• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have an RCBS uniflow powder measure. How do you all reccomend cleaning it between powders? W296 sure does like to cling to its sides...

I personally use compressed air. If you dont have a compressor you can buy canned air in most electronic departments in stores that sell computers and such.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Compressed air is good but if you don’t have it, I often use powdered graphite. I use a tiny bit and run it through my powder measure before adding powder. When i am done using it, whatever is left in my measure i just brush out with a long paint brush.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have a long paint brush to scrape powder off sides best I can. Picked up a small pancake compressor at a yard sale. Fits nice under the bench and works great for blowing powder off and out of stuff and gunk from range guns.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Couple years ago I heard something about wiping it down with a dryer sheet to remove the static, never tried it though

Static is what it all comes down to. Eliminate the static and the powder will no longer cling. Any residue beyond actual granules that is left from the previous powder is inconsequential. Powders for the most part are made from differing percentages of the same things formed into different grain shapes and treated with retardants to manipulate burn rate.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I use the dryer sheets to eliminate the static in the hopper, but I do disassemble the entire mechanism (Dillon) and clean with alcohol wipes, then re-lube before putting it back on the press.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've had the same RCBS powder measure for 30 years and can honestly say I have never once cleaned it. I have wiped it out with a dryer sheet a few times and ran powdered graphite through it once (what a mess!). Anymore, I only use the dryer sheet and a full hopper of a coarse stick powder run through it...that pretty much eliminate the static cling issue with the finer powders.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've had the same RCBS powder measure for 30 years and can honestly say I have never once cleaned it. I have wiped it out with a dryer sheet a few times...

^^^ This. I wipe the plastic hopper with a dryer sheet once in a great while to keep the fine flake powders from sticking and make sure the measuring chamber/drop tube is empty by working the handle aggressively with the measure right side up and upside down.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I've had the same RCBS powder measure for 30 years and can honestly say I have never once cleaned it.

^^^ This. I wipe the plastic hopper with a dryer sheet once in a great while to keep the fine flake powders from sticking and make sure the measuring chamber/drop tube is empty by working the handle aggressively with the measure right side up and upside down.

So neither of you clean or lube the mechanism?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Rarely, if ever and if I have it was with graphite. I think most powders contain or are coated with graphite and take care of any needed lube.

I bought one of my favorite measures in the 70's.

Haha! That is crazy! What is that thing, 40-50 years old??? And it is still your favorite??? That really says something!

I have been just going by Dillon's recommendation to clean and grease the mechanism, but then again a Dillon powder measure is not going to be around in my hands in 40 years...

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I tap the whole thing (Dillon) while upside down with my wedding ring hand. Work the slide a few times with a gentle tap or two from the wedding ring and all the powder usually falls out.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    My dad gave me a reloading set up about 1976. Pacific press, RCBS powder measure, Ohaus scale. Still using it. Never cleaned the measure. Never experienced any static with it. Have to clean the press ram occasionally.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Powder measures do not require ANY lubrication. Just keep it clean. Dryer sheets do help if you are working in a very dry environment. Graphite can build up and it actually a very fine abrasive and will cause wear over time. Powder does contain graphite but do not add more. I have an RCBS measure I bought in 1980. It still works perfectly. All I have ever done to it is keep it clean. A few times I had problems with dry air and static in the winter and a small humidifier in the room solved the problem. If your house is heated with a forced air gas or electric furnace your house will get very dry in the winter (too dry). A humidifier is the solution but also buy a humidity gauge and monitor the humidity in the room you are working in. Try to keep it at 40 to 45%. Anything less than that is unhealthy and all of the wood in your house will shrink. I have a collection of vintage guitars and if the humidity goes below 35 to 40% they will tear themselves apart so I have always run humidifiers in the winter.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Forty years, still trying to wear them out.
    Never used black in them or else would be cleaning for sure.

Top Bottom