• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Besides the internet.... I am looking for a book that goes over most common calibers and basic reloading info. Any recommendations?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have several manuals and use them all for reference. I would definitely get a book from the bullet company you mostly use. I use Hornady. I also use the Speer and Lyman manuals.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Public library may be a temporary source for you. Borrow or take a picture of the pages you need. Traildust here in Bloomington will let you reference what you need to look up while you are shopping for powder/projectiles.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    The Lyman manual is one of the best for reloading procedures, plus it uses a variety of bullets and powders and covers all the popular calibers. Add one from your favorite bullet manufacturer and you will have a good start. If you use Hodgdon, IMR, or Winchester powders the current Hodgdon Annual manual, sold on newsstands, is a good buy. Accurate has a new manual if you use their powders. Happy reloading!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I like the Lyman manual the best, but also have the Lee, Speer, and Hodgdon manuals. The more sources the better.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have quite a few manuals and Sierra is by far the best in regards to instructions and considerations for loading. For data I would highly recommend buying more than one manual, because it help to see how different loads can be, for the same powder and bullet weight. The recommended charge weight range can be very different from manual to manual in some cases.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The answers above were all very good. Get many manuals. I like Lyman and ABC's of Reloading. The most important part of the manuals for beginners is the first half of the book. That contains detailed info on the reloading process. It is important to understand the processes involved and other concepts a beginner may not be aware of. Get several manuals and read the front part of each book before beginning reloading. You will have a better understanding and you will be much better prepared for loading your own ammo. I've been reloading for over 37 years and always recommend this for newer reloaders.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the Lyman's 50th edition, The ABC's of Reloading, and the Hornady manuals, but I also have a Speer, the Hodgdon manuals, one from Accurate...
    You can never have too much information.

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    Using different manuals and searching the internet leads to madness. Many different manuals will have varied load data. Book for the weight and style bullet you are using is the best starting place. IMHO

Top Bottom