• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just ordered some of the Federal Syntech coated-bullet cartridges (124 gr. 9mm). These are the "official ammo of USPSA", and I have wanted to try them for awhile just to see what the fuss is all about.

They are on sale at MidwayUSA for $11.69 for a box of 50 (.23 per round). *Way* too pricey for my blood for anything permanent, but I keep putting off trying them due to the price. I finally ordered a few boxes just to try out.

Has anyone else tried these? Any benefits over good old-fashioned handloaded coated-bullet rounds? They talk about polymer coating and clean-burning powder, etc. I wonder how close they would be to something like coated Black Bullets under CFE Pistol or something similar?

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/american-eagle-syntech/ae9sj2

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd imagine its similar. I've never tried the coated bullets, I don't get to shoot enough handgun for any cleanliness difference to be an issue.

I'd think you could get close enough with hand loaded coated bullets and a clean powder.

I'm coming to appreciate the virtues of fast-ish powders. When you give up a little MV, you get substantially less recoil and a cleaner gun to boot in most cases.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The Syntech Action Pistol 9mm is 150gr. The Syntech 124gr is good ammo but does not have the same specs.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol
    [h=1]SYNTECH ACTION PISTOL[/h]
    [FONT=&quot]Part #: AE9SJAP1
    [COLOR=black !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]

[/FONT]

[COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]4.4[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important] (5)[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Write a review[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [FONT=&quot]Shooters who compete at the highest levels need ammunition built for the demands of their discipline. Syntech® Action Pistol is specifically designed for the action shooting sports and loaded to power factor requirements with heavy, flatter-nosed bullets for more reliable knock-downs on steel targets in competition. Like all Syntech loads, they feature the exclusive Total Synthetic Jacket (TSJ™), which prevents metal-on-metal contact between the bullet and barrel, eliminating copper and lead fouling as well as reducing damaging heat and friction. Combined with clean-burning powders and the Catalyst™ lead-free primer, Syntech Action Pistol provides the softest-shooting and most reliable performance possible for high-volume competitive shooters.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    • Caliber: 9mm Luger
    • Bullet Weight (grains): 150
    • Bullet Style: Syntech Jacket FN
    • Muzzle Velocity: 870
    • Ballistic Coefficient: 0.092
    • Package Quantity: 50
    • Use: Competition
    [/FONT]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    9mm Syntech 150gr was all I used shooting steel challenge matches at my local club this past season.

I got carried away buying them when Brownells had them on sale with coupon discounts as well and have several thousand on hand.

I really liked them in my CZ Shadow 2 but will have to admit that I have barely run anything else through that pistol as a comparison.

I see no reason similar handloads wouldn't be as good.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    I bought a case with rebate a while back. Pretty much unimpressed after all the hype. Id never buy again unluess cheaper than competition.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The Syntech Action Pistol 9mm is 150gr. The Syntech 124gr is good ammo but does not have the same specs.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol
    SYNTECH ACTION PISTOL

[FONT=&amp]Part #: AE9SJAP1
    [COLOR=black !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Dang! Foiled again!!!

Haha!!! Here I have been putting off trying it for so long due to the price, then I find some on sale, and end up buying the wrong ammo! I love it!

Now I need to go looking for some of the 150 gr. Action Pistol ammo...

EDIT: OK, I just ordered some of the correct ammo... Oh well, it's only money, right??? :( Now I guess I will have both types to compare...

Thanks for pointing that out BTW.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Dang! Foiled again!!!

Haha!!! Here I have been putting off trying it for so long due to the price, then I find some on sale, and end up buying the wrong ammo! I love it!

Now I need to go looking for some of the 150 gr. Action Pistol ammo...

EDIT: OK, I just ordered some of the correct ammo... Oh well, it's only money, right??? :( Now I guess I will have both types to compare...

Thanks for pointing that out BTW.

I think the 150gr are the softest I've ever shot. Let us know how you like them.

Top Bottom