• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Review: Frankford Arsenal Hand primer

Got the kit this weekend at Cabelas. It comes in a nice box with most shellholders you might need.

General observations from priming last night.

1) Excellent feel
    2) Adjustability of depth is pretty much pointless. Who isn't seating by feel?
    3) Fit and finish appear to be excellent
    4) Ergonomics in the hand are very good for my average sized hands.
    5) Tray fits only by friction, but it's perfect-- not too loose, not too tight. We'll see how it holds up after hundreds of removal/insertion cycles.
    6) Excellent primer feed reliability overall.

I haven't used other hand primers like the Lee or RCBS units that just about everyone seems to have. This one costs more. I feel like I got the money's worth.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I assume you meant "Franford Arsenal", rather than "Franklin Armory", is that correct?

Thanks for review, it looks like a nice unit. I have been using the RCBS bench mounted priming tool for when I don't prime on the press.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yes indeed! That will teach me to post when I'm still on my first coffee pot. Frankford Arsenal it is!

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I took a look at it online, found a good price and ordered one. They seem to be popular, as many sources are out of stock. For many years, i have used the Lee hand priming tool, but then Lee discontinued the original tool, and they also d/c'd the spare parts! Spare parts because it was not uncommon to break the body or the lever on the hand primer tool. I have 2 RCBS hand priming tools, one for small, one for large primers. They seem to be sturdy built, but they do double feed primers on occasion and they JAM. They are such a PITA to disassemble to clear a jam or change from small to large (why I own 2). Over the years, arthritis, the RCBS has become comfortable to use but the Lee tool is painful now. Looks like the Frankfort Arsenal tool allows you to hold it in either direction when using

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have both a Lee and RCBS tool. While the RCBS takes a little more effort to set up, I like that it uses the same shell holders as my reloading presses, whereas the Lee has its own shell holders. Does the Frankford use regular "press" shell holders?

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have both a Lee and RCBS tool. While the RCBS takes a little more effort to set up, I like that it uses the same shell holders as my reloading presses, whereas the Lee has its own shell holders. Does the Frankford use regular "press" shell holders?

The kit I see has its own shell holders. The trouble is finding a kit at a good price. the places that have them in the upper $50s to low $60 are all sold out. The places that have them in the $90 range have them in stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Update on the Priming tool:

I've now primed 150 cases with it.

I encountered an occasional issue with double feeding primers that would cause it to lock up. The more I use it, the less frequently it hangs up, so I'm not sure if this is my skill or if it's a breakin kind of issue.

Not much skill involved in priming, though.

I'm still a fan of the tool, love the box it comes in with all the shellholders.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I ordered one from Midway and just received it today. Shipping was free. It appears to be well made. The Lyman I have sometimes doesn't seem to have enough reach on the ram so it sometimes takes resorting to the primer seater on my press.

Top Bottom