• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I shot my first ever 9mm handloads yesterday.

I initially worked up some range loads in new Starline brass with Hornady 115 FMJs. Fed Primers and 5.5gr BE-86 at 1.12". I figure that 10% below max or so was conservative enough and a good starting point.

Dang, even more than half a grain below book max, these were STOUT for 9mm. I couldn't believe I was shooting 9mm, as the snap reminded me of the last 40SW loads I shot.

I don't have a chrono, so I'm only judging by recoil. If you're used to shooting WWB, Blazer Brass, Fed or Aguila (like I am) then this came as surprise. It was more like S&B's range ammo.

The powder itself seems pretty clean, and the soot is soft and dry, not the hard carbon stuff or the gooey black stuff. I don't see a lot of folks using BE-86, most Alliant users seem to be running Unique or PP.

The Starline cases looked immaculate. No signs of pressure at all, though I'll know more once I deprime and see how the primer pockets feel.

Starline is well known to be fairly thick walled, meaning it has less case capacity (and more pressure) generally. So for my mixed brass loads in used cases, I only dropped down to 5.3gr with Montana Gold 115 JHPs. (not a defensive load, just wanted to try them).

I had two feeding issues with these. Tap rack bang, etc x2. Out of 50. My OAL was all over the place with the Montana Golds. I suspect it's actually the mixed brass. I can't for the life of me figure out why I was everywhere from 1.12 to 1.13. I wouldn't sweat a few thousandths, but a full hundredth was annoying. Using the comparator to mimic the seating stem, the bullets themselves were all within a thousandth.

I can live with that for about 15 cents a shot, though. Again, the BE-86 was a good performer-- reasonably clean, mild muzzle flash, and more-than-expected recoil. Even at nearly 20% under book.

Be-86 seems like a powder that could get away from you, but I'm new to this and can't really say. I'm just struck by the 5.3gr and 5.5gr loads being so close to the "Wow, that was stout!" end of the scale.

BE-86 meters like table salt. You can trickle to 0.04 grain pretty easily and all my charges were hand-weighed on a calibrated digital scale.

I'm confident this would be a good powder for heavier bullets in 9mm, and I'm planning to work up some loads with 124/125 and 147s. It's just above PP on the burn rate chart Alliant has in their load book, so it's pretty comparable in burn rate.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for the range report on BE-86.

I tried it with 9mm a year ago or so, and I had the same reaction. It felt hot compared to the other load workups I was testing. I did chronograph them, and they were all within range.

It seems to be a popular powder for 9mm, but I was not impressed enough to pursue any more load workups after that one set of loads. I still have that lb bottle, almost full!

I was testing with 124 gr. RMR JHP bullets and mixed brass using CCI 500 primers BTW. I was loading a ladder that ranged from 5.0 gr. up to 5.7 gr. at a COAL of 1.125" (my SIG Legion likes them long, I normally load 9mm to 1.06").

Chrony data ranged from 1091 fps with 5.0 gr of BE-86 (Power Factor = 133.56) up to 1233 fps with 5.7 gr. BE-86 (PF = 148.40) which is WAY TOO HOT!!!! I prefer to stay in the PF range of about 132-ish, so even the loads at the bottom of my ladder where about the top of where I like to run.

Someday, I might repeat my testing at 1.06" COAL and start much lower on the ladder, maybe 4.5 gr. or so.

Let us know how it works out for you.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I picked up a couple pounds to try in 10mm. It seems all the data I found for it showed impressive muzzle velocities even launching 180 and 200 grain projectiles. There was a spreadsheet on factory loads and I believe it was the powder being used for Sigs 10mm load.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Let me know how you like it in 10mm. I think most of the guys that are pushing 10mm hot are using either 800-x or Longshot.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Thanks for the range report on BE-86.

I tried it with 9mm a year ago or so, and I had the same reaction. It felt hot compared to the other load workups I was testing. I did chronograph them, and they were all within range.

It seems to be a popular powder for 9mm, but I was not impressed enough to pursue any more load workups after that one set of loads. I still have that lb bottle, almost full!

I was testing with 124 gr. RMR JHP bullets and mixed brass using CCI 500 primers BTW. I was loading a ladder that ranged from 5.0 gr. up to 5.7 gr. at a COAL of 1.125" (my SIG Legion likes them long, I normally load 9mm to 1.06").

Chrony data ranged from 1091 fps with 5.0 gr of BE-86 (Power Factor = 133.56) up to 1233 fps with 5.7 gr. BE-86 (PF = 148.40) which is WAY TOO HOT!!!! I prefer to stay in the PF range of about 132-ish, so even the loads at the bottom of my ladder where about the top of where I like to run.

Someday, I might repeat my testing at 1.06" COAL and start much lower on the ladder, maybe 4.5 gr. or so.

Let us know how it works out for you.

5.7gr at with 124s is toward the upper end of Alliant's data.

I think I will end up settling on 5.2-5.3gr for 115s, 5.0 for 124s and probably like 4.5gr for 147s.

Do you think the recoil is inline with your chrono readings? I.E. do your other loads in similar speed ranges have similar recoil?

I've heard of some powders that give more recoil for the same speed and wondering if BE-86 is one of them.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    5.7gr at with 124s is toward the upper end of Alliant's data.

I think I will end up settling on 5.2-5.3gr for 115s, 5.0 for 124s and probably like 4.5gr for 147s.

Do you think the recoil is inline with your chrono readings? I.E. do your other loads in similar speed ranges have similar recoil?

I've heard of some powders that give more recoil for the same speed and wondering if BE-86 is one of them.

I felt that the BE-86 loads felt a bit "snappier" for sure vs. the other powders I was testing that day (Titegroup, HP-38). I just didn't like it well enough to go back for a second round of testing to try to dial it in a bit better. That is just my opinion of course.

As you can see from my testing data, I was definitely loading on the hot side, and if I had felt that the BE-86 had promise, I would have gone back and worked out the lower end, and I still may some day.

One powder that does have me intrigued is Alliant's Sport Pistol. I tried some loads with my .40 competition gun, and absolutely *loved* it. I need to work up a second set of loads and really hone in on my recipe and do some more accuracy testing. I have heard other guys getting some great success with Sport Pistol in 9mm, but have not tried it there yet.

BE-86 is really popular for 9mm however. Over at The High Road forum, they really seem to love it, it was just not my cuppa.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I made a similar load with BE-86 myself. Personally it ran fine through my glock 19, and my Jericho 941 and is a standard load I commonly use for target practice. No issues so far, to me it was really comparable to bullseye.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I made a similar load with BE-86 myself. Personally it ran fine through my glock 19, and my Jericho 941 and is a standard load I commonly use for target practice. No issues so far, to me it was really comparable to bullseye.

Yeah, from what I have been told about Alliant's recipe for BE-86, it is basically "Power Pistol" with some flash suppressor in it (not quite, but pretty close). I am not a fan of Power Pistol either...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, from what I have been told about Alliant's recipe for BE-86, it is basically "Power Pistol" with some flash suppressor in it (not quite, but pretty close). I am not a fan of Power Pistol either...

I think BE-86= PP+ Flash Suppressant is about the consensus. The flash suppressant supposedly sped up the burn rate a tiny bit, but it's still pretty slow as pistol powders go. It's pretty much PP burn rate.

Top Bottom