Dillon XL650, Strong Mount and Primer conversion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    Wondering what most people think about using the “Strong Mount”? Do you prefer it or mount directly to the bench? I currently have it but have low ceilings in my basement (7’) and it makes the case feeder pretty close to the ceiling, contemplating adding a second XL650, for large primers. I have not changed over from small to large yet so how much time does it actually take and is it a pain the butt to do?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I use the InLine Fabrication Ultramount rather than the Dillon one. I like it better for several reasons:

1) It comes in 3 sizes (heights), which is great for me. I chose the large size to begin with, but it was too tall for my bench height, and it wasn't comfortable. I ended up with the middle-height size, which I absolutely love. Perfect height for my bench.

2) They have something called the "Quick Change" system which allows me to swap out multiple presses. I love this feature.

Regarding Primer Conversion:

It is really easy! Takes about 10 minutes or less.

1) Change the plunger
    2) Remove the primer assembly.
    3) Change the wheel and primer insert rod.

Watch these videos. This guy is VERY LONG WINDED, but it helps give you an idea. This guy takes 10X longer to do this than it should take, but it does go through the process of changing from large to small primers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDzIRsrY3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yt899VW18E&t=492s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRcmUZMSoHA

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Primer conversions aren't too big of a deal as mentioned.

If you decide you'd like to pursue an additional press, we do have ALL Dillon on sale for our Black Friday Event that started last night. Let me know if we can be of any assistance.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I like the strong mount however I picked up a drop I beam for a second press mount and it is sweet. Rock solid and I think it was about 15 bucks. Hit your local metal joint and see what's in their drop bins. Probably find something to fit your needs, stronger, and cheaper. Then resell your strong mount.

I do believe you can chop off the tube the feeder is mounted to for some extra room up top.

Couple options for you

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have the Dillon strong mount also, it works well. I cut the steel and plastic tube down with a tubing cutter on the case feeder to lower it. I don't remember how much, I think it was 2". I also bought the in-line quick mount system, it is very well made and engineered. The in-line system also has mounting plates for several presses, vise, case trimmers and blanks, you can make your own.I wish I had that before the Dillon mount. I also bought a second primer slide set up for large primers.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I use the InLine Fabrication Ultramount rather than the Dillon one. I like it better for several reasons:

1) It comes in 3 sizes (heights), which is great for me. I chose the large size to begin with, but it was too tall for my bench height, and it wasn't comfortable. I ended up with the middle-height size, which I absolutely love. Perfect height for my bench.

2) They have something called the "Quick Change" system which allows me to swap out multiple presses. I love this feature.

Regarding Primer Conversion:

It is really easy! Takes about 10 minutes or less.

1) Change the plunger
    2) Remove the primer assembly.
    3) Change the wheel and primer insert rod.

Watch these videos. This guy is VERY LONG WINDED, but it helps give you an idea. This guy takes 10X longer to do this than it should take, but it does go through the process of changing from large to small primers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDzIRsrY3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yt899VW18E&t=492s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRcmUZMSoHA

What DoubleHelix said!
    I have the Inline Fab Micro mount for my 650. It is more rigid and high quality. Make sure your bench and bench top are “ROCK” solid. Extra movement can cause issues!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I ended up with a 2nd 650 off ebay deal earlier this year, during one of the 20% off everything deal with no tax.

I made a mount myself welded the two legs and the center piece. The Dillon mount is just 2 legs.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Only a few understand the geometry of the press/bench relationship, so this might not make sense...

The press hanging OVER the edge of the bench allows the press to cantilever the bench.
    The force is being applied OUTSIDE the legs/support of the bench.
    This is why so many people try and bolt the bench to the wall to keep the bench from slapping the wall or 'walking' across the floor.

This also leaves the press hanging out over the edge of the bench, and it becomes a hip/elbow buster, and a snag point everytime you try and get past/around the press.
    I also find everything else you try and do in the room something bangs into the press.
    This is assuming you aren't building a dedicated space just for reloading, and nothing else.
    Since I'm not a billionaire, my work spaces have to share duties, as I suspect most of us do...

The second consideration is height of the press ('Strong Mount', etc.),
    By raising the press, while it's moved away from the edge of the table a little, you have raised the leverage point UP off optimum height (which is bench top).
    Again, you get a bench that slaps the wall or 'walks' across the floor.
    The is simple geometry and the application of force...

The third consideration is rotational force, twisting force applied to the bench top and transferred to the legs.
    This is the twisting bench syndrome...
    Very few use rotational movement control, which is as simple as sheeting or 'X' braces on back & ends of the bench.
    A 'Boxed' shape, even on 3 sides, makes that bench MUCH more stable.

-------

Now that we have covered the scientific facts, let me show you my choice for a stable bench/mount.

