• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I have to say, as great as I find the XL650 there are some things that I want to do. Yesterday I was able to sit down a little longer and loaded 250 9mm rounds. Did not take long. In between I also installed the KMS Squared UFO650 light kit that arrived in the mail. What a great improvement. As I reloaded I experienced the reason most of you say to get a casefeeder. Being the cheap person I am I don't think I am springing for the Dillon case feeder so I am going to buy the Double Alpha Mini Casefeeder. 22 cases goes way to fast and you can load 150 into this magazine. https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder

The other item I want to get is from Snowshooze on eBay. It is a primer feed on/off switch. Really cool design.
    https://youtu.be/sH7UWT4r76A

Do any of you have experience with either of these? What upgrades have you done the rest of us might not have heard of?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have the primer on/off switch, and I love it.

Here is a list of the mods that I have made to mine:

Inline Fabrication Ulta Mount w/ Quick Change Adapter
    Inline Fabrication Ergo Roller Handle
    Inline Fabrication Sky Light
    Taylor Tactical Supply Powder Drop adjustable knob
    Dillon Bullet tray w/ Inline Fabrication mounting bracket
    Level 10 Innovations - Shellplate bearing kit
    https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-...on-650-shellplate-bearing-kit-w-low-mass-ball
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Spent Primer Drop Upgrade
    Dillon Upgrades
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Missed Live Primer Upgrade
    Dillon Upgrades
    Snowshooze Roller Cam Follower (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-6...mprovements-Roller-Cam-Follower-/321117491057
    Snowshooze Rotocam Actuator (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-SL-900-Rotocam-Actuator-/222412345759
    Snowshooze Dillon Primer stop switch for XL 650, SL 900
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Pri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Primer Tube Rack hold 10 pick-up tubes on Dillon Case Feeder Press 650 1050 550
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Primer-Tub...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And then here is a good trick to stop the case feed from dropping another case:

Stop XL650 Case feeder trick with .38 Special case (long-winded explanation, skip to the details at the end):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsB8OMOU6O0

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been loading on a SDB for 25 years.

the only thing ive done to mine was build my version of a strong mount. this was way before dillon or anyone else had them available for the SDB

i found over the years 500-600 rounds are about my tolerance for pulling the handle...
    i'll load up primers, and keep going until i have to reload primer tubes

:cheers:

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    I have the primer on/off switch, and I love it.

Here is a list of the mods that I have made to mine:

Inline Fabrication Ulta Mount w/ Quick Change Adapter
    Inline Fabrication Sky Light
    Taylor Tactical Supply Powder Drop adjustable knob
    Dillon Bullet tray w/ Inline Fabrication mounting bracket
    Level 10 Innovations - Shellplate bearing kit
    https://lvl10i.com/collections/all-...on-650-shellplate-bearing-kit-w-low-mass-ball
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Spent Primer Drop Upgrade
    Dillon Upgrades
    Dillon Upgrades (Steve Thone) - Missed Live Primer Upgrade
    Dillon Upgrades
    Snowshooze Roller Cam Follower (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-6...mprovements-Roller-Cam-Follower-/321117491057
    Snowshooze Rotocam Actuator (eBay)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-SL-900-Rotocam-Actuator-/222412345759
    Snowshooze Dillon Primer stop switch for XL 650, SL 900
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Pri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Primer Tube Rack hold 10 pick-up tubes on Dillon Case Feeder Press 650 1050 550
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Primer-Tub...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And then here is a good trick to stop the case feed from dropping another case:

Stop XL650 Case feeder trick with .38 Special case (long-winded explanation, skip to the details at the end):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsB8OMOU6O0

Thank you doublehelix. You mentioned a couple of companies I have never heard of. Will probably be purchasing some of the stuff offered that you mentioned.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    ive been loading on a SDB for 25 years.

the only thing ive done to mine was build my version of a strong mount. this was way before dillon or anyone else had them available for the SDB

i found over the years 500-600 rounds are about my tolerance for pulling the handle...
    i'll load up primers, and keep going until i have to reload primer tubes

:cheers:

With the stock setup I get the 100 primers in the tube but have to reload the casefeed tube 4 times to keep up with the primers. After coming off a Lee Classic Turret I thought filling the casefeeder would not be a hassle. I was wrong. The Dillon just continues to spoil me.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I purchased the following upgrades:

Inline Fabrication Skylight Kit
    Inline Fabrication Micro Ultra Mount
    Inline Fabrication Akro Bin Mount
    Armanov Primer On/Off switch
    Armanov Index Roller bearing kit
    Armanov Powder Knob
    Armanov Spent Primer Kit
    Hit Factor low mass index ball and spring
    Hit Factor roller bearing case feeder rod
    MrBullet Feeder w/9mm and 223 conversions
    Dillon RT1500 Trimmer w/Oreck Pro5 canister vac
    Lyman M Dies for 223 and 300 BLK (Awesome when using Mr Bullet Feeder)

I think the best upgrade was the Armanov Primer ON/OFF switch! Saves a lot of fumbling around when i need the priming station to not index.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have to say, as great as I find the XL650 there are some things that I want to do. Yesterday I was able to sit down a little longer and loaded 250 9mm rounds. Did not take long. In between I also installed the KMS Squared UFO650 light kit that arrived in the mail. What a great improvement. As I reloaded I experienced the reason most of you say to get a casefeeder. Being the cheap person I am I don't think I am springing for the Dillon case feeder so I am going to buy the Double Alpha Mini Casefeeder. 22 cases goes way to fast and you can load 150 into this magazine. https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder

The other item I want to get is from Snowshooze on eBay. It is a primer feed on/off switch. Really cool design.
    https://youtu.be/sH7UWT4r76A

Do any of you have experience with either of these? What upgrades have you done the rest of us might not have heard of?

