Ammo comparisons for self-defense vs. plinking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I shoot 115 gn. Hornady Critical Defense 9mm. At just under $1/round, it's burning through my ammo budget. Does anyone publish a comparison list with plinking vs. self defense ammo?

My major motivations are felt recoil and generalized accuracy.

I am under the impression that factory 9mm is too inexpensive to consider reloading, but maybe I'll have to change my line of thinking.

What is comparable to 115 gn Critical Defense, either commercial or reloads?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There are several others that load the XTP Hornady bullet in their SD loads. I think Fiocchi is one.

Another option. You might try the Winchester Train and Defend. It has a FMJ load that is supposed to have the same profile, weight and velocity as the hollow point bullet in it's SD load. Here's the catch. It's only in 147 gr (I think). Which isn't a bad thing. Personally, I think 115 gr is too light for 9mm. It tends to not penetrate deep enough. This is backed up by several people who study real life results.

I carry 147 gr for SD. I know where it shoots out of each of my carry guns. But I shoot 115 for plinking and competition. From my XDs and XDm, the recoil is insignificant to me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The 115gr Critical Defense is on the low end of modern ammunition, it's not barrier blind and even in ideal conditions barely makes minimum penetration requirements. Unless you have some compelling reason that you can't shoot 124gr or 147gr 9mm, I'd strongly recommend stepping up to one of the multitude of better choices out there.

Speer Lawman seems to replicate the same weight HST cartridge very closely. You'll probably find the HST to also be cheaper, while gaining a nice boost in terminal ballistics.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The 115gr Critical Defense is on the low end of modern ammunition, it's not barrier blind and even in ideal conditions barely makes minimum penetration requirements. Unless you have some compelling reason that you can't shoot 124gr or 147gr 9mm, I'd strongly recommend stepping up to one of the multitude of better choices out there.

Speer Lawman seems to replicate the same weight HST cartridge very closely. You'll probably find the HST to also be cheaper, while gaining a nice boost in terminal ballistics.
    That is the exact combination I settled on. I shoot 147gr HST and 147 Speer for practice. It "feels" the closest to the HST when I shoot it of all the practice ammo I have tried.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I shoot Q4318 124gr. NATO at the range, and carry 124+p Gold Dot. I haven’t seen comparison data between the two, but poa/poi is t very far off, along with little difference in felt recoil. I got a smokin deal on the Win, so bought a few thousand, and got 1000 of the 124 GD for a decent price before Speer and everyone else restricted the sale of 50rd boxes to LE only!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Plinking ammo is generally the same cost to load as to buy. For me, I can barely TIE the cost of buying if I'm using range pickup brass I got for < 3 cents a case.

Defensive ammo, you will save a ton. Buying XTP loaded ammo for buck a shot vs loading your own for 55 cents each.

I prefer my JHP defensive loads to be loaded on the weaker side because all the data I've seen suggests that more velocity means less penetration (the JHP expands a lot more). So I'd use a non +P version of the quality loads, or I'd use a lower expansion bullet (like an XTP).

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

What are you're thoughts on Hornady 115gr XTP vs 'critical defense'? I'm using 124gr HST in my P320 but am under the impression that in micro compacts, using heavier than 115gr will accelerate wear (mine is a Kahr CM9). Thoughts?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What are you're thoughts on Hornady 115gr XTP vs 'critical defense'? I'm using 124gr HST in my P320 but am under the impression that in micro compacts, using heavier than 115gr will accelerate wear (mine is a Kahr CM9). Thoughts?

Sorry, I don't have any experience with or know of any "official" testing of the 115gr XTP.

Does Kahr recommend 115gr? I can't imagine there'd be enough difference in wear on the gun to be worried about. If it concerns you, perhaps just increase the frequency of recoil spring replacement? I use 147gr in my Shield, and while it's still relative low round count I haven't seen any signs of abnormal wear.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with or know of any "official" testing of the 115gr XTP.

Does Kahr recommend 115gr? I can't imagine there'd be enough difference in wear on the gun to be worried about. If it concerns you, perhaps just increase the frequency of recoil spring replacement? I use 147gr in my Shield, and while it's still relative low round count I haven't seen any signs of abnormal wear.
    Thanks for your insight and reminder about the recoil spring.

Kahr only says not to use reloads, surplus, or ammo "designed for shoulder fired weapons". Vague lawyer-talk to me. I didn't know that 9mm standard pressure 115gr FMJ wasn't designed to be fired in pistol caliber carbines. Maybe that means no +P ++P? Nothing said about bullet weight.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for your insight and reminder about the recoil spring.

Kahr only says not to use reloads, surplus, or ammo "designed for shoulder fired weapons". Vague lawyer-talk to me. I didn't know that 9mm standard pressure 115gr FMJ wasn't designed to be fired in pistol caliber carbines. Maybe that means no +P ++P? Nothing said about bullet weight.

I shoot Federal 147gr HST's out of both of my Kahr CM9's and now in my Sig P365. No problems. Slightly more recoil. I stopped using 115gr Critical defense when I had to put my cancer filled Beagle down, and there was no exit wound shooting straight down through the top of his skull! That is not very much penetration in my book. I stocked up on the HST's at $17.95 per box of 50. That's 50 rounds for less the the price of 25 Hornadys.

Top Bottom