• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    So I have the chance to buy this from an older gentleman. I want to give a fair price. What is a fair price for a friend? Thank you

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I have the chance to buy this from an older gentleman. I want to give a fair price. What is a fair price for a friend? Thank you

I am not current on market conditions, however I've bought similar ammo (1950s era .30-06 Match) more because of its historic value to me than for ammo to shoot. That being said, I think a buck a round is probably low. Others here may have a better idea.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    GI .30-06 AP ammo easily sells for a buck per round.

It also will penetrate 3/8" thick ar500 steel, and 3/4" of mild steel, and i think about a foot of wood

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok, 60s era Match ammo. I gave $25 per box IIRC. I opened 1 box to confirm the rounds were in serviceable condition.

Match-Ammo-02b.jpg

Match-Ammo-01b.jpg

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I would say 80-100 dollars for the four boxes depending on condition. A couple of the boxes look a little rough. Check the dates on the boxes or the year will be stamped on the brass if you plan to shoot it. Anything before 1954 I would definitely treat as corrosive. Probably better to consider it more as a collectable.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The market for 30-06 AP ammo fluctuates pretty widely depending upon political conditions. Just in the last few months at various gunshows and online auctions I've seen it sell between $20/box and $50/box. Considering it's WWII corrosive and the boxes aren't in great condition I would say $30/box is a fair price. Nicer WWII boxes or newer non-corrosive (less collectable, but better for stockpiling or shooting) and I would say $40/box. The $20/box and $50/box (completed auction listing) prices should probably be considered statistical outliers. Somewhat strangely, pulled projectiles routinely sell for $1/each and that price seems pretty stable. :twocents:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The market for 30-06 AP ammo fluctuates pretty widely depending upon political conditions. Just in the last few months at various gunshows and online auctions I've seen it sell between $20/box and $50/box. Considering it's WWII corrosive and the boxes aren't in great condition I would say $30/box is a fair price. Nicer WWII boxes or newer non-corrosive (less collectable, but better for stockpiling or shooting) and I would say $40/box. The $20/box and $50/box (completed auction listing) prices should probably be considered statistical outliers. Somewhat strangely, pulled projectiles routinely sell for $1/each and that price seems pretty stable. :twocents:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Aaron has probably forgotten more about ammunition in the past day or two than I will ever know. :):

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Ok, 60s era Match ammo. I gave $25 per box IIRC. I opened 1 box to confirm the rounds were in serviceable condition.

<snip>

That ammo is good stuff for either purpose. Mint boxes are good for collectors, but with lesser quality boxes I can personally attest that it is still shockingly accurate in GI rifles (1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, M1 Garand). I think $25/box is a fair price for both buyer and seller. I'm cheap and I buy all I find if it's less than $20/box, it's some of my favorite ammo and probably my favorite factory ball ammo loading of any caliber. My reloads with hand-weighed IMR-4064 shoot just as well, but I can't help myself if the price is right. :drool::abused:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That ammo is good stuff for either purpose. Mint boxes are good for collectors, but with lesser quality boxes I can personally attest that it is still shockingly accurate in GI rifles (1903 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, M1 Garand). I think $25/box is a fair price for both buyer and seller. I'm cheap and I buy all I find if it's less than $20/box, it's some of my favorite ammo and probably my favorite factory ball ammo loading of any caliber. My reloads with hand-weighed IMR-4064 shoot just as well, but I can't help myself if the price is right. :drool::abused:

You are spot on with your observations. I was geeked out when my friend called and explained what he had. He took it in a trade but had no use for it, knew it was something in my wheelhouse. I have both a 1903 and Garand, my intention was to use it in a NRA Highpower MR Match at Atterbury using the 1903. Hope to get that done some day.

You are right as well, you can mimic the accuracy with a 175gr SMK and about 47gr of 4064. YMMV.

M1903-Lyman-Peep1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom