• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Bought a 9mm four-die set. Bullet seater wouldn't thread into my press, some of the threads appears to be buggered a bit (likely not that way from Lee, but my set was probably bought and returned). Dropped the die in the mail Thursday. Email today that it was received, threads were dressed and it was sent out today.

I'm optimistic this will solve the problem, and THANK YOU to Lee for excellent customer service.

You can pay more for dies, but you can't get better support.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I broke a small part on my press, sent them a photo, and they mailed me a new one for free. I've been using Lee for about 17 years now, no complaints at all.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My decapping pin broke on my 308 resizing die. I had the option of sending back the old one and getting a replacement shipped for free or via email add to cart and pay shipping only for a new one. Shipping was more than the part so i mailed them the broken one which saved basically $3. Would of had it quicker the other way but $5.40 to ship a decapping pin was a little bit much, especially when it only cost me $2 to ship old one back.
    Overall had the new pin in about a week, and I've had no issues with any of their products prior or since. I have a single stage and 4 hole turret press as well as die sets in 380, 9mm, 45acp, 223, 6.5 grendel, and 308
    Overall im extremely satisfied with lee products as a whole

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Lee tools are good for what they do/cost....

From MY Experience Lee tools are "What they Are"=The economy model of loading tools..

For ME: Redding tools = Snap-On Tools.
    RCBS tools = Mac Tools.
    Lee tools = Stanley/ Harbor Freight Tools/GlobeMaster Tools. (You "Old Timers" will remember them..)

As a retired GM Master Tech, I would NEVER take a torch to my Snap-On's or my Mac tools to make a special tool.

I would + have torched some Stanley/Harbor Freight/GlobeMaster tools to make a special wrench/socket, that no other tool was made for.

Yep, somewhat of a Thread Jack, but to ME==Lee Tools are what they ARE...Bill.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    From MY Experience Lee tools are "What they Are"=The economy model of loading tools..

For ME: Redding tools = Snap-On Tools.
    RCBS tools = Mac Tools.
    Lee tools = Stanley/ Harbor Freight Tools/GlobeMaster Tools. (You "Old Timers" will remember them..)

As a retired GM Master Tech, I would NEVER take a torch to my Snap-On's or my Mac tools to make a special tool.

I would + have torched some Stanley/Harbor Freight/GlobeMaster tools to make a special wrench/socket, that no other tool was made for.

Yep, somewhat of a Thread Jack, but to ME==Lee Tools are what they ARE...Bill.

:scratch: So, does your list also relate to customer service?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    :scratch: So, does your list also relate to customer service?

Yep, all of the reloading tool companies listed (Lee included) have EXCELLENT Customer Service..

Have you ever talked to a Dillon Rep.??
    They will have the new-free-part on it's way before you ever get off of the phone. To ME-ALL of the companies are great with their support. Question is--How is the QUALITY so that the warrantee is NOT needed to be used??
    Good Stuff does not need replaced until it is worn out==Years==...Bill.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Yep, all of the reloading tool companies listed (Lee included) have EXCELLENT Customer Service..

Have you ever talked to a Dillon Rep.??
    Question is--How is the QUALITY so that the warrantee is NOT needed to be used??
    Bill.

ive been reloading on a dillon i bought new in '96. the only stuff thats been replaced have been parts that were broken (admittedly, my fault) i dropped my press and broke the loaded round chute and spent primer chute. had the replacements within a week.
    dillon just recently replaced my determinator scale that was also purchased in '96.

i'd rather spend a little more money and NOT ever have a problem.....

:cheers:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I've found the "economy model" stuff can still put out a quality product, at least in the pistol stuff. I don't load rifle stuff so Billybob may be correct there.
    These are a few of my better grouping loads produced from my Lee turret using all Lee dies except for the crimp die...they are all Redding taper or profile crimp depending on the load.

44mag:
    Bayou coated 240gr swc
    7.5gr AA#2
    light profile crimp
    Ave: 1021 fps
    Min:1003
    Max: 1033
    Spread: 30 fps
    SD:9.2 fps

This load groups right around an inch at 50' from a crappy rest.

9mm:
    124gr Extreme rn
    4.5gr Sport Pistol
    light taper crimp
    FC brass
    Ave: 1079
    Min:1069
    Max: 1096
    Spread: 27 fps
    SD:8.2 fps

Best plated bullet load I've made yet that my SR9 likes.

9mm:
    precision 125gr fp
    3.7 gr Sport Pistol
    light taper crimp
    FC brass
    Ave: 967
    Min:956
    Max:979
    Spread: 23 fps
    SD: 8.5 fps

Most accurate load I've made in 9mm for my SR9.

9mm:
    147gr Precision fp
    4.0 Power Pistol
    light taper crimp
    FC brass
    Ave: 853
    Min: 840
    Max:868
    Spread: 28 fps
    SD: 8.6 fps
    This load is just slightly less accurate than the 125 gr Precision, by like ¼".

And while I havent had a chance to chrono my best grouping 38 Special load, in my GP100, it clusters 12 rounds in 1.25" from a crappy rest at 50'.

So, with Lee equipment, my knucklehead self is able to get handgun loads built that group better than any factory stuff I've tried. And not only group well, but give single digit SDs, which I feel is a pretty good indicator of consistency.

Last edited:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve had superb customer service from Lee and Hornady. I’ve heard Dillon is the same. Real quick on the house shipping of free replacements, even items Hornady believed I didn’t need but I believed I did. Lee even let me buy four powder hoppers free because I was having issues with threads. Lee, Hornady and I have Dillon, are all top notch CS.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've had really great customer service from RCBS, Dillon, and Hornady.

While I was reloading on a Hornady LNL AP I was on the phone with their customer service all the time. I couldn't reload 200 rounds without breaking something on that press, but that's another story. I'm a Dillon guy now.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I've had really great customer service from RCBS, Dillon, and Hornady.

While I was reloading on a Hornady LNL AP I was on the phone with their customer service all the time. I couldn't reload 200 rounds without breaking something on that press, but that's another story. I'm a Dillon guy now.

Yep, once you go "Blue" you don't go back..See what I did there??..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    One part broken in 17 years on Lee seems like it's good enough quality for what I do.

^^^This is right, for the most part, especially on their handgun dies. I have one of their Universal de-cap dies that has de-capped 10's of K's of cases with only ONE broken pin.
    The problem that I have seen shows up on the sizing of their rifle rounds.
    Over the years, for ME, troubleshooting problems for others (Commercial Handloaders on this Forum included) when a case will not chamber on a rifle load, the common factor has been that the load has been assembled with Lee dies. Most of these loads will pass a case gauge.

Call it brass, projectiles, or personal handloaders ability, or what-have-you, the common denominator has been Lee tools.

"That's my Story, and I'm sticking to it"...HA. HA. HA....Bill.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Die is out for delivery. Less than a week from drop off to return, including transit both ways by USPS. And only the cost of sent mail to me.

Not bad.

I'm not going to claim Lee is the best (except for perhaps the Lee Collet die for neck concentricity) but as a new reloader, I'm pleased with the support for a basic handgun die set.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    As a 30 year toolmaker, I have to say that Lee tools are good tools but they are not produced to the same standards that Lyman or RCBS do. I'm not experienced with Hornady, Dillon, or Redding but I believe from what I've seen that they are of equal quality to RCBS or Lyman. Lee tools are produced economically, sparing a lot of the fine machining and heavy castings that others use. Having said that, I've never had any issue with any of the tools I've had.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom