• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    So, I currently run a Lee Classic Turret. It has been a good press with the added accessories. One of the best things I did was get the Inline Fabrication auto bullet discharge which helped speed things up. I am getting involved with the shooting sports and with limited time I need a higher output press. So, I have been drooling over the RL550C from Dillon. Who is running one and what are the must have add ons that I need to be saving up for? Any tips or tricks I shoiuld know about? Any inherent problems with the operation of that press?

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    You will not regret your choice! They are fantastic machines. As for add on items, for the average shoot they are OK in stock form. The thing I get extra is the Quick change set-up with each caliber. They make changing a breeze. As for the rest, get what your "pocket book" will allow!!! L.O.L. Be advised that once you get one you'll want MORE!!!!

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am going to throw you a curveball...

Consider the XL650 instead of the RL550. Not *that* much more expensive, yet provides so much more and has auto-indexing. Gives you a path to grow into for sure. Add the case feeder, and it really becomes a beast. I just added the Mr. Bullet Feeder to mine, and I am just thrilled.

If you are getting involved with shooting sports, your need for ammunition is just going to continue to grow.

The 550 is a great machine, don't get me wrong, but the 650 is the platform that you will wish you had bought in the first place a year from now.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    You will not regret your choice! They are fantastic machines. As for add on items, for the average shoot they are OK in stock form. The thing I get extra is the Quick change set-up with each caliber. They make changing a breeze. As for the rest, get what your "pocket book" will allow!!! L.O.L. Be advised that once you get one you'll want MORE!!!!

Right now I am only doing 9mm but the ability of this press to do such a wide range of calibers, pistol and rifle, is a top reason this is my choice. I have heard nothing but good about Dillon and can not wait to pick this up next month when it is fully funded. All my hobbies leave me wanting more....and broke. Shooting, motorcycles, and ham radio. How accurate is the powder feed? I currently do not load some powders that have a .5 grain window because I do not have complete faith in my current feed and do not want to check every single drop. I would like to load 30 or 40 and be confident that they are consistent. Your thoughts?

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I am going to throw you a curveball...

Consider the XL650 instead of the RL550. Not *that* much more expensive, yet provides so much more and has auto-indexing. Gives you a path to grow into for sure. Add the case feeder, and it really becomes a beast. I just added the Mr. Bullet Feeder to mine, and I am just thrilled.

If you are getting involved with shooting sports, your need for ammunition is just going to continue to grow.

The 550 is a great machine, don't get me wrong, but the 650 is the platform that you will wish you had bought in the first place a year from now.

I have considered that and $100 really is not that much of a difference. Love the thought of auto index and I just read it comes with a case feed which is worth the extra $100 to me. Thank you for costing me money Doublehelix. LOL

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    There are no “must” have add-ons needed other than conversions for each caliber you will be loading. Extra tool heads, powder measures, and powder dies (one of each is included in a quick change) are nice to have. Also a spare parts kit can save a reloading session if something breaks.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Honestly, it's a rotary tool head press that packs everything tightly on top the tool head.
    Adjustments are tight due to space restrictions but Dillon does work out of the box.

Dillon has great support, if you buy a Blue press it's covered by the lifetime no BS warranty, and it's a true NO BS warranty.

Some things could be better, but the price would skyrocket, so pick & choose what you actually need from the aftermarket and add it.
    Reducing friction (and wear) makes things run better for some applications, the aftermarket supports this pretty well.
    Stay away from printed plastic parts when you can, metal will always live longer, and the press will last for YEARS under heavy use.
    With DECADES of use, reducing friction/wear is a good idea, even when you get free parts. No one wants to get started and have to stop to wait on parts that have worn down...

I have Square Deal B, XL650 & Super 1050.
    I can't tell you about 450 or 550 since I don't own them.
    The SBD cranks out my common pistol calibers (.45 ACP & 9mm) with very few fails and have done this for nearly 20 years.
    All it's ask is PROPER LUBRICATION and an occasional replacement part (usually plastic primer feed tips).
    The XL650 cranks out common rifle calibers without many issues (doesn't like Winchester primers) and the rounds are well within specification.
    With a powder check, the advertised 650/hour rate is possible with nothing more than extra primer pickup tubes & a case feeder, and the rounds SHOOT really well.
    (How the ammo SHOOTS is the acid test, how you get there is what drives people crazy)

Since you are running a tool head press now, you already know how tight space on a tool head is, and you already know how to adjust dies, so this will probably be a good change of brand for you.
    Keep in mind, Dillon keeps 80% of it's purchase value if you decide you don't like it, or you want to upgrade later.

I wanted one round per pull on the handle, so I skipped right past the 550 series, and I ran with an $240 case feeder.
    It's possible to do 650/hr hand feeding bullets, and trust me on this, bullet feeders are more mechanicals, so there are more issues & things to watch. Bullet feeders aren't cheap so make that decision depending on your volume of production rather than speed...
    Buy or build, a case feeder is a gift from the ballistics gods!
    My 5 gallon bucket feeders (YouTube) cost about $50 and take common tools to build, so if you are handy, keep that in mind...

