• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been reloading for a few years now and up til now I have always used FMJ projectiles, 115 gr for my 9's. I use mostly 231 and Titegroup and have always seated to 1. 150 COL. Never had an issue.

Then I decided to get fancy; today I was going to work up some test loads with some 135 gr, Falcon coated lead. Nothing I did would make them work in my PPQ. I took them down to below 1" COL and they still wouldn't seat in the chamber. (PPQ's do have short chambers)

I then tried some 147 gr FMJ rounds I had around and I could get them to sorta work when taken down to 1.135. But get this; when I took it down to 1.100, it fit worse!

I measured some Freedom Munitions rounds I have and the 115's came in at 1.150 and the 135's measured 1.135. They both plunk right down in.

My nephew runs these Falcon bullets exclusively (competitive USPSA and former IDPA shooter) and says he doesn't have any issues even in his short chambered CZ's.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm thinking of buying 115's and being done with it. I had hoped to work up 4-5 different loads today and test them over the holidays.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I can't remember if I have just one, or two of them. Would you like to size a few and see if that is the problem? If it works, Traildust might have one on hand for purchase. Back to your OAL's, I worry that you might be building too much pressure. Especially with Titegroup. I haven't used 135gr projectiles and don't know the range for them....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can't remember if I have just one, or two of them. Would you like to size a few and see if that is the problem? If it works, Traildust might have one on hand for purchase. Back to your OAL's, I worry that you might be building too much pressure. Especially with Titegroup. I haven't used 135gr projectiles and don't know the range for them....

I actually have started with 231 at the min charge and thought about reducing that a little.

I found some load data on Hornady. There is not much out there on 135 grain.

Let me play around with it some more tomorrow and see if I can get a col that fits and is close to published data. Then I’ll try the die. Or if traildust is open tomorrow I may stop by.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My 135 grain loads will not work in my PPQ. They are flawless in my 1911s. Running 3.7 grains of Win231.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My 135 grain loads will not work in my PPQ. They are flawless in my 1911s. Running 3.7 grains of Win231.

Thats actually a little encouraging. Maybe it is the bullet. What was your issue Vert?

I guess I could use them in my 1911 instead of selling them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thats actually a little encouraging. Maybe it is the bullet. What was your issue Vert?

I guess I could use them in my 1911 instead of selling them.

Too long. Won’t chamber. I am loading to 1.13” with the 135 grain Bayou Bullet.

Incidently short COAL won’t run right in a 9mm 1911. If to short they won’t feed.

Best PPQ load I have found is the discontinued 124 grain TC loaded to 1.08”. It is awesome in the PPQ but won’t feed in the 1911.

The Bayou 124 grain LRN loaded to 1.25” over 4.2 grains on Win 231 works in everything and is economical. But the 135s shoot softer.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay....may sound stupid but run one through the press but don't add the projectile and see if they will seat.

Where I am going with this is what I ran I to with my PPS....Walther still uses the original step down chamber instead of a tapered chamber....your brass may be catching on the step in the chamber.

Not sure you ever looked at the brass coming out of your PPQ but my PPS left a very distinct ring on the brass which finally ended up with me contacting Walther.

I found my coated reloads also had a problem feeding because of this.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks Vert. I'm going to try one more time today to see if I can get these 135 coated to chamber at 1.1105 or so. If not, I think I'll go back to jacketed rounds and try some different weights. I really wish I could have a round that works in both of my pistols instead of needing two rounds though.

Bob, doesn't sound stupid at all. I have actually done that to see if it is the case. I measured the chamber depth (.615" to the step), measured several cases (.745-.751), and they drop right in. Factory rounds sit flush or slightly below flush to the tang on the barrel hood so I figure my loads should sit that deep also.

The ones I tried yesterday were proud up to .030-.040".

So, I wrote this earlier but forgot to hit "post". I tried again and this morning I was able to load up 8 different recipes across 2 powders with an COL of 1.105. They all drop into the chamber with a nice "click" as the casing hits the step. Turn the barrel upside down and the round drops out.

I guess I wasn't holding my mouth right yesterday. I can't figure out what I did wrong. So one day this holiday week I'll hit the range and see which one I like the best.

Thanks everyone for your input!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Might be worth a try to add that fourth die. Do you have one?

+1 on giving that a try... I'm loading some 147g HST 'pulls' and I started with using a Hornady 'American' seating die. (3 die setup I was using for mouse farts). I was getting a slight case bulge around the bottom of the 147gr bullet. Mixed 1 fired cases. I had to switch to using the '4th' die setup from a set of 4 die Lees. So... the 3rd die seats the proj, the 4th is set for a slight crimp and it gets rid of the 'bulge'.

I had the same issue, I was using a PPX for load testing and trying the 'plop' test. No go. Went to the 4 die setup and all good.

Just my :twocents:.

Merry Christmas :ingo:

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am with @BiscuitsandGravy here...

I tried working up some .40 loads (coated lead bullets) with two-in-one seating/crimp die. It was a DISASTER. I could never get it to work. I think there are some bullet combinations that just don't do well with the combo die. So many guys are doing it successfully, so it *should* work, right? Not always is the lesson I learned. I went back to separate stations, and voila! Everything worked as expected again.

I went this route when I added my Mr. Bullet Feeder to my XL650. I lost a space on the tool head, and wanted to keep my powder check die.

I worked on it for weeks, and finally gave up out of frustration.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks. I was able to successfully set it up. I have only used the combo dies so I think I’m getting the hang of it. It was actually easy peasy once I gave it some thought. I’m loading on a single stage so maybe that has something to do with it. I already do enough pulls of the handle lol. I don’t want to add another if I don’t have to.. I’m going to the range after lunch to see how they work.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Perhaps the issue isn't the length of the cartridge. Perhaps it's slight bulges in the finished cartridge.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to set the crimp in my 9 mm loads. It has a sizer ring in the die that removes any slight imperfections in the round that happened during the reloading process.
    Once I started using that as my last step, any chambering problems I had went away.

Good luck to you and enjoy! :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Back from the range. Loads all functioned fine. I really didn't see a lot of difference in the accuracy of the different recipes. I wasn't using any kind of lock down rest though.

I did notice the feel of the rounds though as some were definitely "snappier" than others. I would most likely go with 3.4 grains of Titegroup with the 135's at 1.105 but I have decided that I am walking away from the idea of competitive pistol shooting and maybe even reloading. It's a long story but first up for sale will be this Q5 and a weapon light since I won't have anything that can use it.

I'm going to think a little longer whether I want to keep my reloading equipment but I'm about 80% sure I'm going to sell it at this point.

Thanks again for the help in getting my loads worked out and have a Merry Christmas!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It's a long story but first up for sale will be this Q5 and a weapon light since I won't have anything that can use it.

I'm going to think a little longer whether I want to keep my reloading equipment but I'm about 80% sure I'm going to sell it at this point.

Not going to pry, but I certainly hope things work out OK for you my friend. Here's wishing you health and happiness. Prayers for all...

Top Bottom