• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Lee neck sizing die in 6.5 CM crushing the shoulder on once fired AND virgin brass. Not my brass. Friend having the trouble. Anyone have any trouble like this?

I've neck sized thousands of .222, .223, and .308 with lee collet dies. Never had a problem.
    You think they undersized the collet opening?

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I've seen this with too much case lube. Just my :twocents: unless I'm thinking something else.
    +1
    A little lube goes a long way. Too much lube crushes shoulders. I can't imagine the neck/shoulders would need any lube anyway. My cases don't usually get tight until about 1/2 to 2/3 the way down the case.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Neck size crushing shoulders

Sounds painful.
    Maybe you should stop working out. :dunno:

IHVwdZX.jpg

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    If a Lee Collet neck sizing die is not adjusted properly it will crush the case shoulder.

In the dies instructions it tells you to not use the die without a case in the die. If you do not follow the directions it will close up the collet fingers and cause crushed shoulders.

Don't ask me how I know this but this is the most common mistake made with the Lee collet die.

Take the die apart and spread the collet fingers outward, this allows the case neck to slide up the mandrel and be sized by the collet.

The collet was squeezed against the mandrel without a case in the die. Now the collet will not let the case neck slip past the collet and collapses the case shoulder.

Again don't ask me how I know this but it caused by people who do not read the dies instructions "FIRST" before putting too much force on the collet and bending the fingers inward.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If a Lee Collet neck sizing die is not adjusted properly it will crush the case shoulder.

In the dies instructions it tells you to not use the die without a case in the die. If you do follow the dirrections it will close up the collet fingers and cause crushed shoulders.

Don't ask me how I know this but this is the most common mistake made with the Lee collet die.

Take the die apart and spread the collet fingers outward, this allows the case neck to slide up the mandrel and be sized by the collet.

The collet was squeezed against the mandrel without a case in the die. Now the collet will not let the case neck slip past the collet and collapses the case shoulder.

Again don't ask me how I know this but it caused by people who do not read the dies instructions "FIRST"before screwing up the die.

Thanks Ed

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom