• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    What is the average cost per round to load 9mm plated target ammo? With the cost of manufactured target ammo averaging around $10 a box of 50 rounds. Is it worth getting into reloading? I have seen used progressive presses with all the equipment needed to start for around 300 - 500 dollars.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I collect my own brass.
    7-8 cents per bullet, 2-3 cents primer, 2 cents powder = $0.12/rd

It's not the cost of the ammo, it's the idea of IF Necessary, I can turn up 5000 rounds of 9mm overnight, makes me feel good.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I haven't been loading 9mm in about a year now as its just not very cost effective at the moment, but there are lots of calibers where it is.
    I save a ton by loading 380, 308, and 6.5 grendel. I save a little loading 223 and 45acp.
    With being able to find 9mm in bulk for .14 per round ive just been buying it and stockpiling the brass

I don't think i would bother "getting into" reloading at the moment if all your going to load is 9mm. Just stockpile the brass and next time prices spike, which at some point they will, then get into it. If you have other calibers to reload the equipment will pay for itself much quicker however.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I have 380, 45 223 and 12 gauge that I shoot occasionally but I go through a lot of 9mm and am getting a nice stockpile of spent brass. I try to go to the range at least once a week and shoot. If I had the equipment to reload I would probably shoot the other calibers more often.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I consider my 9mm brass as free since I've picked up so much in the last few years from the range. When the next gun scare happens it will become cost effective again. I have a decent supply of my own product to last a while.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have 380, 45 223 and 12 gauge that I shoot occasionally but I go through a lot of 9mm and am getting a nice stockpile of spent brass. I try to go to the range at least once a week and shoot. If I had the equipment to reload I would probably shoot the other calibers more often.

Reloading 380 will probably have the most significant cost savings in my opinion. Extremely difficult to find 380 ammo under .25 per round for factory ammo. I can load 380 for .09-.10 per round and loading flat point, round nose, or hollow points the spread in cost isnt much different. Buy your bullets in bulk, if you decide to reload, and that helps a bunch

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I collect my own brass.
    7-8 cents per bullet, 2-3 cents primer, 2 cents powder = $0.12/rd

It's not the cost of the ammo, it's the idea of IF Necessary, I can turn up 5000 rounds of 9mm overnight, makes me feel good.
    Agreed, and I think you get more knowledge of the process and your own particular firearms by reloading.

That last part is reason enough to keep your eye out for a good deal on a starter press be it a single stage or a 3-4 hole Lee press. There were a few like that on here a few weeks ago.It's not just the cost savings. YOU get to decide when to buy and when to roll your own.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Lee 125 grain RNFP works pretty well for most of my 9mm, 38 ACP, and various similar calibers. With a 6 cavity mold I can produce quite a few bullets.

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Makes sense to me. Not long after I started getting into firearms is when it started getting hard to find ammo of any caliber. I was buying reloads for $13.00 a box and felt lucky to find it. Nowadays I have been buying manufactured to rounds for 8 or 9 dollars a box. I keep an ammo box full of 9mm, 45 and 223 just in case. Always keep my brass and would be nice to have the ability to turn it into usable rounds if or when that time comes again

ruger333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I have been an ingo member since 2013 and read a lot of the post but don’t have enough post to be able to buy out of the marketplace yet. Saw a good deal on a press but wasn’t able to respond. I’m trying to be more active on the site to be able to act on the next good deal that comes up

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    As a fairly low volume shooter by ingo standards, I think it pays off for me; I'm too lazy to chase brass, so the 38s,357s and 44s i crank out on my lee .single stage with cast boolits (homemade and .commercial) are way cheaper and an entertaining way to spend some spare time. My press is c-clamped to a small stool, I can watch TV in the house while reloading. Yeah, I know, people will go crazy, but it works for me

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I shoot in cowboy action shooting matches. If you have ever priced .45 Colt you can see commercially made ammo would cost me about $120 at a match to shoot. If my wife shoots, you can almost double that. By reloading I can lower that to about $20. Plus CAS requires specific ammo, which is not so easy to find. As soon as the weather warms up I also plan on casting my own bullets, which will reduce my costs even more. In your case, I would just shop for a nice single stage press outfit. You can't beat the zen of reloading when you're in total control.
    There is such an outfit in the classifieds now, and he included his phone number so you don't need 50 posts to contact him. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...466325-rcbs-supreme-master-reloading-kit.html

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I can't speak to the cost saving of reloading pistol, but for rifle there is a savings....I can save 50% of the cost on my 30-06 and my 22-250 loads and I can build a 223 XTC load (600 yards) for the cost of cheap 55 grain plinking load......plus they are much more accurate then a factory load

Plus the hobby of reloading is very satisfying and a great way to relax

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I got into reloading with some buddies to find a load that was built specifically for our coyote rifles. I got into pistols when ammo was cheap and available. Then we had the ammo scare! I started collecting the components and tools so I could reload for my pistols. A few months ago I finally added a Lee Classic Turret press. I can do bulk stuff like 9mm, 223, 300AAC on the turret and still have my single stage for rifle loads or load development. Midway has the LCT kit for $220. I bought the kit because it was only a few extra dollars than if I bought the press and auto-drum and priming system. I can run it as a single stage, or I can auto index or do it manually. As it has been mentioned several times before, if you are only going to do 9mm, it will take a long time to re-coup your investment. However, throw in other cartridges that cost more, you will save more money. I don't shoot near enough to pile up savings, but by having everything I need on hand, it will be along time before I run out. I keep ammo stocked and components to make more. That way I will still have bullets when the shelves are bare in stores!

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I find it cost effective for 9mm. However I do load a lot. Like others have said, 9mm will take a long time to recoup the cost of the reloading tools. One thing that is nice with reloading is that you can cater your load to your firearm. So that means cheaper ammo with better accuracy!

Here is my cost breakdown!
    Brass=free (range pickup)
    Powder $140 for 8lb jug = 56000gr÷4gr=14000 rounds =about $.01 for powder

Bullets (I found coated works better than plated and I prefer blue bullets) $243 for 3600 125gr bullets = $.0675 a round.

Primers (I use Winchester and have a good deal) $27 per 1000 = $.027

.01+.0675+.027=$.1045. So $10.45 per 100 rounds. Thats half of what you're (OP) paying!

Top Bottom