• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay...I know 7.62X39 is not the "Classic" hunting round but I have a Ruger American and want to use it for deer season next year.

That being said from what I have read the Ruger American is in .310-.311 bore diam..

The heaviest projects I have been able to find are 154gr. I am hunting in a semi-urban area where noise and travel distance once hit are both concerns. So I think what I am envisioning is a subsonic 7.62X39 similar to a 300BO.

Does anyone know a source for heavier pills than what I have been able to find.

Also I am not interested in changing to a 300BO or 458 SOCOM because of the holly ton of 7.62X39 ammo I already have for range time, trigger time, and practice with the rifle.

I have no problem reloading the hunting rounds but am struggling with the components.

Also if need be cast could be an option but would need a source for them...not interest in casting or special molds.

Thanks in advance.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    7.62x54R is .311 or .312 just watch how much you seat the bullet in that short neck.
    You also could use cast bullets and size accordingly.
    I would bet a .308 cast bullet left unsized would fill your needs..

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There are several sources for .311 bullets up to pushing 200 gr. .303 brits standard weight is 174 for FMJ, 180gr hunting bullets are readily available. X54r and 7.7 Jap are also .311. My biggest concern would be that those hunting bullets are designed to open up somewhere in the 2500fps range. Loaded to subsonic speeds, they’ll probably just pencil right through a deer. For what you are thinking, I believe a cast hollow point would be the best bet. I’m sure you could find a custom caster with a hollow point .30-30 bullet that he could probably size to .311-313 for you. It would be worth a test, and you’ve got almost a year to find something that will work. I have a few hollow point molds, including some I’ve modified myself, but nothing suitable for you. I know I’ve got a couple of .30 cal molds in the 150-180 range. I’d be happy to cast some up and see if they’d size accordingly for you to try out. Then you could work on finding a hollow point version from a supplier.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Why are you thinking heavy/subsonic loads? Your Ruger is not equipped with the proper rate of twist for that to work very well, if at all. You're likely to have keyholing above a certain length of projectile.

You would be far better served with 125gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets, or something similar, driven about as fast as that cartridge will allow. There is a reason the factory loads were all in that weight range.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Why are you thinking heavy/subsonic loads? Your Ruger is not equipped with the proper rate of twist for that to work very well, if at all. You're likely to have keyholing above a certain length of projectile.

You would be far better served with 125gr Nosler ballistic tip bullets, or something similar, driven about as fast as that cartridge will allow. There is a reason the factory loads were all in that weight range.

Well I am thinking subsonic because I am not wanting the supersonic crack that comes with the sound barrier and seems to echo up the entire valley and am wanting a heavy round the anchor the deer when shot.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    There are several sources for .311 bullets up to pushing 200 gr. .303 brits standard weight is 174 for FMJ, 180gr hunting bullets are readily available. X54r and 7.7 Jap are also .311. My biggest concern would be that those hunting bullets are designed to open up somewhere in the 2500fps range. Loaded to subsonic speeds, they’ll probably just pencil right through a deer. For what you are thinking, I believe a cast hollow point would be the best bet. I’m sure you could find a custom caster with a hollow point .30-30 bullet that he could probably size to .311-313 for you. It would be worth a test, and you’ve got almost a year to find something that will work. I have a few hollow point molds, including some I’ve modified myself, but nothing suitable for you. I know I’ve got a couple of .30 cal molds in the 150-180 range. I’d be happy to cast some up and see if they’d size accordingly for you to try out. Then you could work on finding a hollow point version from a supplier.

Thanks for the heads up and I think we are heading in the right direction with the discussion. I just need to find a source now.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Well I am thinking subsonic because I am not wanting the supersonic crack that comes with the sound barrier and seems to echo up the entire valley and am wanting a heavy round the anchor the deer when shot.

I would bet unless you went cast, the heavier bullets will not expand and do their intended job..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

BroomJim is correct on both counts and the Nosler BT he suggested or something similar will do a far better job of anchoring a deer quickly than a heavy, unstable projectile.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

With all due respect, if you want less noise out of a 7.62x39, a suppressor is the way to go, because it will not stabilize those long, heavy-for-caliber bullets. Unless you get a custom barrel with a much faster twist, those bullets will not stabilize, which means they will not hit where you aim and will not penetrate well, wherever they land.

Heavy bullets do not "anchor" anything. Big game animals are killed by disruption of the central nervous system or the cardiovascular system. Bullets intended for hunting big game are designed for higher velocities, hit where they are aimed, expand somewhat (if so designed) and penetrate deeply, if not entirely through the animal. They destroy tissue, typically lungs or vascular tissue (veins and arteries), which deprives the brain of hot, oxygenated blood. Coma and death ensue quickly.

What you are proposing, in slow-moving, heavy-for-caliber bullets, will decrease their effectiveness in destroying those tissues. Even the 300 Blackout, when used for hunting, employs lighter weight bullets that are intended to perform as above.

Please be sure you understand how and why the ideas you are proposing will fail, so you don't wind up doing something you deeply regret.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    bobjones,
    Distance is going to be the big factor.

Heavy bunt soft lead bore rider paper patched (sorry if I'm giving you a headache :)) might just be the ticket.
    Put as much lead up the bore as you can. Preserve the available powder space. Make it expand to fill the rifling. Make it splat when it gets there.

Top Bottom