Making your own 6mm flobert in the privacy of your house..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    So lets say you wanting some 6mm FLobert ammo and you were to cheap to buy a tin for 70 bucks

could you not say get 22 cb shorts.. Remove the bullet.. Remove all that unneeded powder..

Then reload the 22 short case with a lead 22 cal pellet or lead 22 cal bb.. would you not have a reasonable facsimile of a 6mm Flobert round..??

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Reloading rimfire casings is a dangerous task, and the CB short casing is significantly longer than the Flobert, which would mean you'd have to figure a way to safely trim them.

Now provided you knew everything about what you were doing, I suppose it could be done, but since you're here asking, you must NOT be in that group of people... (100% same as me)

So no, you better not.

-Nate

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    If a .22 CB short is significantly longer than a 6mm Flobert round, I have to ask... what was the Flobert used for? Insect control?? :):

Yeah, it is not a powerful round.. It was invented in the 1840s for indoor parlor gun shooting, Big over in Europe.. also alot of those european 22 trainers use them

here is a nice little video to see what kind of penetration you get with them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNEFnKlOMc

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Zanders has 150rd tins instock for a good chunk less than $70. It would just depend on what your local dealer does for mark-up. Thats in case you can't make any.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm not going to ask 'Why?'...

How about cutting down .22 fired cases, then re-priming them for loading...?
    The .22 rimfire priming kits aren't hatefully expensive and working with an inert case would be MUCH safer.

When I saw .22 rimfire reloading kits I asked the 'Why?' question, the only reasonable answer is someone just wants to reload them.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I'm not going to ask 'Why?'...

How about cutting down .22 fired cases, then re-priming them for loading...?
    The .22 rimfire priming kits aren't hatefully expensive and working with an inert case would be MUCH safer.

When I saw .22 rimfire reloading kits I asked the 'Why?' question, the only reasonable answer is someone just wants to reload them.

Well the why is easy, you just do not find cheap flobert ammo in most stores..

Per reloading the primer liquid.. Well that looks fun and all but so does ripping the head off a 22 cb short and dumping out the powder.. I know an earlier postings did put the fear of God in me to the dangers of rimfire cases.. But I may get former demolition car drivers and adrenaline junkies to do it for me so I will stay safe..

Now the case length.. in some Scientific experiments, I have found that these 6mm florbert rifles are not case length sensitive in the least.. Infact most would chamber a 22 lr case without even caring..
    I can not speak for all 6mm Florbert rifles.. Just the ones I have handled.

Now personally speaking I do not think the gun would be a personal danger if you shot 22 lr in it. Most are older and look over engineered. But the gun was not set up for that kind of power and you will chance ruining the gun.. And there could be some danger.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well Jesus....then why don't you just try shooting a .22 CB Short in it?!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok , here is my take on this (from a machinists point of view) trimming the brass is easy, c'bore both jaws of a good quality vise to hold the rim, get a piloted c'bore chuck it up (in a good drill press or milling machine) close up the vise on the rim,run the c'bore tool down we but and chamfer......
    Seating the bullet is also easy.......option 1) drill a hardwood dowel or bolt is drilled with a shallow taper......place case on hard wood block, chuck up (in drill press chuck) rod, with power off seat bullet......a die and she'll hold for your press could be machined up on a lathe....
    I see pulling the bullet out as the only really issue......more of an issue as I think the aguila colibri rounds look like a good option......

I have lathe and mill if you wanna work with me on machining up the tooling you will need

Aaron

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Wow Aaron that is a nice offer.. lets see how things progress. Last night they released a guy for the Christmas holiday the local kids call leaping Leroy.. Hey, he is a nice guy but he thrives on danger. Use to race Midget karts and was in demolition derbies under the name "The Dutchman" and later as the "Flaming Dutchman".. I showed him some of the 22s, and showed him the warnings & he had eager to help.

So he ripped off the heads off some of those CB 22 shorts.. dumped out the powder and we replaced the bullets with 22 cal round ball and 22 cal pellets.
    You should have seen him he was as cool as a cucumber.

Below in the photo the 1st 2 are genuine flobart 6mm rounds brought over here all the way from Germany.

Then there is a pellet and round ball that was used.

The next 3 rounds are CB shorts with no powder one with the head of the pellet, the other 2 are rounds balls.

3442gi1.jpg

Could not test them out because we are not allowed to have knives or guns around Leroy.

But the ball rounds are pretty tight.. The Pellet is held in by the tail of the pellet but can move up and down in the case.
    it will not fall out.. But it moves.. So not real happy with the pellet reload.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Any updates on your ammo modifications? Test firing? New ideas? I'm interested because I've messed around with similar ideas in a few different rimfire calibers.

Top Bottom