• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    I've been tossing around the idea of putting a case feeder on my Dillon 550. Has anyone out there done it? I would love to hear the "pros & cons of this type of setup. I also need to know how tall it is from bench top to top of the feeder. I have my reloading station in the basement and I have only so much height.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was just looking at these lastnight
    I'm guessing your best answer for height might come from giving Dillon a call.
    I have a few other questions I need to ask them, will the shell plates and feed conversions from a 650 case feeder work on the 550? We have a 650 with the case feeder on it already

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    I got on the Dillon forum and they said 37 inches from the bench & 451/2 inches with a strong mount. Your question about the 650 on the 550, just a guess I would say no. If the part numbers are different they are more than likely different.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The 550 shell plate 4 slots cut for brass, The 650 shell plate has 5 slots cut for brass. The shell plates are not interchangeable.
    What is it you expect to gain with a case feeder?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The shell plate inside the case feeder, big plastic one that spins to load the case feeder, not the shell plate on the press.
    I would expect to gain more cases per hour as your not handeling each case for an additional step

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just off the phone with Dillon. the gray plate inside the case feeder is the same. the tube adapter and the little metal piece on the bottom of the feed is different between the 650 and 550 case feeder

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The shell plate inside the case feeder, big plastic one that spins to load the case feeder, not the shell plate on the press.
    I would expect to gain more cases per hour as your not handeling each case for an additional step

You still have to stop to put a bullet on each case, I push a case in station one at the same time as. I drop a bullet on station three. Lots of money for little gain.
    Personally would just spend the money on another 550 and have one for each size primer so swapping conversions are faster and easier.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You still have to stop to put a bullet on each case, I push a case in station one at the same time as. I drop a bullet on station three. Lots of money for little gain.
    Personally would just spend the money on another 550 and have one for each size primer so swapping conversions are faster and easier.

Already have 2 550's and a 650 plus a rock chucker set up.
    We're set up for 9mm, 45Colt (on the 550's) and .38's on the 650 at the moment. with a case feeder on the 650
    Yes I put a case in #1 at the same time I put a bullet at #3 also. But you have to take your hand off the lever ,set a case, put your hand back on it etc.
    You're removing all the extra movement out of that step.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Already have 2 550's and a 650 plus a rock chucker set up.
    We're set up for 9mm, 45Colt (on the 550's) and .38's on the 650 at the moment. with a case feeder on the 650
    Yes I put a case in #1 at the same time I put a bullet at #3 also. But you have to take your hand off the lever ,set a case, put your hand back on it etc.
    You're removing all the extra movement out of that step.

I really dont see it as an extra movement since you have to stop to seat a bullet. Its your sailboat, trim the sails to your liking.
    Its funny how people do things different by what calibers the shoot and how much of each they shoot.
    My 450 loads nothing but 38 Special Wadcutters, My 650 with feeder loads nothing but 9mm and 223, the 550 loads everything else except most bolt gun needs and BP cartridges. For that like you, I use a rock chucker or a little partner press for the 218 bee and smaller cases we form into 17 and 19 caliber wildcats.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I ordered one with my new 650. Wouldn't load without it. Works wonderful and speeds things up. Probably get a bullet feeder soon. Sit back and pull the handle. Buy one and you'll wish you bought it sooner.

Give Bobcat a call. He might have a used one.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel

I totally agree as a longtime 550B user. Once you learn the hand movements as described above and get the rhythm going you can crank out a few hundred rounds per hour easily. Save the $ and get a few low cost upgrades such as the roller bearing for the shell plate and the extended plate/left side roller bearing for the primer set up. Peace. Out!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Most times when a customer of ours is looking to add a casefeeder to their 550, they end up trading their 550 in on a 650.

You end up gaining some additional functionality with the 650 as well as being able to casefeed rifle cartridges as well. One thing that people do not realize is you will also need casefeed conversions for the 550 in addition to the casefeed plate and press conversions. This makes the caliber changeovers almost a wash on cost between the 550 and 650.

Give us a call or swing through the shop.....be more than happy to discuss any/all options.

Heads up, all Dillon prices are increasing on January 1st.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm not using Dillon equip, so can't say HOW to do it... but I've added a 3d printed case feeder to my Hornady LNL, and it is the Cat's Meow! If you are even considering it, I'm certain you will LOVE it once installed.
    --Rick

Top Bottom