For under $200 at the big box store, I got two sheets of 3/4' plywood, some 2"x4" (or 2"x3" works also), a short 2"x6" as an under top brass directly under the presses, and some misc. 1" boards for shelving.
    The big box store will rip the plywood into sections, I had one sheet cut into 2' widths 4' long, and a half sheet (4'x4' square).

The top is two layers of 2'x4' screwed together, which I trimmed about 1-1/2" off one end,
    The sides are 2'x4' on end, EXTREMELY stable with end supports.
    The back is a 4'x4' sheet, but lifted up... This leaves room for baseboards, electrical cords, etc. and the raised back provides places to hang tools & shelves.

The under side of the top has a 2"x4" vertical in the corners for direct support for the top, and it provides something solid to screw the plywood to.
    The top has 3/4 surround support of 2x4 on edge (plus a 2"x6" on edge under the press) on top of 1-1/2" top.

Keep in mind, reloading g on a right hand only press is going g to effect your neck, shoulder, back, elbow & wrist over time...
    These injuries are very real, and they accumulate/accelerate over time.
    To prevent these, I sat in a comfortable, supportive chair, feet FLAT on the floor, and determined what the press height at the handle should be, which is slightly below the ball socket of my shoulder.
    This let me FULLY stroke the press with force, while NOT having to lean forward or backwards, twist the shoulder or elbow, and fostered me keeping my wrist STRAIGHT (instead of 'Short Stroking' the press when I got tired).

The presses are INSET into the bench top...
    No hip/elbow busters, the bench support the press better, the line of force is slightly BELOW the bench top which makes the bench/press even more stable.
    (The tear down/tool press is a Lee, which can change right/left handed and the handle adjusts up out of the way easily)

With the press inset into the bench top, I can reach everything on the bench quite easily without getting up or getting distracted from what I'm supposed to be doing (loading!).
    Everything I need for that press is right in front of me, and with 3/4 surround, very little escapes when you drop it! We all know what fun those small parts are to chase down, particularly when they are spring powered...

Keep in mind here, this is only 8 sq.ft. of floor space the bench covers, and virtually all that 8 sq.ft. is available under the bench for your supplies, this makes for a VERY compact & clean work station, and it's what I've evolved over the past 40 years or so of doing this.

With raised sides & top, this can have a lockable 'Boxed' top added to secure your equipment, I've built a couple for shooting club where sticky fingers and uneducated people like to finger the equipment.
    The gas charged struts for hatchback cars work well to power the boxed top up and out of the way when in use (about $40-$45).

While you can't see the 2"x6" brace in the pictures, it runs cross ways under the presses, I mounted a power strip with switch on that brace between presses.
    This gives me one switch shutdown of everything bench related, and it keeps cords out of the way making for a MUCH cleaner top.

I do wish I had taken/uploaded pictures after it was painted, but I'm not much of a photographer and this shows (Rough!) construction...
    I'm not a carpenter either but this was simple to knock out once the big box store cut the panels to size...

I consider the little, dirt cheap tool head press a must partner for the production press.
    The tool heads swap out in seconds, it tears down QC culled rounds immedately, and if you run into brass that needs a little extra TLC, the tools are right there to make things right.
    The thing I hate most about reloading is culls & 'Mystery Rounds' laying on the bench, this little press let's me break them down for components immedately before they become 'Mystery Rounds'.
    About all of us have some sort of manual press already, there isn't any reason not to mount it for just this purpose.

Just some ideas, take them for what you paid for it, or not, it's up to you...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Notice the brass pins (from brass rod, from hardware or farm stores) that keep SPECIFIC shell holders with the die sets they match?
    Notice the case gauges for those specific die sets also with the die sets?

The only thing 'Fancy' here is the hinge on the back of the shelf & a screen door bolt latch to keep the shelf in the upright position when not needed.
    By hinging the shelf up, the die sets get better protection from being knocked around, and it allows the bench to be more compact/efficient.

The top shelf is laid across the side supports, with blocks to keep it centered, it's not actually screwed down.
    This was so I can get to the back side of the press when needed (more common with 1050 than 650) and it let's me take the shelf down to mount or drill on it when more parts/pieces show up & need a home.
    I hate climbing up and leaning over to drill/mount things, and I hate the sawdust on the bench, so taking the shelf off makes sense for me.
    (Some people make work for themselves or put themselves into situations where things won't turn out as good as they could)

The entire bench, power strip, hinge, latch, 'Joist Hangers' for the cross brace, screws & all was under $200, and I wound up with 2 extra 2'x4'x3/4" pieces.
    With trimming the length a little, that's a second top, or in my case it got trimmed for length so it would fit under the bench, roller casters added, now it's a dolly for buckets of brass that store neatly under the bench. (Cat little buckets fit GREAT!)

Just some more ideas...

Top Bottom