• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I see them all the time at yard sales. I know pistol rifle loading stuff well. No idea on shot loaders. Don't know what I'm looking at.

Is there a market for these things and should I be buying them? Any good models to look out for? Parts available if they aren't complete?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Much too broad of a question. Need more specifics. Are you buying to use or buying to resell - your text isn’t clear. Many old reloaders are obsolete with no spare parts available.

If you run across MEC products there may be parts available but without good mechanical aptitude refurbishing one is not that simple. Don’t go cheap - you’ll probably just end up buying another reloader later on that works.

BTW, what gauge are you considering ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    12 ga reloading isn't going to save you money, unless you have a cheap source of lead shot.

This. Unless you want to do it for the pure joy, or want to make specialty loads, you cant touch the cost of bulk retail shotshells. I sold my press years ago.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a very limited market for the slower shotgun loaders because as has been said, the savings over buying factory shells is little. The real avid shotgun shooters, who shoot a large volume of shells, can save some and are concerned with custom tailoring their loads. These guys have high end progressive loaders. They also have multi-thousand dollar guns. I have a MEC loader, and if you have a lot of time and want to load with it, rather than try to resell it for a profit, go for it, if the price is right.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I generally look for stuff to resell. But it is something I wouldn't mind adding to the bench.

I dumped everything but 20ga since that is what wife shoots. Buy bulk shells now for the tiny bit of shotgunning we do.

The cost is probably why I see them all the time for sale. Not saving anything by loading. Mec is what I've seen the most of.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I generally look for stuff to resell. But it is something I wouldn't mind adding to the bench.

I dumped everything but 20ga since that is what wife shoots. Buy bulk shells now for the tiny bit of shotgunning we do.

The cost is probably why I see them all the time for sale. Not saving anything by loading. Mec is what I've seen the most of.
    I don't shoot shotgun that much, but years ago, when a buddy had a MEC 600 Jr. he wanted to sell for a good price, I bought it. I've amortized the cost many times over and I get a kick out of reloading my own.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've reloaded tons of shotgun shells on Mec Jr presses. It's a great way to spend a rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon.

BUT - As the guys upthread mentioned, you wont save money doing it anymore.

And the presses themselves are inexpensive enough brand new that I probably wouldn't fool with buying an old one at a garage sale. If you buy an old one it will likely be missing small parts and be way out of adjustment to the point it wont be very much fun.

:ingo:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Cool thanks dudes. Sounds like I'll continue to pass on them unless it's a stupid good bulk buy and they are completely there.

I'll continue to educate myself on them.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    unless you can get them dirt cheap, since you plan on reselling them, there probably wont be much profit.

i bought 2 lee load all 12g & 20g, shipped to my door off ebay a few years ago for $40

:cheers:

Top Bottom