Last edited:

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    In my experience I have never over bought on tools. I currently use a 650 but I wish I would have bought a 1050. Upgrading is a hassle and of coarse you loose money selling anything used.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We're running 2 550's and a 650
    Both are great machines, but the 550 is a little more forgiving.
    Besides the extra tool heads / powder drops mentioned earlier I'd add one of these to whatever you choose to get - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d-light-dillon-550-a.html?336455=#post4857914

I don't remember if its that thread or a different one that tells you how to make them.

I see in the Blue Press ( monthly catalog from Dillon) they are offering a case feeder for the 550, I have not looked into theses

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    I got a 550 B and it’s great I do have 3 complete tool heads and dies for 45 acp,38-357 and 9 mm. I have them all set up all I do is pull two pins slide one out and slide the other in. I never thought about the 650 but wish I did now.
    I got into competition shooting with my pcc and my pistol I go through about 4 to 5,000 rounds of 9 mm alone, so that takes up most my time. I have never set up my dies for 308 or 223.
    I do have the strong mount and love it and as red said the the sky light is worth every $.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I got a 550 B and it’s great I do have 3 complete tool heads and dies for 45 acp,38-357 and 9 mm. I have them all set up all I do is pull two pins slide one out and slide the other in. I never thought about the 650 but wish I did now.
    I got into competition shooting with my pcc and my pistol I go through about 4 to 5,000 rounds of 9 mm alone, so that takes up most my time. I have never set up my dies for 308 or 223.
    I do have the strong mount and love it and as red said the the sky light is worth every $.

I believe I will hold out for the XL650. Thanks for the feedback.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Thanks to all of you for the great information and ideas....even though it will cost me more money. I think I am also going to add the Double
    Alpha case feed system. It is a 6 tube magazine that will hold 150 9mm and once you use up a tube you turn it to the next. Video is here.
    [video=youtube_share;qvYnd2gnz6Y]https://youtu.be/qvYnd2gnz6Y[/video]

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have used a Dillon 550 for several years, and I think it is a very good reloading machine. The Dillon customer service is outstanding. In my opinion, the main short coming with it is the primer slde. Be sure to keep it clean. I have mine mounted on a Dillon Strong Mount and I find it very useful. I was hoping for an Inline Fabrication Light for Christmas, but it seems I will need to take care of that soon. Enjoy you new set up, you will greatly appreciate it.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I was going to get the 650 but a friend that has a 550, 650, and a 1050 talked me into a 550 because I would have more control over the process. The 550 is a manual index, the others are automatic. Keep in mind the faster you reload, the faster you make mistakes. I now have two 550s, one for .45 Colt and the other for .38 Special. I keep my single stage press for oddball reloading like .38 Long Colt and .45-70.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I went with a 650. It’s not hard to hit advertised rates with a case feeder and several primer tubes.

When starting out, go slow and get the feel. There is a learning curve. I still consider myself a rookie reloader with right at 10k in 2018 loaded on this 650, but I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was going to get the 650 but a friend that has a 550, 650, and a 1050 talked me into a 550 because I would have more control over the process. The 550 is a manual index, the others are automatic. Keep in mind the faster you reload, the faster you make mistakes. I now have two 550s, one for .45 Colt and the other for .38 Special. I keep my single stage press for oddball reloading like .38 Long Colt and .45-70.

Exactly, Even Mike Dillon said a 550 will do 99% of all reloaders needs. We run a 450 a 550 and a 650, The 550 is the main machine we use.

I would also suggest buying a strong mount a bullet tray and a roller handle.. And if you are going to load handgun rounds i would suggest Dillon dies. the quick release pins for cleaning are well worth the cost.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have a 550B. I load 5 rifle calibers and and 9mm. Started out loading .223 and .204 and grew from there. The strong mount is the #1 accessory in my opinion. I don't believe the auto-index or auto-feed features are worth having. Takes me about 12-15 minutes to load 100 rounds feeding and indexing manually. I've got the time. :):

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The Dillon 550 is a classic. I upgraded from the Lee Classic Turret years ago and never looked back. The 550 has been utterly reliable. The powder throwers are quite accurate with the powders I use particularly CFE Pistol and 223 that meter like water. The primer system needs a few minutes of work aligning it, but once done I have not had problems. I’ve heard others complain about the primer system; however, when I hear their complaints, I believe they are rushing things and not following instructions correctly. I too drooled over the 650 but for my volume that fluctuates up and down (1000-2500/mo) the 550 is able to meet my needs easily. My calibers are all set up on separate tool heads and caliber changes are easy once you do it a few times. Yes, the 650 is more automated, but, there is something about a little manual control that really swayed me to the 550B. Notwithstanding my experience here, pick your new Dillon, upgrade from the Lee turret, drink the “blue Kool Aid” and never look back. Best of luck!

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Exactly, Even Mike Dillon said a 550 will do 99% of all reloaders needs. We run a 450 a 550 and a 650, The 550 is the main machine we use.

I would also suggest buying a strong mount a bullet tray and a roller handle.. And if you are going to load handgun rounds i would suggest Dillon dies. the quick release pins for cleaning are well worth the cost.

For about $100 you can upgrade that 450 to a 550. Both of our 550's started life as 450's.
    They send you a 550 frame. your ram and linkage system move right over. Very easy upgrade.
    The quick change of the dies on a 550 make it so much nicer than the 450

Top Bottom