• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Got the Guardian out today, found out Remington Green and white box feeds well and is accurate. Around here it's about $45.00 a box of 100, it is consistently available, from what I can tell it fully expands out of the Commander size 1911.

It resembles a mushroom after it hits. Thing is at that price I can afford to shoot it for some practice as well as fmj.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions are there better choices out there?

Thanks

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In a 1911 any 230 grain hollowpoint that is accurate and reliable pretty much meets my criteria. I have had the best luck with XTPs, Remington Golden Saber and Federal HST or HydroShok

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I assume if you are looking for expansion, you are looking for a carry ammo (SD)?

I practice with FMJ, but my SD ammo is all Federal HST. It seems to be pretty universally respected as great SD ammo, but it is *not* cheap. That is why I don't use it for practice. I kinda feel that for SD ammo, cost is no object. As long as my practice ammo is decent and of the same bullet weight and approximate velocity, it is good enough for practice at a lower price point.

Just my :twocents:.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I assume if you are looking for expansion, you are looking for a carry ammo (SD)?

I practice with FMJ, but my SD ammo is all Federal HST. It seems to be pretty universally respected as great SD ammo, but it is *not* cheap. That is why I don't use it for practice. I kinda feel that for SD ammo, cost is no object. As long as my practice ammo is decent and of the same bullet weight and approximate velocity, it is good enough for practice at a lower price point.

Just my :twocents:.

Yes self defense application.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I didn't think 45acp would expand good in a hollow point. Not to mention that anything but 230grn ball is blasphemous.

Needless to say I always carried 230grn ball. Whatever flavor was coming off my press got loaded carried and shot.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For basically the same price IE: 50 cents a round you could be shooting Federal HST which IMHO is a superior round to anything Remington can make, plus as Doublehelix said you can just purchase Federal 230gr ball ammo that has basically the exact same impact area and recoil impulse.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/col...30gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-p45hst2

Just bought 500 rounds of this stuff myself. My hollow point cabinet needed re-stocking

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    For basically the same price IE: 50 cents a round you could be shooting Federal HST which IMHO is a superior round to anything Remington can make, plus as Doublehelix said you can just purchase Federal 230gr ball ammo that has basically the exact same impact area and recoil impulse.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/col...30gr-federal-premium-tactical-hst-jhp-p45hst2

Just bought 500 rounds of this stuff myself. My hollow point cabinet needed re-stocking

Thank you I am going to order up a few boxes. On the fmj wouldn't over penetration be a concern? Or practice with the ball ammo and carry the Jhp? Believe it or not I still run the classic Hyrashok in 9 mm in my 1911 it hits same as Federal ball in 9mm.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Thank you I am going to order up a few boxes. On the fmj wouldn't over penetration be a concern? Or practice with the ball ammo and carry the Jhp? Believe it or not I still run the classic Hyrashok in 9 mm in my 1911 it hits same as Federal ball in 9mm.

I was reffering to practicing with ball and actually carrying the HST, as the federal ball ammo should be loaded about the same

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I was reffering to practicing with ball and actually carrying the HST, as the federal ball ammo should be loaded about the same

That's what I thought but I didn't want to assume. Wally world has the Federal fmj on roll back here Something like $28.00 for a 100 rounds brass. Ammo shelves have not been this full in a long time, no time like the present to stock up.

Thank you

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've recently had numerous Failure To Feed with the Sig Sauer .45acp 200gr JHP ammo (in 7 different 1911s that fed all my other 45 ammos just fine, FMJ and JHP alike)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've recently had numerous Failure To Feed with the Sig Sauer .45acp 200gr JHP ammo (in 7 different 1911s that fed all my other 45 ammos just fine, FMJ and JHP alike)

I have seen failures in 1911 with Hornady Critical Duty. The rubber tip hangs up. Stick with standard pressure 230 grain Name brand, old school hollowpoint.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I normally carry hst or gold dots...i tried the sig v crowns and other than a lower poi, i had no trouble with them in a colt and kimber.

Why do half of these yahoo whack offs want credentials as leo to order ammo?

God bless
    Shred

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I didn't think 45acp would expand good in a hollow point. Not to mention that anything but 230grn ball is blasphemous.

Needless to say I always carried 230grn ball. Whatever flavor was coming off my press got loaded carried and shot.

Well, you are thinking wrong. I load at lot of XTP bullets and they all expand nicely. Also shot a lot of TAP ammo and Golddots with the same results.

Top Bottom