• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Been working on setting up and testing a 2-in-1 seat/crimp die so I can put my RCBS powder lock out die back on my XL650. When I added the Mr. Bullet Feeder, I lost a station, so the lock out die went away. I have been using one for so long now, I have become used to having it cover my backside.

And yes, even with the lock out die, I still try to visually verify every charge, but it is nice to have a "second set of eyes" around for added safety.

I started with the DAA 2-in-1 die (modified Lee die), but had tons of trouble with it. I finally gave up. The crimp was horrible, more like a roll crimp than a taper crimp. I either could not get the rounds to plunk, or else the case lip started getting turned into the bullet causing a slight bulge underneath the crimp.

I then switched to a Hornady "Custom Grade New Dimension Taper Crimp Seater Die", and voila! Within about 5 minutes, I was cranking out perfectly seated and crimped rounds. This is after dicking around with the DAA die for about 3 nights, and wasting a ton of brass and bullets. :xmad:

My first Hornady die ever, and I have to say, it works pretty well. I am pretty sure now that the DAA die is defective somehow, although I kept figuring that it had to be user error, right??? I tried everything, and nothing worked. I even seated with another die, and tried just adjusting the DAA die to crimp without the seating stem, and I could either never get enough crimp to plunk, or it would start curling in the rim of the case. Nothing in-between seemed to exist no matter how little I adjusted the depth at a time. It was a VERY frustrating experience. I kept at it for so long because I figured it was me...

I know there are lots of folks that don't advocate seating and crimping in one station, and then there are those that have been doing so for 500 years. I was a bit leery, and then after the disaster with the DAA die, I almost gave up. Glad I stuck with it.

I hate to not use my nice Redding Competition Seating Dies, but who knows, maybe someday I will get a Mark 7 Evolution, and have enough tool head positions to go back to separate seat and crimp stations.

So far, so good. More testing and rounds to come.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just use the RCBS dies on a single stage. I have never had an issue with the seating/crimping die. I use these dies for 9mm, .38 sp, .44 mag. I use just a little taper crimp, except for hunting .44 loads. On those, I put a little extra crimp, especially revolver loads. I didn't have problems setting the crimp. They all pass plunk tests and do not jump. I have read a lot where people do say these should be separate steps, but I haven't had problems.

Top Bottom