Lead/plated/FMJ, same weight, significant charge difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Been shooting cast lead 158g SWCs out of my .38 revolver, but I recently ordered some 158g round nose plated bullets. Currently using 4g of HP38 with good results. Is there any need to change the charge weight and burn a bunch of ammo reworking a load when the bullet weight isn't changing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think so. The only difference I know is that you can push a FMJ harder (than lead or plated) without damaging the bullet or leading the barrel.

Pretty sure plated will fly at roughly the same speed using the same powder & charge if you already have a good cast load worked up.

But I'd chrono a few just in case.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Don't have access to a chrono, but subjectively they feel at or slightly weaker than factory 158g target ammo. Hard to imagine a huge difference, but I wanted to get some input just so I don't do anything dumb out of ignorance.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    While HP-38 is a bit more forgiving than something like titegroup, it’s still a good idea to work up a new load. Different bullet profiles seated to the same OAL can have dramatically differing case pressures.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Angry Rooster nailed it, but ALWAYS refer to a reloading manual. There is a difference between cast and fmj load data, but the amount of difference is different for each caliber and
    powder. Granted, sometimes the amount of difference is very small.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You might try going to hodgdonreloading.com, looks like Hornady xtp was tested they show 3.8-4.3 grains of HP 38. Hope this helps you.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Hate to hijack but I have been out of the reloading game for quite some time. I can not remember the last time I reloaded but I am just getting back into shooting and reloading. The last powder and primers I bought locally was from the old Profire in Avon. So, my question is this. Where is the go to spot locally for powder, primers, etc?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hate to hijack but I have been out of the reloading game for quite some time. I can not remember the last time I reloaded but I am just getting back into shooting and reloading. The last powder and primers I bought locally was from the old Profire in Avon. So, my question is this. Where is the go to spot locally for powder, primers, etc?

Its a little bit of a haul, but Bobcat Armament out of Shelbyville. He's also an INGO advertiser. Its only 15-20 minutes down I74 from 465.

And the best part? If he's shooting FNS at MCF&G and you are too, you can place an order and he will bring it with him. THAT is service.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Its a little bit of a haul, but Bobcat Armament out of Shelbyville. He's also an INGO advertiser. Its only 15-20 minutes down I74 from 465.

And the best part? If he's shooting FNS at MCF&G and you are too, you can place an order and he will bring it with him. THAT is service.

Cameramonkey, thanks for that. Shelbyville is not a bad haul for me as I work in Franklin so that is great. I had no idea he even sold reloading items.

Top Bottom