Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

I'm with Hohn,
    After you learn how to make a round,
    It's not a question of making 'Blasting' ammo.

Blasting ammo, surplus, import, white box, just isn't that expensive, and I personally don't expect it to be very consistent.
    It *Mostly* loads, it *Mostly* goes 'BANG', it mostly goes 'More Or Less' where it was pointed...
    And, 'Blaster' shooters don't expect anything past the 'BANG' anyway, so it 'Works' for them.
    There is also a time savings with blasting ammo, I didn't spend hours collecting supplies, setting up, cleaning brass, sizing, loading etc.

When I crank out rounds, its a LOT of work, even if it's a 'Hobby' there is considerable time involved.

Bullets that don't make the grade, brass that isn't junk, but doesn't quite make the grade for match ammo, primers & powder that didn't quite work out in a bench or match rifle, I make 'Blasting' ammo out of those.
    Not everyone weighs or sizes every bullet, not everyone rejects cases with rim gouges or dents. The guys that shoot speed guns, match guns or bench guns don't want ANY chance they will have a failure to feed, and long range accuracy shooters don't want off spec weight or out of round bullets...

When I get a pile of these I use the powder/primers that didn't work out for something else, or powder/primers off the discount rack, and load up some blasting ammo.
    The blasters that show up don't know the difference, they go through 100 rounds before they ever bother to address the sights!
    With most of them, the safest place to be is in front of the target

I get super premium ammo, better than the $1.50 to $3 a round stuff off the shelf, and the blasters get exactly what they expected.
    The 'Blasting' components are just the cost of culling for premium, super consistent ammo, and it's otherwise waste.
    They get grins you can't slap off their faces, they are proud of hitting a 100 yard, 15" target half a dozen times with a 30 round mag, and someone that does use sights can still knock the heart out of a deer at 100 yards, so it's a win/win.

Not everyone knows how to put 5 or 10 rounds under a dime at 100 yards, or hit a 10" Target at 1,000 yards, and would get bored quickly if you tried to get them to do the testing to achieve those hits...
    They are stupid happy with hosing down things, making a lot of noise and 'Looking Cool', and I'm fine with that, no issues at all.
    If it puts a smile on their faces I'm just as happy about it as they are! Good times had by all...

--------

I'm also with the guy saying it's something to hand down!
    My dad wouldn't touch a reloading press, but my Grandpa reloaded and got me started.
    Sitting around the shop shooting the bull with Grandpa, cranking out some reloads, Grandpa treating me like an adult & equal when I cranked out perfectly acceptable rounds...
    Those are fond memories for me, and the mechanical skills I gained, with reloading and other projects, have served me well my entire life.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger333 View Post
    I found my deal. Ended up with a preowned but never used Dillon 550c that came with Lee 45 acp dies. Paid $350. I bought a Hornady manual, used digital scale, primer tray,tumbler with separator, lube, 500 coated bullets, 1000 primers, and a jar of power for another $325. I have what I need to get started.
    Thats the best way to get started... We picked up both our Horn APs used. 1st one- the guy needed the dough. Barely used, 223, 9mm, 45acp dies, accessories, etc. 2nd, the guy was moving due to a new job. Didn't want to take his reloading rig. Dies, accessories, etc. again. These both included various powders, primers, etc. Now we have extra dies, dual tumblers, scales, etc.

Welcome to the club, Brother.

And BTW, you're not going to save any $, its a myth... you'll just shoot more...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitsandGravy View Post

And BTW, you're not going to save any $, its a myth... you'll just shoot more...
    Truth right here^^
    "Courage is Being Scared to Death, but Saddling up Anyway" - John Wayne

User Info Menu

Question The Chicken or the Egg???

The question for me is=Do I load so I can shoot more-Or-Do I shoot so that I can load more??

For ME, that's a tough one...HA. HA....Bill.
    "It's more important to have a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone".

NRA Life Member since 1976+Outdoor Sportsman

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billybob44 View Post
    The question for me is=Do I load so I can shoot more-Or-Do I shoot so that I can load more??

For ME, that's a tough one...HA. HA....Bill.
    My stepson got me in trouble with this one. I told him we needed to get to the range and shoot so I could make up more bullets. He later told my wife what I said! I told her that it could be worse. Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I am new to this forum, but, not new to reloading.
    I don't reload, simply to save money.
    I do, but, the main reason I reload is so that, in an ammo shortage, or a time when alot is needed for whatever reason, I can produce my own in quantities that allow me to defend myself, and my family, if needed.
    I don't stockpile alot of ammo, but, I do have the components to produce several thousand rounds of the calibers I need, and use.

User Info Menu

so true
    i can thing of a lot "worse" things to sped money on...

i eat, sleep (sometimes) work, poop and shoot USPSA and steel competitions.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Been there....

Quote Originally Posted by pgreene78 View Post
    My stepson got me in trouble with this one. I told him we needed to get to the range and shoot so I could make up more bullets. He later told my wife what I said! I told her that it could be worse. Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!
    Rather than reloading in the basement of our house, I could be hanging out at the bars!!
    ^^^I CAN tell you that the basement hobby will keep the Wife A LOT Happier...Bill..

Expert

User Info Menu

Cost Of Reloading?

How much can you beg, borrow or steal?

Some of us have 'Issues'...
    There should be a 'Reloaders Anonymous',

"Hi, My name is Aaron, and I'm a Reloading Addict"...

Because of Reloading I don't have money for drugs or alcohol problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    Cost Of Reloading?

How much can you beg, borrow or steal?

Some of us have 'Issues'...
    There should be a 'Reloaders Anonymous',

"Hi, My name is Aaron, and I'm a Reloading Addict"...

Because of Reloading I don't have money for drugs or alcohol problems.

Yep, check below my screen name..Been there for awhile...Bill.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast