• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Seems to be a trend. New calibers "[FONT=&quot]specifically designed to take advantage of long, heavy for caliber bullets". It's been happening for a while (6mm Dasher for example) but new factory loads are following the movement. .224 Valkyrie is another example. I think these new calibers will make a market but, initially anyway, it will be in looong range stuff.[/FONT]

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very intriguing.
    I don't know much about the .375, but I'm going to assume this is a long-action venture.

If I do nothing but clear trees from now until 5 years from now, I might actually be able to shoot almost 1k yards.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Very comparable to 300 win mag with similar bullet weight, maybe slightly more zip but not much difference in velocity, energy, or ballistics. The 300 win mag ammo I am comparing to is Federal Premium loaded with a 200 grain bullet, published trajectory with 200 yard zero is flatter out to 500 yds than the 300 PRC loaded with 212 grain.

There's always going to be a few takers, but I don't see there being enough of an edge to make a significant dent in the 300 win mag market.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, this seems like a rather gratuitous round to me. It's Hornady thinking they are more influential than they are. Why would this succeed where the 300WSM didn't?

If one really wants a superior 30 cal for heavy bullets, he would shoot a 300 Norma Mag with 230gr Bergers or SMKs.

I thought the 6.5 PRC was somewhat pointless when it arrived, but I guess this is what happens when a company thinks its PRiCk is too small.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Very intriguing.
    I don't know much about the .375, but I'm going to assume this is a long-action venture.

If I do nothing but clear trees from now until 5 years from now, I might actually be able to shoot almost 1k yards.

The .375 Ruger is a standard long action (.30-06 length) and Hornady already has the short action .300 Ruger compact magnum, so I'm guessing standard length. It makes some sense to have a standard length, non-belted magnum but I don't if it will really have any chance to supplant the .300 win mag for most.

Top Bottom