Found this in my brass bucket, what caused it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    View attachment 72523

Found these while sorting through brass I have accumulated over the past 10 years.

Looks a bit scary.

These started showing up all over the place. Just saw two different guns ruptured last week. Basement dwelling gunsmiths putting together substandard rifles exploding 55,000 PSI 6 inches from between the eyes. The good news is they saved a few bucks playing with this third world crap. Please for gods sake get some training y'all!!!!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That's the new brass coming out from the left to prevent us from making Super Death Missles in our homes.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Either something was firing out of battery.....

OR

Something is way. way, way out of headspace. I wonder if this came from an AR with a barrel extension that came loose.

I agree and disagree with Trapper Jim. Yes, if you build something yourself, you should use high quality parts to aid in preventing tolerance stacking and out of spec parts.

However, I don't think it necessary to have a degree or official training to mod or build guns yourself. I am currently building my first NG19 (non-Glock 19). I am using good quality parts from respectable and known companies. I have read and watched a lot to ensure I am doing everything correctly. Other than the difficulty I had with installing the rear sight, everything else has gone smoothly and all the parts are matching up well. Yet, I am not a Glock certified armorer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Once upon a time at a shooting range far far away...

I'd put together some 125 grain 7.92x57 loads for a FN49 specifically for ack-ack at jack rabbits.
    The goal was low recoil shooting at fast moving jacks.
    So the plan was start low and add powder until the action reliably functioned.

What actually happened was that the action ejected the spent case, grabbed the next one... but the recoil was insufficient to cock the hammer.
    And the three loaded rounds ripped off with a pretty darn good group at 50 yards but the brass wasn't making it all the way into the chamber.
    The brass in the picture kinda reminds me of that. So maybe it was a load problem rather than a rifle problem.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    The reason I asked about the case head stamp is because I posted the photo here at m4carbine.net and asked the same question.

I did this because there is still pressure in the barrel of the M14 and M16 type rifle when the bolt starts moving to the rear.

Pistol length and carbine length gas systems pound the rifle more and put more extraction stress on the case and cause case head swipes.

My guess was the case bulged on extraction as the bolt was moving to the rear and using too slow a burning rate powder. Meaning the residual pressure in the barrel bulged the base of the case as it cleared the chamber.

But this was just a guess and I asked at m4carbine.net because one of the main members runs a AR15 training school and seen everything. The problem is no one there ever saw a case like this so we still have a mystery.

Below when I built my carbine I made sure the barrel had a mid-length gas system with lower port pressure.

4UIZgzj.gif

Last edited:

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Your talking 55,000 psi or higher chamber pressure for a Lake City 5.56 cartridge, you would think that would have done far more damage to the rear of the case. Meaning blown the rear of the case apart and damaging the rifle. And since the rear of the case held together and ballooned on the unsupported rear section I'm thinking it happened on extraction.

Below click.................................bang surplus Pakistani .303 British case, and opening the bolt after the click but before the bang, and the case rupturing.

53ye2jY.jpg

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not trying to hijack this thread.....but this seems like an appropriate safety concern. Last summer, a club member had 7.62x39 ammo he had purchased at Academy. The box had been scotch taped shut. We found some 5.56 cartridges mixed in, they member actually got them loaded in the mag and they cycled into the chamber but didn't fire. It would appear the store had dropped a bunch of ammo in different calibers, employees picked them up and stuffed the ammo into whatever box was in their hand. Just thought I'd pass this along, for whatever it's worth. Again, my apologies for the hijack.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep, slam fire.
    That's what my 7.92x57 was doing.
    Would have been a one heck of a jack rabbit chaser.
    But after it went full auto the better 2/3's (who had been sitting on the right side with the spotting scope) would be worrying every time I picked it up.

Top Bottom