• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive always used a flip tray and stabbed my primers. maybe i'm just getting old and lazy, but ive been thinking about getting a primer filler...

i see a LOT of mixed reviews on the frankfort arsenal model, i could just "bite the bullet" and buy a dillon.

buuuut...
    that may be like "shooting myself in the foot", so to say.....

what says INGO?

:cheers:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have been using the Vibra prime since it was reintroduced. I ran a drill thru the primer drop hole to clean up some flashing that was left from manufacturing. The rest is technique like holding it at the proper angle. If a primer gets hung up in the hole a tap on the top of the handle while holding the trigger will clear it up. I hate picking up primers one at a time and have had great luck with the Vibra Prime.
    I also have the Dillon primer machine. I got it with a 1050 I bought used. Amazing engineering and works well also. Is it worth the money? IMO if the Vibra Prime didn't exist then yeah but the Vibra Prime at 10% of the cost is almost as good at huge discount.

The Dillon RF100 is like a dillon press and holds it's value well so if you didn't like it or had to quit reloading then you can recoup most of that investment.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I used a Dillon machine for a while when I was deciding to buy one or not...
    You had to adjust the top lid anytime you changed primer brands, and it could be REAL tempremental getting it adjusted.

I saw the guys recommend Frankfort and I never looked back.
    Took just a little 'Fiddling' to figure out the angle and how to get a Dillon tube to fill correctly, and I've been using it for 3-4 years with no issues.
    I'm considering buying the newer version because they are supposed to work even better.

At a $450 savings, I would consider it at the very least...

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have the frankfort primer filler and the dillon. The Dillon works better, the Frankfort works if you keep a tiny screwdriver handy to flip primers and unbind stuck ones. both are better than the stab method. I used the stab method for over 20 years and the difference is quantity. I had a square deal b and 5 or 6 primer tubes, I would fill them all up and by the time i had emptied them I had reloaded long enough for that day. When you jump up to the Dillon 650 then you need to spend time reloading not filling tubes. So I set the dillon to work on a bench behind me and when I need primers I just grab them and start another box. When everything is going well it's pretty much a constant cycle of primers, reloads, filling brass hoppers, Ect.

Steel matches in the summer really tax my ability to reload enough to keep up when Me and My son are both shooting PCC and pistol. Every match is hundreds of rounds

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've got a FA Vibraprime, and although I got it working so that it fills tubes pretty quickly, I was seeing about 2% of the primers ending upside down. My press is a Hornady and using their pickup tubes is MUCH harder than the Dillon pickup tubes so I've just picked up an assortment of the Dillon tubes. I've got 4 available tubes for each primer size so I can stab the 1st 100 primers and put in the press, then stab another 400 primers before I pull the press handle the first time. At that point, I've got about an hour of solid loading before I have to stab primers again.

If you are near Lafayette, I'd let you borrow or try my vibraprime to see if you like or hate it.
    --Rick

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I had heard of folk having issues with the Vibra-Prime, and I was very leery to buy one, but finally did so last year after getting tired of hunting and pecking.

Best investment I ever made! I was prepared to file/sand/Dremmel any rough spots, but as it turns out, mine did not need any work, and honestly, with some technique practice, I NEVER get any upside-down primers. SPP's work perfectly, but I do notice that sometimes the LPP's do get clogged, and definitely DON'T WORK AS WELL as the SPP's.

I load up 10 tubes at a time (1,000 primers) before a reloading session, and it takes me less than 10 minutes start to finish, and it actually kinda fun compared to the stab method.

As I have said before in this forum, if mine breaks, I would buy a new one before the day ends.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I purchase the Hornady 1911 primer filler....Piece of Junk!!!! The purchased the Franford Arsenal which was ok. Save yourself the money and buy the Dillon! Wished i would have bought one 10 years ago!

44fire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I found some plans on line of a 3D printed primer filler using a $7 speed controller, $4 vibration motor and a 9 volt battery. My son has a printer so time permitting I'm going to try and get him to print the pieces and try to put it together by the weekend.

44fire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I thought it would be cool to build. My son got a 3D printer for Christmas and we have had fun coming up with several new parts to simplify some things with reloading and other projects.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    well i picked up a vibra prime yesterday.
    to me it's not the greatest purchase ive ever made. it does seem to work a lot better with SPP than with LPP,

i did get it to "work" after figuring out the proper angle to hold it at.
    not sure if it's that much faster, but, it is a little more convenient. after loading up 4 or 5 primer tubes i was staring to get the hang of it.
    i'm gonna keep it and keep playing with it.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    well i picked up a vibra prime yesterday.
    to me it's not the greatest purchase ive ever made. it does seem to work a lot better with SPP than with LPP,

i did get it to "work" after figuring out the proper angle to hold it at.
    not sure if it's that much faster, but, it is a little more convenient. after loading up 4 or 5 primer tubes i was staring to get the hang of it.
    i'm gonna keep it and keep playing with it.

It does take some time to get the hang of it for sure. Stick with it and post back and let us know if we can help offer any advice.

Top Bottom