• miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Something in the air...

LAKE CITY 5.56MM NATO XM855 BULK BARREL

"The largest bulk pack we offer! New-manufactured 5.56x45mm NATO ammo has a 62-grain SS109 bullet with a green-painted steel "penetrator" tip over a lead core with a partial jacket. Loose/Bulk packaged 12,500 rounds in a barrel."

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    But, but..... Can you order these barrels of ammo if you live in California, New York or New Jersey? I think the "authorities" would pop a gasket if they ever saw a citizen, who is otherwise legally able, try to buy a barrel of 5.56 ammo in this quantity in these states. Just sayin....

CENTURIATOR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2018
    Saint Louis
    Awesome....Hornady, top notch ammo. Would definitely make sense if you shoot a LOT of it. That would last me about 2-3 years at the rate I shoot the stuff.

At first glance this seems kind of nuts, but ... this offer has me thinking. Much thinking.

Hornady ammo....Hornady bullets.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Group buy.

If you split it very many ways, it's not really a good deal. Federal has a rebate that is bringing their stuff down to about $250 per 1000 rounds. And you can get the rebate on up to 8 cases, so even split two ways it's not really worth it. Unless you just really like Hornady.

The sealed barrel is nice for storage but not for splitting.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Think you should count all 13889 to make sure they are all accounted for. That is a very odd number too.

I was thinking the same thing. C'mon. Why not just make it 14K or even 13,890? You know there isn't some guy sitting in the shipping department going "13,800 13,801 13,802............................"

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I was thinking the same thing. C'mon. Why not just make it 14K or even 13,890? You know there isn't some guy sitting in the shipping department going "13,800 13,801 13,802............................"

What I thought as well!!! You telling me they couldn’t fit 111 more rounds in there?!?!? My OCD goes haywire thinking about it!!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

This isn't china, we don't have the manpower for that. It's an accountant or marketing guy going WTF do I do with this... well gross wt is X lbs, barrel is Y lbs, ammo is Z/lb so there must be X-Y/Z rounds.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    If anyone is truly considering this deal, you should read up on Hornady Frontier ammo. It seems to be absolute garbage. From what I understand, it is loaded in the Lake City plant and not by Hornady.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    At .28 cents per round, pass. If you multiply that for a box of 20, that's 5.61 per box, roughly $140 a half case, $280 for a full case, and this is still talking 55 gr Hornady 5.56 which has a documented history of primer pops and weird pressure issues. I personally bought 200 rounds and gave 189 away to a friend with full disclosure. 3 popped primers in 11 rounds isn't my idea of fun. OH, Contact Hornady you say? They'll make it right you say? How about QCing your ammo so it doesn't have these issues... What good does that 'warranty' or 'good customer service' do when I have a roaming hoard of black leather and hockey mask clad goons tearing up my neighborhood, just telling me to "walk away..."? :D

I'll stick with handloading a few thousand rounds a year like I do or buying LC or IMI M193 that I know WON'T pop primers, lock up my gun and I've had good experience with... Is it a barrel of it? No, but then again, why buy fail by the commercial unit of barrel when I can just buy it by the case and not have buyers remorse? I do LOVE their projectiles. Best FMJ and SP on the market for .223 for the price!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Awesome....Hornady, top notch ammo. Would definitely make sense if you shoot a LOT of it. That would last me about 2-3 years at the rate I shoot the stuff.

At first glance this seems kind of nuts, but ... this offer has me thinking. Much thinking.

Hornady ammo....Hornady bullets.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom