• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Empty the bowl and turn it upside down. The motor should be exposed on the bottom. See if you can do anything, it's broke already right?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Yes, it's fixable. If it's less than about 10 years old, I'd try to get in touch with RCBS. If older, I'd just try to figure it out myself.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I think it is less than 10 years old, but I got it second hand in like new condition. I'll take it apart and see if anything is amiss.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    To be clear, nothing electronic is warrantied for 10 years. But if it is that new, RCBS might have parts available.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Could be fixed??

Most of these are imports from you know where..

Usually the bearings (AKA CHEAP Bushings) wear out, letting the motor armature touch the field coils, and lock them up.

Sometimes you can "Fill in" the low spot on the bushing with whatever you can get to stick in the low spot=JB Weld, pop/beer can metal, or anything that you can get to center the shaft of the armature.

Some motors can be dis-assembled and bearings fitted to replace the bushings??, but is it worth it??==Your choice.

My choice==Dillon==I have the large (On the second motor) and the small model..BTW: The small model Dillon uses the same motor as the large model, and seems?? to last longer..

My Dillon tumblers have A LOT of hours on them..Bill.

PS: The Dillon tumblers DO use bearings on the motor shafts...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    All of the tumblers I've seen use a simple "shaded pole" motor with a weight that makes the whole thing out of balance. Because of the out of balance condition, the bearings fail.... All of those motors I've seen use standard skate board bearings (i.e. 608 zz)which you can get 10 for $10 on Amazon pretty easily. I rebuilt my Franklin Arsenal one several times. Just watch out in that the armature looks like it could be reversed, but if you do, then the motor doesn't have the ability to start spinning. (Don't ask me how I know :): )

--Rick

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Mine did too. A call to RCBS was a big NO. I priced one at a local motor shop. $40.00! Kids bought me a Dillon 750. OMG what a machine!

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I tried to repair a different brand. I assumed my decades in the electrical field would allow me to fix it. Wrong. The proprietary motor had worn through the sleeve bearing and bearing holder. The motor was welded and staked together and a new motor would cost as much as a new cleaner, especially when there are "like new" cleaners listed in the classifieds all the time. Toss it and get a new one.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    lol. just checked back on this. I got as far as taking to bowl off of it and got side tracked yesterday. I do have a dillon CV-2001 that i'm using now...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My older than 10yrs Cabelas one started making noise. I took it apart cleaned and lubed the bushings. Like brand new now.

I'm doing Dillon next time when this one completely dies.

Flip it and take it apart. Might be a simple fix or might have to toss it.

Top Bottom