Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

What is the head stamp on these cartridges and how did you come by them?

User Info Menu

Range brass, I believe they were LC
    Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

User Info Menu

I vote for firing out of battery. A slam fire?

User Info Menu

I was wondering about a lot of different things, a slam fire was the first that came to mind.
    Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

Plinker

User Info Menu

The reason I asked about the case head stamp is because I posted the photo here at m4carbine.net and asked the same question.

I did this because there is still pressure in the barrel of the M14 and M16 type rifle when the bolt starts moving to the rear.

Pistol length and carbine length gas systems pound the rifle more and put more extraction stress on the case and cause case head swipes.

My guess was the case bulged on extraction as the bolt was moving to the rear and using too slow a burning rate powder. Meaning the residual pressure in the barrel bulged the base of the case as it cleared the chamber.

But this was just a guess and I asked at m4carbine.net because one of the main members runs a AR15 training school and seen everything. The problem is no one there ever saw a case like this so we still have a mystery.

Below when I built my carbine I made sure the barrel had a mid-length gas system with lower port pressure.

Last edited by bigedp51; 6 Days Ago at 17:18.

Keepem' Scary Sharp!!! WhitleyStu's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have a lot of 9mm cases exactly like these from my S&W 76 open bolt SMG. Simply a case of the round not being fully chambered when detonated.
    Last edited by WhitleyStu; 6 Days Ago at 19:45.
    NRA Life Member since 3/15/89
    I donít carry a firearm for self-defense because Iím an optimistÖ
    Facts seldom stand in the way of what someone wants to believe.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Your talking 55,000 psi or higher chamber pressure for a Lake City 5.56 cartridge, you would think that would have done far more damage to the rear of the case. Meaning blown the rear of the case apart and damaging the rifle. And since the rear of the case held together and ballooned on the unsupported rear section I'm thinking it happened on extraction.

Below click.................................bang surplus Pakistani .303 British case, and opening the bolt after the click but before the bang, and the case rupturing.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Not trying to hijack this thread.....but this seems like an appropriate safety concern. Last summer, a club member had 7.62x39 ammo he had purchased at Academy. The box had been scotch taped shut. We found some 5.56 cartridges mixed in, they member actually got them loaded in the mag and they cycled into the chamber but didn't fire. It would appear the store had dropped a bunch of ammo in different calibers, employees picked them up and stuffed the ammo into whatever box was in their hand. Just thought I'd pass this along, for whatever it's worth. Again, my apologies for the hijack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitsandGravy View Post
    I vote for firing out of battery. A slam fire?
    I vote that way too. The disappearance of the neck is a clue. It wasnít in battery and the shoulder got bumped forward a good .125Ē or so.

User Info Menu

Yep, slam fire.
    That's what my 7.92x57 was doing.
    Would have been a one heck of a jack rabbit chaser.
    But after it went full auto the better 2/3's (who had been sitting on the right side with the spotting scope) would be worrying every time I picked it up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast