• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Just got my first revolver, and I haven't the slightest clue about the different offerings in the .357 magnum variety. I got myself a Dan Wesson 15 hv4. I don't know much about it, but I'm trying to get some research going on it. So what does everyone recommend for 357 ammo. What are everyone's experiences, good bad. What to try and what to stay away from? I know every gun has it's own personality but I'm hoping to narrow my search.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Are you talking about ammo for the range, or do you plan to carry the gun for self-defense?

I'm curious about this topic myself, as I only have one gun in .357 at the moment And I have only shot .38 spl at the range. I did get a box of Remington HTP ammo for carry, but I don't know much about it other than a few good reviews on other forums.

Remington-.357-Magnum-158-gr-1024x1024.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    price is a concern, but I intend on keep it for a long long time. so I will probably be shooting a lot of 38 special through it. but I want good ammo that wont ruin the gun.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Caliber's designed bullet weight.

Most .357Mag., and .38 Spl. for that matter, were designed around a 158 grain weight projectile.
    So if you reload, you have a lot of choices. If you do not, you still have many.

Mine perform well at medium speeds with cast bullets-Warm speeds with Powder Coated bullets, Warmer speeds with jacketed loads...Bill.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    There is no factory loaded 38 spl that will harm that gun. The only thing that may cause concern is hot loaded 357mag with light bullets, the 125g or 110g variety.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Thanks! I have a reloading bench, but I have had it in storage since moving up here last year. I never got too experienced with it. I'm hoping This spring I'll have a place to work agaun. I'll be able to look into reloading .357. It looks like untill then 158gr. is where it's at. I tend to shoot a lot of blazer brass through my other handguns. Would I be good to go that route, just for plinking. Or is there a better value out there? I'm not afraid to spend more if it is worthwhile, but I will shoot less.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I liked the PPU 158s in my DW.

Slightly off topic, did you get a barrel wrench or the feeler gauges with it?

DWs are sweet revolvers. Very accurate as well when adjusted properly.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks! I have a reloading bench, but I have had it in storage since moving up here last year. I never got too experienced with it. I'm hoping This spring I'll have a place to work agaun. I'll be able to look into reloading .357. It looks like untill then 158gr. is where it's at. I tend to shoot a lot of blazer brass through my other handguns. Would I be good to go that route, just for plinking. Or is there a better value out there? I'm not afraid to spend more if it is worthwhile, but I will shoot less.

The 357/38 special are really good cartridges for the reloader. Easy to work with, good brass life, and plentiful components.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I didn't. It was a gunshow find. I don't know much about them but I couldn't say no for the deal. I just found out about the barrel kits.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I always have a hard time uploading pics on here. My 10 year old know computers better than i do. lol
    Is the kit something that would classify as a "need to own" for a d.w.? I do plan on keeping this for a long long time.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    It feels great, just very heavy. It just feels like its going to outlive me. I'm just worried about the finish. It shows some wear at the end of the barrel shroud. I'm stuck between keeping the original finish and just taking care of it or send it in to get refinished.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My “need to own” items for a DW revolver are the barrel wrench and the gage kit.

Dan Wesson Small Frame Wrench Dan Wesson Wrench [] - $25.00 : EWK Arms
    Dan Wesson Gage Kit - $4.95 : EWK Arms

Thoae two are needed to ensure the accuracy is being achieved. The DW is a tension barrel system. The barrel threads into the frame, the shroud slides over the top of the barrel and there is a barrel nut that tensions the barrel between the frame and shroud. The gage kit has the correct feeler gauge to set the gap between the barrel and cylinder.

Regarding the finish, it’s not uncommon to see the blueing on these revolvers start to take a purple hue as they age.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    That's not a huge investment for a great return. I will let the wife have some before I start spending again, but I will be getting these and hopefully get the most out of my first wheel gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom