• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've been wanting to find a decent "accuracy" load for my DDm4V11 Pro. Now, this is a "combat" sort of gun-- 5.56 chamber, 18" CHF instead of button or cut rifled, so forth. I started reloading last fall towards that goal (and of doing so at reduced cost).

Only recently have I had everything in place to sort of rule out most other factors. I now have a bipod, I finally have the optic situation sorted out (10x SWFA), and I'm no longer using mixed brass fired who knows how many times with varying case capacity and such.

Everyone knows that 77SMKs will shoot, as will Berger 75s or 77s. But those are pretty costly for a home gamer like me and if the Hornady ELD could be made to shoot at a 33% discount to those more expensive projectiles, then I can better afford that.

I started out with RL15 and thought I'd just try to find a good charge weight with that. But I've been hearing so much good about 8208 XBR that I bought a pound to try.

I worked up 5x5 (5rds, 5 charge weights) for each powder with each ending charge at book max or maybe a tenth or two over. I used 0.3gr increments.

Granted yesterday was a little less than ideal-- mild wind, pretty chilly in the shade. But RL15 simply wouldn't group with the 73ELDs. Nothing between 23.8gr and 25gr wanted to go under an inch at all at 50y. Best was around an inch, worst was more like 1.5"

Now, I'm NOT a great rifle shooter-- fair to middling on my best day. But even I could benefit from having accuracy better than 2 MOA.

Enter the 8208XBR loads.

First group was the bottom of my test range (21.8gr). I was expecting it to be pretty bad after I accidentally double tapped while shooting it (Geissele SD3G trigger).

What I got instead was this:
    gWFRm00.jpg

Hmm, right off the hop 8208 is shooting well inside of RL15.

The very next group?

t2MdSYR.jpg

Just like that, there it was. 22.1gr of 8208 and the 73ELD came alive. Granted, it's still 50y and hardly gilt edge accuracy. But all things considered-- the gun, the conditions, the idiot behind the trigger who can't avoid double taps--I'm more than a little happy with this result.

The rest of the loads above that in charge weight not only showed more dispersion, but also a POI shift. I have no idea where the next node is for 8208 in this gun, but I'm sure it's WAY over book as I was still getting ~1" (~2 moa at 50y) at two tenths above the Hornady max of 22.8gr.

DISCLAIMER: THESE WERE SAFE IN MY RIFLE. DO NOT EXCEED PUBLISHED MAXIMUMS.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Couple of years ago, I was very fortunate to pick up a Cooper 21 in .223 for a song. Looking through all my manuals to work up a load, and a lot of range work, it proved to be a winner with 55 gainers with the 12 twist. Different brands, the V-Max seemed to fit the bill, and different OAL kept getting the groups down to 3/4 groups and smaller. After spending several hours searching the Net for ideas, the number 8208 kept showing up. Some more testing and now using a powder that I had never used before was producing half inch groups at 100 yards. Last time I shot for groups, they were all in one hole. Patience is a virtue!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think I'm going to piddle with some OAL variations and explore a tenth of a grain heavier or lighter just to see what happens.

Also, I want to try some Bergers and see if they shoot better out of my rifle.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Update:

I did some confirmation testing today.

Half of my 5 shot groups were under half MOA at 100y. This is 22.1gr of 8208 pushing a 73ELD-m at mag length.

I also tested 75 gr ELDs way out at 2.5” OAL. Both RL15 groups were sub MOA at 100y.

However, the 75s loaded long with 8208 didn’t shoot nearly what the 73s were. I think I need to go way hotter on charge because that super long OAL really drops pressure. I need to go higher than 24.5gr RL15 with the long 75s.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    When I stepped up to a "real" (service) rifle for CMP matches I tryed several powders and after listing to the guys at Camp Perry I tryed 8208XBR and wow did my load come alive!!

A 50 yard group is a good indication, but do all your testing at the longest distance you will be shooting, I have seen great groups at 100 just fall apart at 200/300

73eld will shoot good out to 600 yards, I personally would not bother with the 75's load up a bunch of your 73's hit the range, shoot for groups a bit to confirm your zero, then practice your shooting.

I think you found a winner! And by the by 8208XBR works in my 308 and my 22-250

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Here's what the 8208 load did at 100y yesterday when I was shooting some confirmation checks and testing OAL variation:

fSbut0N.jpg

2.28 OAL was about .75MOA. 2.26 and 2.25 are half MOA loads in my rifle if I'm not screwing it up. Groups closing with more jump is not what I expected, but I'm not going to argue with half MOA from a gas gun with a 5.56 chamber!

I messed with 75 ELDs loaded really long (2.5") because my rifle will swallow a 75ELD at 2.52.

Here's that target:
    GaD5v1z.jpg

Now, the huge change in OAL certain dropped pressures a bunch. And what would be a warm load is suddenly way down on pressure because of the large case capacity increase.

To visualize that, I took a 75 ELD seated at 2.5" and marked the bullet with sharpie marker around the case mouth. I did the same for a 73 ELD at mag length.

Look at the difference in bullet below the mouth:
    TYEGWBC.jpg

The 24.5gr RL15 seemed like it was starting to come together, although both RL15 groups are sub-MOA if you measure. I suspect you need more like 25gr of RL15 to get it to where it's more consistent on burn. I only took 8208 up to 23.3gr, but I think there's a quite a bit of room to go higher. The 73 and 75 have about the same length engaged the rifling (source of friction) so if you ignore powder column effects, they'd run about the same pressure. That huge difference in bullet intrusion really affects pressure.

I'm willing to bet that the 75s come together quite nicely with some hotter loads to get the pressure back that's lost from being loaded so long. (Hornady recommends 2.39" so I'm quite a bit over that even).

That will have to wait for another day though. The 73s are shooting so nice at mag length, I see little reason to mess around with anything heavier for now.

Finally-- would you have ever guessed a CHF Daniel Defense 5.56 barrel could turn in groups that rival a stainless match barrel with a Wylde chamber? I sure didn't. A VERY nice surprise indeed.

I'd love to get this thing on a sturdy rest to rule out my shortcoming as a shooter and better see what the pure mechanical accuracy is. A bipod and beach towel just won't cut it.

Top Bottom