• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am interested in buying a chronograph, but not spending a bunch of money at this time. If I enjoy it more than just looking at numbers I will upgrade to a LabRadar or MagnetoSpeed. I only reload 6.5Grendel, 40S&W, and 45ACP, but that will grow over time I'm sure. Starting out I think I can purchase something in the $100-$150 range and not be out that much if it isn't for me.

Just looking at online reviews, there are a couple that seem to do well in that price range.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/306796/shooting-chrony-alpha-master-chronograph
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628006/caldwell-ballistic-precision-chronograph-premium-kit

Out of these 3 I am leaning towards the first one as my top pick. I'd ideally like to pair up an IPhone or at least be able to download the data to a computer. What does INGO recommend? All opinions are welcome on other models as well!

Edit: This will be used outside at my house, so time setting up or indoor lighting should not be a problem.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Any of the three should be fine.

If I'm reading correctly, your "top pick" C.E. model will require optional accessories to connect to your phone which will increase it's cost so figure that in as well.

I have a 20+ year old Shooting Chrony Beta master and it has always worked for me.

I bought a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chrono a couple of years ago and it is gtg as well. You linked to the "Premium Kit" version but won't need the light kit it comes with unless you want to use it at night or inside under fluorescent lights. You can save a few $ by not getting the kit with light.

I would recommend getting one that has a remote display such as the second two you selected.

I lean toward my Caldwell with the info displayed on my android phone but I don't think you will see much difference between the three brands.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Any of the three should be fine.

If I'm reading correctly, your "top pick" C.E. model will require optional accessories to connect to your phone which will increase it's cost so figure that in as well.

I have a 20+ year old Shooting Chrony Beta master and it has always worked for me.

I bought a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chrono a couple of years ago and it is gtg as well. You linked to the "Premium Kit" version but won't need the light kit it comes with unless you want to use it at night or inside under fluorescent lights. You can save a few $ by not getting the kit with light.

I would recommend getting one that has a remote display such as the second two you selected.

I lean toward my Caldwell with the info displayed on my android phone but I don't think you will see much difference between the three brands.

Good to hear. I have pretty much settled on a Caldwell or a Competition Electronics, but am leaning towards the latter. I’ve switched my focus onto the DLX model which is Bluetooth compatible and presents a nice app on my iPhone. It is only $10-$15 more, but much more user friendly. I was really hoping to get a little more feedback. Looks like I’ll be doing some more research. Thanks gmcttr!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i have a shooting chrony F1 thats probably 20 years old.
    no bluetooth/wireless connection it's always done what i needed it to do.
    seems like it was under $100 at the time.

:cheers:

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I have the Caldwell as well. I have two sets of wires. One that came with machine and another that was sent to me for free after contacting the company. I use whichever one works better with my current phone (I recently upgraded phone and now use a different connection). The chrono works very well for all my needs (bow arrows - fastest rifle cartridges).

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    I have the Competition Electronics with BT adapter. Very nice unit. It lets you fill in all your reloading info on the app, so you can keep track of each sting etc on you phone. Comes in handy when you run multiple stings to work up a load.

The BT unit will forward you shot stings to the app on you phone/tablet, and calculates
    • power factor
    • fps, ft/lbs
    • number of shots
    • averages all shots fps
    • extreme spread
    • standard deviation etc.

In conclusion if my unit broke Id definitely buy again!

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have the Competition Electronics with BT adapter. Very nice unit. It lets you fill in all your reloading info on the app, so you can keep track of each sting etc on you phone. Comes in handy when you run multiple stings to work up a load.

The BT unit will forward you shot stings to the app on you phone/tablet, and calculates
    • power factor
    • fps, ft/lbs
    • number of shots
    • averages all shots fps
    • extreme spread
    • standard deviation etc.

In conclusion if my unit broke Id definitely buy again!

Appreciate it Papa! I'm just looking for the best prices now. I think I have settled on the Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/988434/competition-electronics-prochrono-dlx-chronograph

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Ah I'm a little jealous. They did not have the all in one deluxe version when I bought mine. In any case it's a good unit. Hope it works for you.

Top Bottom