• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a M1 Garand and this Ammo came in on consignment. I was researching the ammo for value and some of the AP stuff was advertised pretty high. Can anybody here help me put a value on this. head stamp is LC 67 and it is magnetic

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    AP is usually black tipped
    From the picture I don't see it. I have a bunch of resized 7.62x54, to .308 that is copper clad. Mild steel jacket . Just because it's magnetic doesn't mean it's AP.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    AP is usually black tipped
    From the picture I don't see it. I have a bunch of resized 7.62x54, to .308 that is copper clad. Mild steel jacket . Just because it's magnetic doesn't mean it's AP.

Ok, I have been googling this trying to figure out what is was worth. Sounds like surplus ammo roughly $150.00? With The AP on the box and magnetic tip I thought it would be armor piercing

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've seen the older ammo NOT have black tip on ap shells. We used it all the time in training.
    I'm about 95% sure it's armor piercing but I'm going strictly from memory Allen.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I've seen the older ammo NOT have black tip on ap shells. We used it all the time in training.
    I'm about 95% sure it's armor piercing but I'm going strictly from memory Allen.

Thats one yes vote and one no vote :)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Until AmmoManAaron gets here; 30.06 AP made in US has a tungsten core. Don't think it is magnetic. BRB, going to check. EDIT, it is magnetic but slightly less so than steel jacket, if that makes sense... Pulled projectiles go for $1 to $1.75 each. Loaded ammo price is slightly less (go figure). Safe date for non-corrosive can be found by headstamp dates and manufacturer.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Ok, I have been googling this trying to figure out what is was worth. Sounds like surplus ammo roughly $150.00? With The AP on the box and magnetic tip I thought it would be armor piercing

More than one person has reused an ammo can. I'd trust it about as much as the proverbial used car salesman.

You have all the nice machining toys, pull a bullet and section section it and lets see what's inside.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    It's almost certainly M-2 Ball and not M-2 AP. A lot of M-2 Ball has a steel jacket with a copper alloy coating. It started in WWII as a resource conserving measure and was called "M-2 Alternative". The idea carried on after the war. The can was probably just a convenient storage option obtained as surplus, separately from the ammo. If you don't want to cut one open, just individually weigh a few of the loaded rounds on an accurate scale. If they are a little less than 400 grains (say 397 range), they are ball. If they are about 410 grains, possibly on up to about 420 grains, they are likely AP.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It's almost certainly M-2 Ball and not M-2 AP. A lot of M-2 Ball has a steel jacket with a copper alloy coating. It started in WWII as a resource conserving measure and was called "M-2 Alternative". The idea carried on after the war. The can was probably just a convenient storage option obtained as surplus, separately from the ammo. If you don't want to cut one open, just individually weigh a few of the loaded rounds on an accurate scale. If they are a little less than 400 grains (say 397 range), they are ball. If they are about 410 grains, possibly on up to about 420 grains, they are likely AP.

399.6981 grs. Thank you very much

Top Bottom