• ...and so much more!
  • GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Hey guys!
    I could use some advice or recommendations on how you all sort your brass. I have recently, for the first time in my life, joined an indoor gun range. I am able to salvage most of my brass, but when i get home, sorting it by hand is a pain. Trying to sort the 9mm from the 380 and all the other rifle brass mixed in. How do you sort your brass? If there is a better method than sorting by hand, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What i do at my indoor range is shoot 1 caliber at a time then pick my brass up. If the wifes shooting her Ez shield 380, I'll shoot my Lcp custom. Then pick up all the brass. When she switches to her 22/45 lite 22lr, I'll shoot 9mm or 45acp, and pick up brass before i switch calibers. Sometimes get a 22lr shell inside the 9 or 45 cases, but simple enough to toss after i run them thru my cleaner.

It helps that where i shoot everyone does a good job of cleaning up after themselves, so not to many stray cases get into what i pick up.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What i do at my indoor range is shoot 1 caliber at a time then pick my brass up. If the wifes shooting her Ez shield 380, I'll shoot my Lcp custom. Then pick up all the brass. When she switches to her 22/45 lite 22lr, I'll shoot 9mm or 45acp, and pick up brass before i switch calibers. Sometimes get a 22lr shell inside the 9 or 45 cases, but simple enough to toss after i run them thru my cleaner.

It helps that where i shoot everyone does a good job of cleaning up after themselves, so not to many stray cases get into what i pick up.

This.

Or if you don't want to be slowed down when switching calibers you can invest in some sorting trays or make your own.

[video=youtube_share;khkkWUmHDsI]http://youtu.be/khkkWUmHDsI[/video]

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I go to Aldi and get those flat boxes pop cans come in. Sort by hand. Kids help and it goes quickly.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've 3D printed a set of sorters like what MCgrease08 shows in his post. Although not perfect, they do greatly speed up the sorting process. Do note that they aren't any good for separating 380 and 9mm, but would do a fine job pulling out the rifle and 40 cal brass.
    --Rick

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    If you get the trays, highly recommend you get the .380 plate as well.
    The wife shoots .380, and sorting her stuff out of the ton of 9mm at my range was a real pain before I added the plate

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I throw all my brass in the range bucket. I then position several 5 gal buckets around my chair and sort a handful at a time. Anything I don't reload gets sorted for sale or trade.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I get to take any range brass laying or in the range bucket, if it were just my brass, there would be no worries. I am going to get the trays. Thanks for the help!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Grrrrrrrr... One of my major Pet Peeves. (That and .380 brass mixed in with my 9mm.)

Don't forget the 38 Supers in the 9mm.

If the 10mm has a researgence, it'll be messing up the 40's also.

I've used the separators for many years, but never invested in the .380 plate. They seem pricey, wonder if they ever go on sale?

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i try to retrieve all my 45acp brass when i'm done with a match. i'll always get a few 40's and 9mm mixed in, for me it's not a big ordeal.
    i use [lastic tubs to sort brass, it's just a PITA to sort large & small primer 45's. when i get enough 40's together i try to trade for 45's
    when i get enough small primered brass together, i'll try the same thing.....

i hate swapping primer feeds on my press.....

:cheers:

Top Bottom