• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I put together a handful of .357 Mag reloads that are at the minimum published range for a 125g XTP that have a predicted crono velocity of 1881fps. I pulled the load from one of my reloading manuals and it’s a 21.0g compressed load of H110.

I double checked on Hogdon’s website and see the same load published there as well. The thing I wonder about is that using QuickLoad, it shows this reload as way over spec with a max psi well into the 40k range. I’ve read that SAAMI reduced the spec from about 43k to 35k in the ‘90s yet these loads are still listed in several locations.

Anyone running .357 at this level? If so, any issues?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I see that Underwood is running the 125g XTP at about 1700fps. The load that I did put together is the minimum load for H110. The max 22.0 compressed load is published at 1996 FPS, but no real info on what that was through.

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Quickload data is ball park computer generated guesstimates, to calibrate Quickload you need a chronograph and adjust the burn rate in Quickload until it matches your chronograph velocity. Meaning every firearm and load must be adjusted with a chronograph to calibrate Quickload.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Quickload data is ball park computer generated guesstimates, to calibrate Quickload you need a chronograph and adjust the burn rate in Quickload until it matches your chronograph velocity. Meaning every firearm and load must be adjusted with a chronograph to calibrate Quickload.

Three of us that shoot together use Quickload, none of us have ever adjusted with a chrono or Labradar, and both are available to use. We have always entered as much data that is available and we all agree that it has saved a massive amount of time at the bench shooting ladders and group tests.
    Its great when loading a new wildcat or a new round on the market and you can see how the powders you have on hand will preform with the cartridge.
    Other than a high end powder measure its one of the best reloading tools the home reloader can buy.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    My Lyman 50th shows the Hornady JHP but not the XTP. They do show the same oal as the Hodgdon data for the XTP at 1.590".
    Lyman's data: H110 21.0gr....1357fps...33,500cup
    22.0gr....1506fps...42,600cup....this is a compressed load

Lyman used a 4' barrel compared to Hodgdon's 10" but their load data still seems miles apart velocity wise.....:dunno:

Also found this copy of the Loadbooks for 357mag....http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Man...plete Reloading Manual for the 357 Magnum.pdf

Not sure of what edition this is but the Hodgdon data..page 78... is the same as their website.

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    forget the book. What does the brass, barrel, cylinder, and primer tell you?

Read the signs and go from there.
    If the primers are flattening, STOP!
    If the brass is splitting, STOP!
    If the barrel is fouling, STOP!
    If the cylinder starts to bind or you get stuck cases, STOP!

I've cranked out some insane 110r loads clocking in at 1900fps before I started getting flat primers and stuck cases. I backed off, didn't want to test how strong a GP100 really is!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. I have not shot this load yet and was just looking to see what others experience might be. The book I pulled that load from is Richard Lee’s ‘Modern Reloading 2nd ed.’. I’ve had good luck with loads from that book in most areas but also use the Lyman 49th edition as well.

I’ve become a big fan of QuickLoad and have spent a bunch of cold winter nights playing with different loads to optimize them for a specific barrel length or use. It’s a lot of fun to find something that looks like it would work, cross check with published sources and then run it over a chrono to see how it performs.

I do need to update the software though, but the vendor has an odd requirement to send a photo of the original disk broken or something like that. I do wish that they’d just offer data updates like most other companies have done since the 1990s on programs that rely on data tables.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think you should take a look at the stats on Alliant's new magnum handgun powder, 300-MP.

It was designed from the ground up to have high fill density and produce maximum speed at a little lower pressure in these cartridges.

I run the 158 Nosler half jacket HP at 18.3 grains in a 6" Colt, and it is one helluva a stompin pistola.

Try a pound.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I use H110 and the load data from Hodgon website 21.0 grs. No issues in my Dan Wesson, Smith and Wesson or my Rossi 357 Mag Rifle. Remington 125 HP Bullets.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Why beat the daylights out of the gun, the brass and yourself? Back off a little bit on the power and strive to get shootability and accuracy and consistency in the reloads. Best of luck!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Seriously? Why beat the daylights out of the gun, the brass and yourself? Back off a little bit on the power and strive to get shootability and accuracy and consistency in the reloads. Best of luck!

Because if I wanted to shoot .38, I would LOAD .38.

It's a full house cartridge in a full house revolver, and I use quality NEW brass with excellent tooling. I don't give the first sh@* about tearing up the brass in a few firings either.

Loading for accuracy is final in my way of doing things. The load I listed, while hot-ish but not max, is a 5-6" load at 100 yards.

If that's not accurate enough, buddy, you need a rifle or a Feinwerkbau.

I've started to understand that there are as many reasons people reload as there are people doing it, and provided they don't endanger me with their version, I guess I don't care. I, for example, load everything from powder puff target loads through barrel burning 1,000 yard ammo and these .357 rounds. My motivations for each round I load vary on my purpose for said round.