Question OP, why did you buy a fully progressive press that has an optional automatic case loader and you want add a case loader that you have to fill and is limited to 3 calibers? Do yourself a favor and spend the money for a Dillon case feeder.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Question OP, why did you buy a fully progressive press that has an optional automatic case loader and you want add a case loader that you have to fill and is limited to 3 calibers? Do yourself a favor and spend the money for a Dillon case feeder.

It might be a bridge until I can come up with the full amount for a real blue casefeeder. Might not. Once I have the cash for that I can dump the mini casefeeder to help pay for it. Either way I can not stand the thought of 22 at a time for much longer. Semper Fi BTW

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It might be a bridge until I can come up with the full amount for a real blue casefeeder. Might not. Once I have the cash for that I can dump the mini casefeeder to help pay for it. Either way I can not stand the thought of 22 at a time for much longer. Semper Fi BTW

I get it brother, Semper Fi.
    Please post how it works for you...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I popped for a dillon case feeder, roller handle, and strong mount.

I have an old desk lamp so I can check powder. Made my own bullet tray out of wood. Hit it with semi gloss black and bolted it to the strong mount.

Need a fix for primers hitting the floor and a bullet feeder.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Snowshooz, or Mark Richardson, makes some parts that actually work.
    They are well through out and actually fit, not 3D printer plastic crap.

I don't want to dump on anything anyone else has, so I'll go over this as succinctly and factual as I can.

If you intend to do a lot of processing and/or loading, getting the press the correct height off the floor is a HUGE deal.
    It's also necessary for your health, to prevent long term repetitive damage to your body.

I personally don't care for stands, I find them awkward, and in some cases, they allow the press to rock.
    They ALWAYS raise the press off the table top, increasing the height, and giving even more leverage to the press over the table/bench.
    (Why do you think so many people attach their benches to the wall?)

After YEARS, and literally MILLONS of rounds, I spend a couple hundred bucks, build a dedicated bench that is specific, designed to support the press so the bench doesn't slap the wall, keeps press handle just below the ball of the shoulder, and doesn't make you lean forward at the bottom of the ram stroke.
    This is a work station that's specifically for the press and the support tools in reloading.

I also inset my presses into the bench top, no elbow or hip buster handles or press frames.
    By insetting the press, it's not cantilevered over the support sides (legs) in the front, and NOT hanging over the edge gives leverage to the bench, not the forces created by the press.
    Either you understand the forces involved as the handle runs through range of motion, or you don't, not much else to say here..

image_zpsfdtjlssm.jpg

-------------

The best press advise anyone will ever give you is LUBRICATE PROPERLY!

Use the correct lubricants, learn where they go, and I usually add to buy some 'Barricade' brand anti rust spray, and use it fairly liberally.
    Regular use will build up a good coat, and regular use will get the spots you miss.
    Nothing I've ever used works like Barricade, and I don't often recommend brand names unless they just flat out work better than expectations.

----------

When it comes to function, LEARN YOUR PRESS!
    I'll say this again, RUN THE PRESS BEFORE YOU ADD MUCH!

Start with instructions, run a few BRASS, then adjust, run a few more, etc.
    Learn where things like the screw is that centers the primers under YOUR shell plate is so you don't stuff a bunch of primers in sideways,
    Lean where the shell plate LOCK screw is for the shell plate bolt, so you don't screw up the threads on the shell plate bolt while adjusting for drag, etc.
    While the Dillon will usually run, it does need tuning, and the only way to get that right is to run the press & learn it.

Dillon can not possibly make all the little parts the aftermarket makes for volume processors/loaders, if they did, the press would be $5,000.

I find 'Snowshooz' products to be well made, reasonable priced, and work as advertised.
    I find the 3D printed plastic crap usually doesn't work, causes constant problems or doesn't work for long.

I have found the three most useful add on things for me...
    The roller bearing on the bottom of the indexing rod,
    On the right side of the press. About 3/8" in diameter, about 6" long, and has a point on the 'Down' end.
    This rod rubs on plastic, and gets worn, and wears the plastic quickly.
    More importantly, that roller bearing, with grease, smooths out the press quite a bit, takes some of the jerk out of the press.

The second thing was the under the left side of the press head, you will find a plastic cam ramp that contacts the press frames.
    This indexes the shell plate.
    A roller on that ramp both smooths the press out, and makes the plastic cam ring last a LOT longer.
    Replacing that ring means tearing the head off the ram & requires a optional timing/indexing pin you need to get from Dillon when you put it back together.

The third thing is a 'Goose Neck' oil can and a quart of non-detergent 30 weight motor oil.
    This is so you can reach into the press frame and lubricate the ram EASILY, this means you lubricate more often and the press runs smoother, and lasts longer.

If you are going to use the same powder charge thrower on more than one caliber, then look into 'Entirely Crimson' for a CANC machined aluminum quick release (about $20). It installs easily and works quite well.

A dead primer catch with hose to a jar, or garbage can in my case, is a big deal. There are several...
    Some guys get live primer ramp changes, but they often get in the way of seeing what's happening when you are learning.
    Keep in mind, the type with a bottle, so you DO NOT HANDLE primers is the best 'Upgrade'.
    No finger oil on the live primers.

------------

There are some things you don't need to buy that are popular,
    The 'Low Mass' detent ball and reduced pressure spring for one.
    Simply clip a half coil or one coil off the spring, and this is ONLY if you identify the detent ball as the source of shell plate 'Snap' that slings powder.
    Dillon will send you a free replacement if you screw it up...

I don't recommend the add on powder thrower knobs, they are usually a waste of time and money, particularly if they are press on plastic.
    There are a couple screw/knob replacements, one is from a camera shop on eBay, and they work well, but you have to be smart enough to take the factory Dillon bolt out and replace with the new one.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would agree a dedicated bench is a must. I really beefed up my bench top so there is zero flex and its bolted to the wall. All my ammo and lead is stored under acting as ballast. It's at the perfect height for me standing.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I consider it a 30 year investment, boxed sides & back so it's not wobbling & top twisting on 4 posts.
    On 4 posts, The more you use it, the looser it gets...
    When the bench doesn't fit YOU, the less you like to use it.

For accessories, I consider anything that will take wear/friction off the machine, and by extension give more consistent rounds.
    You can't predict friction load, and it becomes a variable in consistency.

Then I consider convenience...
    Spent primer catch, stuff like that.
    I'm not much on roller handles, particularly if you sit down while loading.
    I've seen a few cases of short stroking from 'Limp Wristing' the roller handle, get tired you roll the wrist instead of going full stroke.
    For the guys that are young, strong, standing and can pull the side out of a 5 gallon bucket, they work well! Some of us don't have that kind of strength anymore, and us crusty old guys do reload...

One of the best things most of us do is get extra tool heads, leave the dies set up.
    The Dillon allows for a pretty precise tool head/caliber change, and having the dies set up already saves at least a half hour, probably more...
    You don't have to buy the fancy stand to go with a new tool head, and the new tool head is worth it's price, particularly since Dillon die lock rings don't lock in place on the dies... (No set screws)

From Dillon, the Spare Parts Kit (about $30) is a HUGE deal!
    There is nothing more frustrating than having a snow or rain day, get the press lubed up & fed, a cup of coffee and ready to pull the handle a few hundred times and some small part breaks! :poop::poop:

While Dillon WILL replace it without complaint, it's a week for it to get to you from Dillon...
    Your day is shot, and if you are like me, that's AGGRAVATING to no end! :xmad:
    There is a reason I buy metal 'Add-Ons', instead of 3D printed, and I have a spare parts kit.
    It might be the OCD, it might be I allotted time for that particular action (which I enjoy watching the machines work), but it infuriates me!

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Powder Drops!

First off, a powder thrower is NOT a 'Powder Measurer'.
    Powder/Propellents are granular, and solids are WEIGHED, that's why you check your 'Throws' on a scale.
    Don't confuse a VOLUME thrower with a proper measurement, a scale.

Second, as the weight of the propellant changes in the feed bin, the amount of compaction in the charge bar IS going to change.
    Consistently full bin will throw the most consistent charges.
    There is no way the powder (solids) are going to fall into the charge bar EXACTLY the same way each & every time...

Nothing will generate more questions than power drops from a Dillon thrower!
    First & Foremost, LUBE THE THROWER.
    Half the cranky complaints can be seriously reduced by proper lube.
    A dragging/sticking thrower isn't going to be consistent unless it can function properly...

There are a few 'Tricks' you can do, depending on the powder being used.

One is to leave a wide mouth funnel in the top of the powder bin, keep the funnel full.
    This keeps consistent pressure on the powder column in the bin.
    When I'm getting down to the bottom of a can of propellant, and I don't want to open another, I have large/thick washers I taped together with a string attached, and I drop those on the powder in the bin to keep consistent pressure on the propellant.
    This actually worked quite well before I figured out the funnel trick and/or was running just a few rounds to use up the last of a can of propellant.

Damp, sticky powders HATE the Dillon thrower (and don't much like any charge thrower),
    A $5 cell phone vibrator motor off eBay taped to the powder bin will help with this issue.
    The constant vibration usually means you will need a bin baffle, but with a little search on the internet, you will find directions/drawings on making baffles out of soda cans.

The next thing is a baffle (duh) that fits the bin.
    They are free to make, pretty cheap to buy and easy to use.
    Some propellants greatly benefit from baffles, some not so much, but I have yet to see the baffle negatively affect the charge weight thrown.

Top Bottom