• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    All, I have been using the commercial PPU 8x50R for my Berthier M-16 carbine as of late, but it seems the well has run dry at all the suppliers. I just bought a set of Lee dies and am looking for some suggestions for powder and projectiles from those of you that load for this oldie but goodie round. This will be my first adventure into realoading rifle rounds (I typically load 380ACP, 9mm, and 44 mag) so feel free to pass on any helpful hints that I may not encounter with the pistol rounds.

Thanks

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    All, I have been using the commercial PPU 8x50R for my Berthier M-16 carbine as of late, but it seems the well has run dry at all the suppliers. I just bought a set of Lee dies and am looking for some suggestions for powder and projectiles from those of you that load for this oldie but goodie round. This will be my first adventure into realoading rifle rounds (I typically load 380ACP, 9mm, and 44 mag) so feel free to pass on any helpful hints that I may not encounter with the pistol rounds.

Thanks

Get a few (33) more posts in+and I can talk to you about some 8X50L brass I may/may not have...Bill.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Grafs currently has brass in stock. I use IMR3031 in mine under a 185gr Remington CL. I don't recall where I found my charge weight so I am not posting it.

AmateurE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2017
    NWI
    Get a few (33) more posts in+and I can talk to you about some 8X50L brass I may/may not have...Bill.

Thanks for the heads-up on the brass that may or may not exist :), but given my meteoric run for 50 quality posts, it may be a while.

Bstewrat3 and Wolfhound, thanks for the nod towards IMR3031, that's the powder that seems most available and the one I was leaning towards. I don't have any other "big bore" guns, so I appreciate nailing an appropriate powder. Depending on the weight of the projectiles I buy, I'll work up a safe load.

I am just going to be punching paper. The PPU commercial stuff has a 200 grain spritzer, are the lighter bullets more accurate? Also, does it have to have a boat-tail?

AE

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Thanks for the heads-up on the brass that may or may not exist :), but given my meteoric run for 50 quality posts, it may be a while.

Bstewrat3 and Wolfhound, thanks for the nod towards IMR3031, that's the powder that seems most available and the one I was leaning towards. I don't have any other "big bore" guns, so I appreciate nailing an appropriate powder. Depending on the weight of the projectiles I buy, I'll work up a safe load.

I am just going to be punching paper. The PPU commercial stuff has a 200 grain spritzer, are the lighter bullets more accurate? Also, does it have to have a boat-tail?

AE

I have been using Hornady 150 grain SP .323 bullets with good results. I have noticed many use the heavier bullets and even some larger diameter bullets for their Berthiers. I load the 150 grain bullets with a low to mid powder charge and it makes for some manageable recoil. YMMV

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I am using Speer SP Hot Cor (#2285) 200 grain bullets (.323) with IMR 4895 powder. I got the load data from the Lee info included with the die set. I also did some research online. Chronographing the PPU ammo gives an average of 2031 ft/s. With my loads I am getting an average of 1920 ft/s. I don't have the Lee data in front of me so I don't how closely I followed their "suggestions". My rifle does have the "N" stamp.

Ron

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you haven't loaded for rifle cartridges before, only pistol rounds, be aware that instead of belling the case mouth for the bullets to seat cleanly, you will definitely want to chamfer the inside of the case mouth. This is especially important if you're loading flat-base bullets, as it allows them to slide into the case cleanly. Another potential difference is there is usually no need to crimp rifle bullets, unless you're firing them from a rifle with a tubular magazine.

Top Bottom