• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have zero issues with blems when loading general purpose ammo.

I would suggest a couple of flat plates specifically spaced, one for oversize, one for undersize.
    Anything way oversized gets caught in the first trap, the way undersized drops through the second trap.
    Anything caught by the second trap is good to go without further inspection (most times).

I shoot a LOT of factory belms, all my GP & blasting ammo is factory blems and they generally shoot just fine for this purpose.
    I buy mine in bulk bins, but if you want to buy smaller lots that's entirely up to you.

This would be a good group bulk buy (like our little group does), I get stuck with bulk bins because I have a fork truck & dock, but something the post office can deliver is easier, but less cost effective.

--------

I use a double orifice die set to gauge accuracy bullets.
    The first orifice is slightly oversize, allowing for tolerance +/- and catching anything well oversize.
    The bullet drops onto a second (almost) perfectly round die that's undersize.
    If the bullet stops, it's good to use, within +/- tolerance, if it makes it through both dies, it's too much undersized to use for accuracy loads and goes into the 'General Purpose' pile.
    Oversize needs a second gauge to see if it's too big to use altogether...

I use flat plates when sorting general bulk seconds, it doesn't catch out of round bullets like a round orifice die will, but it gives you a good idea if the bullet is significantly over or under sized, and it's easy to do since there a loads of flat plates out there for cheap...
    Machinist shim stock comes to mind right away... Bought by the foot in any thickness, sold at any machine tool or machinist shop.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I buy alot of their 200 and 220 gr blem OTM .308 bullets for loading .300 Blk subs. Even the worst of them still gave me good groups at the lower velocities. I bought some 55gr flat based cannelured OTM .224" (apparently Hornady now makes them, lol) and they are stellar. I would like to get more at the price I got them at (6.99/100!)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The blemished/factory second bullets Midway offers from time are usually from Hornady but a lot of these appear to be Sierra, hence the higher price.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Prices seem steep. I just picked up 4k 55grn jhp from a joint in KY for 3 bucks a hundred. Maybe I should sell them.

Top Bottom