-Mags at a decent price.

Anyone have any leads on sales or specials?
    Don't really want to buy 5k rounds right now.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'll second the vmax ammo for the pmr 30. Those guns are ultra finicky and i had the best luck with the hornady. Ran better than the cci maxi mags for me.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The manual suggests using "high quality, brass cased ammunition" and also suggests it to be 40grs or heavier.
    It recommends CCI Maxi-Mags but I can't find them locally, and so far, everywhere I've checked is out of stock.

The only stuff I have on hand is Armscor.
    It runs just fine through my Henry. Not so much through the Kel-Tec.

Found some offerings on Midsouth.
    I just switched laptops and haven't imported my bookmarks.
    I had completely forgot about Midsouth.

I'll try not to let that happen again.
    Thanks for the reminder, and the suggestions everyone.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The manual suggests using "high quality, brass cased ammunition" and also suggests it to be 40grs or heavier.
    It recommends CCI Maxi-Mags but I can't find them locally, and so far, everywhere I've checked is out of stock.

The only stuff I have on hand is Armscor.
    It runs just fine through my Henry. Not so much through the Kel-Tec.

I know the manual suggests the 40gr and heavier but all i can say from my dealings with the pmr is it ran the hornady 30gr vmax the most consistent. Id say 95% The maxi mags were roughly 90-95% One thing that did help mine was running a bead of this stuff called 5 second fix(or something Like that) under the mag catch on the magazine. It held the mag in the mag well a little higher up and seemed to help some. The Pmr is a finicky gun for sure and led to me selling it. Became to frustrating at times at the range. Its a shame, because it sure was fun to shoot. I had even upgraded mine with the 505 barrel and muzzlebrake. Didnt help with feeding at all but made it a little more enjoyable for the wife to shoot. She didnt like the massive fireball and that upgrade did help that.
    Best of luck to you on finding an ammo that is truly reliable, because i dont believe there is one

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know the manual suggests the 40gr and heavier but all i can say from my dealings with the pmr is it ran the hornady 30gr vmax the most consistent. Id say 95% The maxi mags were roughly 90-95% One thing that did help mine was running a bead of this stuff called 5 second fix(or something Like that) under the mag catch on the magazine. It held the mag in the mag well a little higher up and seemed to help some. The Pmr is a finicky gun for sure and led to me selling it. Became to frustrating at times at the range. Its a shame, because it sure was fun to shoot. I had even upgraded mine with the 505 barrel and muzzlebrake. Didnt help with feeding at all but made it a little more enjoyable for the wife to shoot. She didnt like the massive fireball and that upgrade did help that.
    Best of luck to you on finding an ammo that is truly reliable, because i dont believe there is one

I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking.
    How many rounds did you put through yours before you sold it?
    I've read several reviews that say they are finicky for about the first 200 rounds or so, and then smooth out and feed fine, as long as you use "quality ammo".

I thought that sounded rather odd.
    I've broken in enough new firearms, and other mechanical devices, to know that machinery can hold idiosyncrasies all their own.

My brother has a PMR 30 and he has not run anything BUT CCI 40 grain Maxi- mags, and said he has had zero issues to date.
    His PMR30 is also new, but might have 50 rounds through it.

I don't mind buying some V-Max 30 grainers. I have a couple other platforms I can run them through if my PMR30 doesn't like them.
    Thanks again for the info.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm curious, if you don't mind my asking.
    How many rounds did you put through yours before you sold it?
    I've read several reviews that say they are finicky for about the first 200 rounds or so, and then smooth out and feed fine, as long as you use "quality ammo".

I thought that sounded rather odd.
    I've broken in enough new firearms, and other mechanical devices, to know that machinery can hold idiosyncrasies all their own.

My brother has a PMR 30 and he has not run anything BUT CCI 40 grain Maxi- mags, and said he has had zero issues to date.
    His PMR30 is also new, but might have 50 rounds through it.

I don't mind buying some V-Max 30 grainers. I have a couple other platforms I can run them through if my PMR30 doesn't like them.
    Thanks again for the info.

I put at least 500 rounds thru. Probably closer to 7-800 total. I know on the 505 barrel i put exactly 120 rounds thru it. Since that didn't help the reliability, i decided to sell. I've heard of others that have had no issues. But mine was definitely finicky. I had way better luck with it to than my wife and a friend of mine. When they would shoot it they'd be lucky to get 5-10 rounds to fire at a time. I could run several mags at a time with no issue, then have 5-10 ftes in the next 2 mags. Just not reliable enough.
    I had actually got it for the wife to carry because she's not a fan of recoil and has a hard time racking the slide on most semi autos. Figured 30 rounds of 22 wmr was better than 10 rounds 22lr with her Mark iv 22/45 lite. But with the unreliability, especially for her, it wasnt a viable option. Ended up getting her the Ez shield, with the funds from selling the pmr, and haven't looked back

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I contemplated buying the PMR several weeks ago, and I probably would have purchased one sooner or later, but just as a fun little plinker.
    The one I have I won last week at a FNRA banquet.
    Paid $20 for a "game of chance" and came up a winner.

So, for $20, I'll hang onto it for a while.
    If it doesn't work out I can always sell it for 15x what I paid for it!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I contemplated buying the PMR several weeks ago, and I probably would have purchased one sooner or later, but just as a fun little plinker.
    The one I have I won last week at a FNRA banquet.
    Paid $20 for a "game of chance" and came up a winner.

So, for $20, I'll hang onto it for a while.
    If it doesn't work out I can always sell it for 15x what I paid for it!

Yeah. I seen ya had won it. Id definitely hold on to it for awhile and see what happens. I probably would of kept mine just for the occasional range fun but was looking for something a little better than a 22lr for the wife to carry.
    Can't have her carrying anything thats not 100% reliable so that's the main reason i got rid of it.
    I hope yours becomes more reliable and for the $20 spent you cant go wrong either way

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    :popcorn:

I've only used CCI in mine... a couple different loads. Haven't had any trouble. The CCI Maxi Mag TNT makes really impressive fireballs!

Top Bottom