The "Magnum" needs to be just that.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Go ahead and back off on H110 and let know how it works out for you. So loading to specs is beating up your gun :rolleyes:

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    You should never back off a min load of H 110/Win 296. If you do you can get squibs. It is a magnum only powder.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When the Desert Eagle first arrived in .357 back in the early 80s, Kent Lomont and I made some serious loads using pulled 9mm bullets. I won't give out the data, but we had to pack the powder down into the case with a dowel, then add more and compress the whole lot. The bullets went through hot rolled steel 3/8" thick at 25 yards. Sounds crazy, but you had to know Kent.;)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    1981; used jacketed 125 grainers and 296 in a '92 for jack rabbits.
    Golly gosh what a photon torpedo! When you missed the soil explosion redirected the running jack like a bouncing ball.

Unless for cotton tails (.38 Spl wadcutters, 4" Security Six), in .357 revolvers I pretty much stuck to heavy cast with gas checks. One time I went heavy Bluedot wild with 110 jacketed hollow points and exploded a skunk.
    Once.:n00b:

Maybe the two best bullets were a bore rider mold made to fit the carbon steel Security Six rifling pattern and a 190 grain by LBT to fit the Black Hawk (hand rifle).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    forget the book. What does the brass, barrel, cylinder, and primer tell you?

Read the signs and go from there.
    If the primers are flattening, STOP!
    If the brass is splitting, STOP!
    If the barrel is fouling, STOP!
    If the cylinder starts to bind or you get stuck cases, STOP!

I've cranked out some insane 110r loads clocking in at 1900fps before I started getting flat primers and stuck cases. I backed off, didn't want to test how strong a GP100 really is!

Thinking that you can "Read" your brass and gun and such for pressure signs is a bit misleading in some (not all) cases. The max charges are set to account for variation and such. Many calibers won't give you visible pressure signs until you are WELL into dangerous territory.

I'm not one to say that even a tiny bit above book is instant death. But at the same time, thinking that you will be able to see warning signs before you're into any risk and can ignore being a grain or two over book is a recipe for disaster.

In other words, by the time you see signs, you're already a good bit over pressure.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Because if I wanted to shoot .38, I would LOAD .38.

It's a full house cartridge in a full house revolver, and I use quality NEW brass with excellent tooling. I don't give the first sh@* about tearing up the brass in a few firings either.

Loading for accuracy is final in my way of doing things. The load I listed, while hot-ish but not max, is a 5-6" load at 100 yards.

If that's not accurate enough, buddy, you need a rifle or a Feinwerkbau.

I've started to understand that there are as many reasons people reload as there are people doing it, and provided they don't endanger me with their version, I guess I don't care. I, for example, load everything from powder puff target loads through barrel burning 1,000 yard ammo and these .357 rounds. My motivations for each round I load vary on my purpose for said round.

The "Magnum" needs to be just that.
    I, too, reload everything from .38 target loads to .357 Magnum to .44 Magnum to high power rifle. I’ve just found that depending on the requirement of the situation sometimes full blown Magnum loads are not necessary. I like to shoot powerful loads too, and enjoy the challenge of hitting steels at 100 yards. As for your Feinwerkbau comment, chill out.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think you should take a look at the stats on Alliant's new magnum handgun powder, 300-MP.

It was designed from the ground up to have high fill density and produce maximum speed at a little lower pressure in these cartridges.

I run the 158 Nosler half jacket HP at 18.3 grains in a 6" Colt, and it is one helluva a stompin pistola.

Try a pound.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

I’ll take a look.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I ran a couple on Friday and there were no signs of issues with the brass, so I put a box full together last night. Ran about half the box (48 rounds) this morning and it think it’s a keeper for a nice, hot 125g XTP Magnum load. First round was a dead center bullseye at 7 yards. 2nd round made the hole a bit bigger. Third round was a bit bigger yet. Then I got excited and opened the group up to about 2 inches.

The S&W 581 likes this round. It does not have much recoil but does put out a large muzzle flash. Not something that I’d use for SD, but it is a nice round for range use.

BTW, this is not a maxed out load. It is the minimum load for .357 Mag using H110 and a 125g XTP hollow point. It’s advertised velocity is 1881 through a 10” barrel. I’ll have to run it across my chrono to see what the 4.5” barrel is doing.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice fellas.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    As for your Feinwerkbau comment, chill out.

Totally chill.

But if we're jousting now (which was not my intent ?!), then I'll point out that nobody that needed to chill out EVER chilled after being told to do so.

I'm just direct; some would say blunt like a spoon.

I disagreed with your thoughts and tone. I told you so with factual data to support my position, seemingly counter to your own, that full house loads can be extemely accurate, and used safely in firearms designed for them.

The reference to FWB Free Pistols was more for fun than anything...they just happen to be the most accurate pistola I know of short of BR.

I just re-read your first comment, and it still sounds like you were basically completely against loading in 'powerful' fashion as your SECOND post says that you do.

The guy posted 'High end...' right in the title, so we all answered as such.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom