• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    I load pistol on my Dillon 650 and love it. My question is that I am thinking of getting into rifle shooting and need to know what the largest caliber cartridge I can load unit I have problems resizing etc.? Please only answer if you load on a Dillon 650. thanks....

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I load pistol on my Dillon 650 and love it. My question is that I am thinking of getting into rifle shooting and need to know what the largest caliber cartridge I can load unit I have problems resizing etc.? Please only answer if you load on a Dillon 650. thanks....

I can tell you from my experience that 223 is no problem. However, when i sized 308, it seemed to really stress the shellplate trying to remove the cartridge from the die. YMMV, but it is much easier to size/load 308 on the 1050.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I bought a RCBS turret to do rifle on. I like to slow down and make sure everything is just right.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    That is really a good question. I think I would size on a single stage then run them through the 650 to complete.
    That way you could run anything you can get a shell plate for.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I know guys that load 6.5 Creemmore and 300 Win Mag all the time with theirs. I believe you can load all the way up to 45-70. They make conversion kits for it.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I reload up to .300 WM on mine.

Large cases have a crap load more surface area to resize, so use a good lube.
    The common lubes never worked well for me, the cases were really hard to size & extract.
    In my experience alcohol (100% IPA) and lanolin seem to work pretty well, a little heavy on the lanolin.

I can recommend two passes through the press, one to decap, resize & trim,
    The second for final sizing check & loading.

Large rifle loads will use powder much faster, changing the weight of powder column and creating inconsistent load throws.
    You can weigh each charge and drop yourself, this will give you dead accurate charges by weight.
    Weighing charges & hand throwing elminates the need for a powder check.

When you use the powder thrower, a powder check of somekind is mandatory, either visual or mechanical.

If you use the powder thrower (by volume, not weight),
    To keep the powder charges more consistent I put a wide mouth funnel in the top of the powder bin & fill the funnel.
    This keeps consistent weight on the powder column and helps make throws more consistent.

I purchased a $2 cell phone vibrator motor off eBay and attached it to the powder thrower and it helps keep powder flowing more consistantly, this keeps me from having to stop & tap the powder bin which is a requirement with some types of powders.
    A baffle at the bottom of the powder bin helps with consistantly also.

These are large charge throws, takes a second to drop, so don't try and run at small handgun speeds when loading larger cases, particularly when they have small necks. Hesitate a couple seconds for the powder to drop cleanly...

With the 650, some upgrades might help, indexing roller under the ram head, case shuttle rod with roller, these help with about every caliber. Anything that removes friction or stress helps.

Some people initial resize & decap before loading, doing this on a single stage press.
    With long, tapered, fairly thick walled cases this isn't a bad idea since it removes a crap load of stress, wobble, flex on the shell plate.
    Without the shell plate being bent by resizing force, you get a much more precise trim, seat & crimp (if you crimp).

Just some things I found that work for me, use any/all if it suits you.

Top Bottom